Silverstone ST60F Review

holy @#@#$!

Oleg is distributing software now and data sets to load into it :rolleyes:
(last two links of the roundup)

xbitview.jpg

Nice review there jonny as always ;)
sorry about the outburst
but I dispair with ever catching up with Oleg some times :p

oh great you can interpolate the data sets and then overlay the ATX specs for a wattage class too :eek:

he has been a very busy boy

It's good to see someone has that software in English.

I know someone with software like that, but it's in Chinese. :eek:

you sure he didnt buy off Oleg?
I talked with him breifly in a thread over at SPCR
he has that automatic crossload setup available for reviewers that software might be bundled?
its got his copyright there at the top

I elected to go for the greater control available with the Agilent via GPIB
that and the faster slew rate to go after transient response testing
of course the 6050A Ive got is as dead as a doornail :p
(have to get estimates on fixing it)

Sorry. I just checked out the program.

Looks the same but it's not.

I didn't realize that Oleg's fed off of Oleg's collective data. The one in Chinese I saw can create a "virtual power supply" giving values for transistors, rectifiers, transformers, etc. to build a PSU. It takes into consideration potential crossload issues, like if you were to spec out what we would typically see as a 500W unit, but try to make it with 50A on the 5W rail and then feed into it that you'll be using a PC that puts a 20A total load on the 12V rails, it will tell you that you'll crossload the power supply.

Pretty neat really.

I'll see if he can email it to me.

It looks from this article that the 12v rails are getting a makeover to split the PCI-E rail

SLI and CrossFire Push Power Supplies to the Limit
Tony Ou of Silverstone also noted that they will be redesigning their power supplies in the future.
"512MB gaming cards in SLI/CrossFire will pull anywhere from around 15A to slightly over 20A (taking 120W divided by 12V = 10A per card) meaning that our +12V3 rail was overloaded as it has to share the power draw from the motherboard as well (which typically draws around 2 ~ 3A on its own). Since we rate our power supplies conservatively, the ST60F could actually run Kelt's 7800GTX 512MB SLI system for a while despite being technically overloaded on the +12V3 rail. As soon as the over current protection point of 20A on the +12V3 is reached, the power will automatically shut down.
To prevent this from happening again, we will make the following change to ST65ZF and ST60F:

+12V1(13A) : CPU1
+12V2(18A) : CPU2+SATA
+12V3(16A) : MB+VGA1
+12V4(18A) : HDD+VGA2

It's actually not "getting" a makeover. It has had the makeover. Even my ST60F, which I obtained way back in Novemver, has a 16A capable 12V3. The labels ALL still say 8A on the 12V3 because it would be very expensive to have to recertify the PSU with UL so they could re-print the label.

There's a reason almost all of the builds on Futuremark's Hall of Fame are Silverstone units. ;)

It has had the makeover
Oh thaks for that :eek: It now makes a lot more sense. I've just upgraded nmy PSU to Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF, very pleased with it .

Did a bit of research 1st Which has best Beefy PSU Lookesd as u can see at the 12v loadings & was concerned about the 12V4 loading which with an 8A Max seemed a distinct bottleneck. so I rejected these units & went with the simpler single rail unit.

I understand what your saying re cost but it would have been nice to see updated specs on the website :eek:

Thanks for the clarrification :)

I just got mine Friday, very nice looking. Cables are nice an easy to bend, quiet, SLI ready, etc. I'm waiting for Monarch to send my my motherboard and Opteron so I test 'er out.

Now that you've got that review up, you might want to give it an editing pass.

mikeblas said:
Now that you've got that review up, you might want to give it an editing pass.

Na....raw and unedited is jonny's style ;)

Back