Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

I see, looks promising for anything below 300W. I guess the Noiseblocker fan mod would still be relevant though? It's a more quiet fan regardless of rpm.
Unlikely, as you see from the chart, the rpm to volts profile of the Noiseblocker is higher than the expected profile of the fan in the SX600-G.

We will have to discover more details about the new fan before we can consider which replacement fans will be appropriate.

WiSK, I'm looking at the second graph you posted, the purple curve for the NB fan was measured when mounted in 45SF-G, correct? I think all these fans are 12V DC fan, and I suppose a PSU probably sends approx. 12V to the fan when it's outputting the maximum rated wattage to the system, so I can think of the peak rpm value (i.e. the right end) in each of the four colored curves in that graph as each fan's rpm for 12V, correct? In that case the NB fan and whatever stock fan in SX600-G both have similar rpm (looks like a difference of about 100rpm or so) for 12V, hence once NB fan is mounted in SX600-G, wouldn't it follow more or less the same rpm-vs-wattage curve since the rpm of a dc fan is proportional to the voltage supplied to the fan? I might be wrong for the "12V supplied to the fan for the peak wattage" assumption above, but if not then it does boil down to "noise quality" comparison between the stock fan vs the NB fan or whatever 80x80x15mm replacement in hand. I personally have never owned the 80x80x15mm NB fan (not available in my country) so I'm not saying the NB fan will have better "sound quality" at a given voltage compared to the stock fan in SX600-G. but it might.

WiSK, I'm looking at the second graph you posted, the purple curve for the NB fan was measured when mounted in 45SF-G, correct? I think all these fans are 12V DC fan, and I suppose a PSU probably sends approx. 12V to the fan when it's outputting the maximum rated wattage to the system, so I can think of the peak rpm value (i.e. the right end) in each of the four colored curves in that graph as each fan's rpm for 12V, correct? In that case the NB fan and whatever stock fan in SX600-G both have similar rpm (looks like a difference of about 100rpm or so) for 12V, hence once NB fan is mounted in SX600-G, wouldn't it follow more or less the same rpm-vs-wattage curve since the rpm of a dc fan is proportional to the voltage supplied to the fan? I might be wrong for the "12V supplied to the fan for the peak wattage" assumption above, but if not then it does boil down to "noise quality" comparison between the stock fan vs the NB fan or whatever 80x80x15mm replacement in hand. I personally have never owned the 80x80x15mm NB fan (not available in my country) so I'm not saying the NB fan will have better "sound quality" at a given voltage compared to the stock fan in SX600-G. but it might.

Yes you make a good point. If the voltage curve is indeed the same as the ST45SF-G, i.e. goes from ~6V to 12V, and the rpms curve between idle and load is similar, and the airflow is approx similar at 12V, then the Noiseblocker might be a valid replacement.

What I'm expecting however, is that it won't be necessary to change it at all.

Edit:
A PC shop owner from California that posts on OCN managed to lend one unit from Joel/Silverstone-USA

Jimhans1 said:
we put it on a load center there at Silverstone, and hit it with a 50A load for 10-15 minutes, even with my good ear right next to the fan, it only made the slightest purr, and the fan didn't kick on till 30c temp.

Last edited:
Who probably could have started selling SX600-G two months earlier had we choose to reuse ST45SF-G's fan. We hope this is worth it!

It's definitely worth it! A delay for that reason is always welcome. Low fan noise is crucial for me, and I'm definitely not alone. :)

A PC shop owner from California that posts on OCN managed to lend one unit from Joel/Silverstone-USA

"The slightest purr" with a 80mm fan at 2290 rpm (100% load, 50A @ 12V)? Either the ambient noise was high, he's partially deaf, or he's never heard a silent fan before. That, or the fan wasn't spinning at full tilt (maybe because the internal temperature didn't have time to rise high enough). :D

Oh, and the fan started spinning at 30 degrees? Wasn't it supposed to be 45?

Last edited:
"The slightest purr" with a 80mm fan at 2290 rpm (100% load, 50A @ 12V)? Either the ambient noise was high, he's partially deaf, or he's never heard a silent fan before. That, or the fan wasn't spinning at full tilt (maybe because the internal temperature didn't have time to rise high enough). :D

His definition of quiet is much different than say the SPCR crowd.

Ehh, I have had my 450G pulling over 500w at the wall, fan going full blast, it was still the quietest fan in the system. I'll take smaller and more powerful over that love child psu [referring to the SX500-LG].

http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-ml08-ftz01-owners-club/940#post_22113279

i'm wondering if this new 500W/120mm PSU isn't a good time for SST to revive the cooling concept introduced with the Sugo cases, where by a horizontal heatsink sits right below the PSU intake fan.

it was a mATX (case) / ATX (psu) system in the old days, but it made for the first decent SFF gaming PC self builds.

imagine it now with mITX (case) / SFX (psu)!

Not sure I understand what you mean R3MF :confused:

The Sg05/06/13 and the FT03-mini have this layout and are mITX/SFX.

Had this today
57ca7bcbf9f5b844aa2aba8ea783f27b_zps512e6493.jpg

Had this today..

How the heck does Japan get them in-store in the middle of July, and Silverstone Europe's not even expecting to get theirs for another 2 months?

So, you guys that have pre-orders will get them late September to October.. and those of us in the US that don't even have pre-order options yet, will probably be getting them much later?

Guess we'll blame that on the damn boutique Titan-Z builders too :rolleyes:

How the heck does Japan get them in-store in the middle of July, and Silverstone Europe's not even expecting to get theirs for another 2 months?

Shipping from taiwan to europe takes about 5-6 weeks ;)

Shipping from taiwan to europe takes about 5-6 weeks ;)

But they're soo small.. shove 'em on a plane! :D

Wonder what the ETA to US would be? I know TW to east coast takes forever.. hopefully they're aiming the slow boat direct to their Chino HQ or Newegg in California.

Last edited:
this is why i am particularly interested in the 500W 120mm PSU.

it will pair nicely with the 65W A10-7800 in a case like the the ft03-mini.

one 140mm intake, one 120mm outtake for the PSU/CPU.

Have there been reviews on the passive ability of the NT06-pro? It does state 65W TDP fanless cooling ability, but I'm curious as well if the 80mm fan can sufficiently cool a 65W CPU.

i still have a Sugo 03 system (six years and counting) using an older (less efficient) version of the NT06 cooler.

it has a 95W C2Q 6700 actively cooled by nothing but the 120mm fan in the PSU.

i have absolutely zero doubts that a Gold SFX PSU with an 80mm fan could cool a 65W APU with no noise/stress issues.

but the 500W 120mm PSU is a winner, it could do a 95W APU with no problems I'm sure.

i have absolutely zero doubts that a Gold SFX PSU with an 80mm fan could cool a 65W APU with no noise/stress issues.

As we've discussed, the SX600-G fan doesn't even switch on until 45C, and stays at low rpms until around 300W. The SX500-LG will also be semi-fanless, although we don't know details yet.

So I think for your idea to work, you'd have to prefer the fan profile of the ST45SF-G.

I don't think the semi-fanless PSU's are a good idea for CPU heatsinks without a fan.
Even a 65W CPU can heat up the heatsink enough to 60°C (without 100% load) without triggering the PSU's fan and when it does, it will get hot air to cool itself. Ideally you'd want a PSU with a minimum of 800rpm 120mm fan and a PSU that has temperature-based cooling and not semi-fanless operation.

Not sure if anyone here owns the Scythe SFX lomg version but I just saw this at the store and will probably buy one to take back to the US. Anyone know if it fits with a long GPU yet? I'm assuming its similar or the same as the Silverstone version

I might just be the guinea pig and test fit it next week if no one has info on it in a Ncase

As we've discussed, the SX600-G fan doesn't even switch on until 45C, and stays at low rpms until around 300W. The SX500-LG will also be semi-fanless, although we don't know details yet.

So I think for your idea to work, you'd have to prefer the fan profile of the ST45SF-G.

ah, had forgotten that. thanks.

I wonder if one could get away with running a cTDP A10-7800 in 45W mode in a FT03-mini using the 500W/120mm PSU....?

essentially an entirely passive system relying on the thermal-potential of the NT06-pro heatsink and the 140mm case intake.

Not sure if anyone here owns the Scythe SFX lomg version but I just saw this at the store and will probably buy one to take back to the US. Anyone know if it fits with a long GPU yet? I'm assuming its similar or the same as the Silverstone version

makes me wonder if both those two 6+2 PEG connectors are on the same 20A 12V rail : / ?

makes me wonder if both those two 6+2 PEG connectors are on the same 20A 12V rail : / ?

You know a "rail" in a modern switching power supply is just the addition of an over current protector just before the output. So the better question is: is the 20A enforced by the OCPs according to the outdated ATX spec? Or did the manufacturer use a single OCP set to 40A?

Since the picture on the back seems to indicate that they're both coming off of the same connection/wire, how could they not be?
Multiple voltage rails don't mean anything in this example, they still could have used two rails for one connector. In the end a PEG-8 connector is 5x GND and 3x +12V wires. But it could also be all coming from the same rail in the end, like WiSK is (partially) saying.
WiSK knows a million times more about PSU's than I do, but I think I understand what he's getting at :)

You mean the PSU connector ? But the connectors need three 12V each, so that's still not logical. My ST45SF-G only has 3 12V wires, the rest are ground, like the specs:

8pin-pcie-pinout.jpg

Power-Supply-Fundamentals,8-L-312645-13.jpg

pcie.jpg

PCIe 8-pin have three 12v, and five grounds. This to make it backwards compatible with 6-pin PCIe and to allow the GPU to sense in a safe way whether there is a 6-pin or an 8-pin plugged in.

Sorry, forgot to say what I meant: that pinout must be wrong.

PCIe 8-pin have three 12v, and five grounds. This to make it backwards compatible with 6-pin PCIe and to allow the GPU to sense in a safe way whether there is a 6-pin or an 8-pin plugged in.
I a well aware of that.

Sorry, forgot to say what I meant: that pinout must be wrong.

The pinout on the PSU must not follow the actual wiring though
It probably does though ;)

Last edited:
No I think the 80mm fan isn't really strong enough to manage it. But the other way around works well. Setting the NT06-Pro fan to blow upwards into the PSU reduces noise.

No this does not work. I had the FT03-Mini with the NT06 Pro. A 120mm fan was mounted on the NT06 blowing into the PSU. Problem: The NT06 gets hot, so the air blown through its fins gets hot as well and enters the PSU afterwards! This makes your PSU use 40°C - 50°C hot air for its cooling, meaning the PSU gets hot and loud.

In general, the PSU is the loudest component in the FT03-Mini. Perhaps the SX500 will do better?

Back