Simple Home Network Question (Switch -> Router)

Ang

Gawd
I am having some people over this weekend and there will be a total of 5 computers. My linksys router only has 4 connections on the back of it.

If I network it like this

...................PC--|
...................PC--|-----------------------|-Router
...................PC--|
.PC---------|-Switch|
.PC---------|
Will the 2 PC's on the switch act as if they were on the router? Or is there a better way to do this?

So basically adding a switch to one of the router ports, and then putting 2 PC's into the switch.

It will work, just be sure you're using a crossover between the switch and the switchport on your router.

It will work, just be sure you're using a crossover between the switch and the switchport on your router.

Wait you need to connect a router and a switch with crossover cable? I've done it so many times using regular cat-5 cable and it works. Whats the benefit of using crossover?

technically, you need to have a crossover to connect switch to switch. Most switches today have auto-sense capabilities that can do the "cross-over" at the port level so you don't need need special cables any more.

Just try it out, see if it the ports light up. If they don't then go buy a cross-over cables.

This is exactly what I plan on doing as well.

What are some good cheap switches?

Back