Silverstone TJ09!

hmmm wierd... is yours the 120 extreme like mine? it was just barely too big to get it in.

That's weird, no one mentioned this before. Even though the q6600's stock fsb is 1066, you can just set it to 1333 as easy as that? (i may be confusing this with increasing the fsb aka overclocking)

Well it is overclocking, but with decent cooling you shouldn't have to much of a problem hitting 1333 fsb, unless you chip sucks.

I was able to install my 120 extreme outside of the case and slide the tray in. It was a little close, but it worked.

I was able to install my 120 extreme outside of the case and slide the tray in. It was a little close, but it worked.

Same here - was able to mount my 120 extreme outside the case & then slide the mobo tray back in. Was tight tho. Excellent cooler i find.

Mark

the ultra 120 extreme was too large to simply slide the mobo tray in with it installed which sucked. had to slide in the mobo tray and then install the HSF... very annoying, but other then that I love the case. ITS HUGE

But it fits? Excellent.

Can anyone please answer a couple of questions regarding this case for me.

I understand the dimensions of this box are 23.8'' x 8.3'' x 20.7 (DxWxH).

Can anyone tell me what are the measurements WITHOUT the feet?
Also, how easy is it to take off / put back on?

Thanks,

The feet probably remove quite easily... most likely either pop off, or have a center screw... either way, not difficult.

they have a center screw and actually come off too easily. I notice from dragging the case across my desk when I need to open it (much too heavy to lift) that eventually the feet get very loose and the case doesn't sit right and actually shifts side to side when touched with enough force. A phillips screwdriver tightens them back up however without an issue. You probably lose 1 - 1.25" with the feet removed, not much.

heres mine. someday ill take more pictures.

computer.jpg

I don't know much about watercooling, but isn't that tube on the right meant to have something in it?

So my TJ09 should arrive on wednesday. What's the consensus on fan orientation?

I've noticed a few variations around here and other boards/sites.

Right now the one that makes most sense to me from an air flow perspective is using both top fans as exhausts, the rear case fan as an intake (blowing directly onto the CPU cooler, the front as an intake(of course) and then orienting the CPU cooler so the fan blows upward into the two exhausts.

Unless there's some given reason why this is a bad layout I think it's what I'll be doing.

Would like to know the best fan setup as well.

Atm I have both top fans as intake, rear fan as exhaust. And the VGA fan as intake aswell ofc.

Would like to know the best fan setup as well.

Atm I have both top fans as intake, rear fan as exhaust. And the VGA fan as intake aswell ofc.

Thats how I have my fan orientation, and it works very well for me. Ambient Temps range from 25 - 32 degrees and my 8800 GTX idles at 50 degrees and load is 58 degrees.

I highly suggest replacing all the fans with better ones, like Scythe's.

Thats how I have my fan orientation, and it works very well for me. Ambient Temps range from 25 - 32 degrees and my 8800 GTX idles at 50 degrees and load is 58 degrees.

I highly suggest replacing all the fans with better ones, like Scythe's.

That is what I used before going to water. Worked really well in that orientation. I also had a fan blowing up on the HDD's in the top tray. My Zalman 9700 blew out towards the rear.

From above:

above.jpg

And from the side:

side.jpg

Sorry bout the crappy pic quality. My camera sucks and I was in a hurry. I'll try and snap some better ones when I get the final hardware I want in there too. I think I'm going to get rid of all the green fans too and go with more.. ah, subtle blue ones.

So i assume that all TJ09's have 2 x 120mm fans on the top ?

Also, which setup is one of the better ways for air cooling?

2x 120mm fan on top for intake
1x 120mm fan in inside near front for intake
1x 120mm rear for exhaust

OR

2x 120mm fan on top for exhaust
1x 120mm rear for intake

?

Mine is set to your top option:

2x 120mm fan on top for intake
1x 120mm rear for exhaust

The fans are all Akasa Ambers which seem to do the job well enough. I've got a Scythe Infinity with a push/pull set up with two 120mm fans. I've got everything cable-wrapped and tucked as best as I can and, after due experimentation, this has been the optimum set up for me (so far!) YMMV of course but this configuration works best for me.

From newegg, looks like it just comes with
1 x 120mm exhaust rear fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA
1 x 120mm intake Mid-section fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA

Probably the rear and midsection fans.

Luckily I already got several yate loons to fill it in with :)

I would say it'd be a good idea to fit them, I'm not sure about necessary but they definitely do help with the airflow in the case (which is really good.)

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input to this thread, it helped me decide to make the plunge. My TJ09 should be here tomorrow. I figured I'd post some "before" shots to have something to compare to when I'm finished. My old case is a CM Mystique, which is nice but my GPU cooling situation sux. I pretty much have to game with the side panel off for my temps to be acceptable. I'm hoping the TJ09 will help in this area:

61484185_o.jpg

61484414_o.jpg

I've allways loved that case, but nothing and I mean NOTHING is better than a Tj 09.

Considering it's features and looks, it's tough to beat. If I had to lug it around all the time I would keep it, but since I don't, and I'm CONSTANTLY messing with my machine, the TJ09 is going to make me much happier. God I miss having a motherboard tray, I can't wait! It seems that once 120mm fans came around, manufacturers gave up on the trays to fit the fans in.

first of all, i'm totally new here. so i guess hi to everyone...but...
i just got my TJ09 a couple of days ago(ive wanted it so bad and finally got it!).
now ive actually read thru this whole thread already and i havent seen anyone mention anything about filtering the vents around the case like the top and the HDD cages.
anyhow this is what it looks like right now:
dsc01370cg3.jpg

dsc01372xp4.jpg

the heat sink sucks so im debating if i want to get an Ultra 120 Extreme or just go liquid cooling. only problem with liquid cooling is i dont know which radiator to get. i wanna get 2 120mm paired with the Scythes S-Flex.

not yet. i'll be getting the Scythe's the next time i go to microcenter. but i have yet to figure out which 120mm radiator to get. i already picked a pump and reservoir.

OK, the case showed up today. I did a basic install, but I'm still waiting on the fans and some other toys to show up. Once I get everything in I'll try to tidy up a bit. One cool thing that I was able to do is I got the hard drives flipped around, so the cables are coming in from the back. It can be done with right angle cables and screwing in the drives with only 2 screws (still in there very solid because of the foam insulation)

61741381_o.jpg

61741376_o.jpg

61741366_o.jpg

61742483_o.jpg

Very [H]ard, how many fans did the tj09 come with?

Just 2 black ones, which I thought were a touch loud. I switched out the rear fan for a coolermaster blue LED fan that works great, and I'll change the GPU fan when the new fans I ordered show up. I ordered 2 SilenX's for the top and an A.C.Ryan Blackfire4 to use for GPU, since it seems to have high RPM and good air flow.

Temps are already down from the CM Mystique I had previously (shown above in previous post)

very nice. man I love this case.

Yes, it is nice. It's definitely BIG, but I guess that's a good thing since there's room to grow into it.

This is off-topic, but I figured I'd share this since it might happen to somebody else. I had the weirdest thing happen when I moved everything into this case. NONE of my DVI outputs were working at all, so I had NO VIDEO. This of course put me into a panic initially, as I thought maybe I shorted out one of the cards or something. So I went digging and found the analog VGA cable that came with my Viewsonic LCD. I hooked it up with a DVI-VGA adaptor that came with the video cards. Sure enough video is working fine. So why the dead DVI? For the hell of it, when I got into windows I pulled the cards out of SLI mode, then turned it back on. Sure enough the DVI started working again. It's like either the cards or monitor itself got confused during the re-install. This ever happen to anybody?

Although i love this case, and had all but decided on it for my next build, now i'm considering the TJ10.

Although i love this case, and had all but decided on it for my next build, now i'm considering the TJ10.

The TJ10 is awesome as well. I went with the 09 because I plan on putting in an intake fan in the drive bay area (modding the Lian-li one that goes with the PC-343) It will help out with the cooling, and add a little "flare" to the front panel. ;-)

I'm actually glad the version of the chassis without the door came out first. If it had been the other way around I'd have the 10 already and I'd be smacking myself for buying yet another case with a goddamn front panel door.

Never again.

The TJ10 is awesome as well. I went with the 09 because I plan on putting in an intake fan in the drive bay area (modding the Lian-li one that goes with the PC-343) It will help out with the cooling, and add a little "flare" to the front panel. ;-)

You talking about the kama bay coolers?

Back