Silverstone SST-FT03-Mini (Mini-Itx)

It's a 140x25 fan replacing a 140x25 fan ... I don't know how the filter wouldn't fit over it. Heck there's a lot of spare room there, I bet you could even fit a thicker fan.

Yep, I assumed it would, but I've seen stranger things happen. Just wanted to make sure, finally ordering everything tomorrow! All of it from Amazon (go Prime!), I completely avoided NewEgg which I'm happy about.

Yep, I assumed it would, but I've seen stranger things happen. Just wanted to make sure, finally ordering everything tomorrow! All of it from Amazon (go Prime!), I completely avoided NewEgg which I'm happy about.
That's what I used to do :( I'm actually going the opposite way now, with Amazon now taxing TX purchases I've cancelled Prime and my last parts came from the Egg :eek:

Oh, it's not impressive, just that Xyexz was having some trouble painting his CM Elite 120 and the Coolermaster rep said their cases are electrically charged. (http://www.overclock.net/t/1295261/...er-master-elite-120-advanced/20#post_17996487)
The electrical charge applied to a part while being powder coated is not going to magically stay with the part for a lifetime. The issues with RF reception and the painting issues in that other thread are from something other than the charge imparted to the case from the OEM powdercoating process.

The electrical charge applied to a part while being powder coated is not going to magically stay with the part for a lifetime.

I have a brand new FT03-mini in the other room. Now if only I had a box of iron filings to prove you right. :D

The Cougar fan came in today and it's an acoustic improvement under load, as expected. It's not dead silent like my SilverStone LC20 HTPC with Noctua and Nexus fans, but the system as a whole is very pleasant to sit close to. My ear is approximately 18-24 inches from the front panel, level with the front logo. I've set the bios to keep the fan at 700 RPM until the temperature reaches 55C, at which point it rises to a max of 1200 RPM. The 140mm Cougar is only making a subjectively pleasant wind noise at that speed. What's more, my desk no longer picks up any weird vibration that I had while using the AP 141.

Idle temps remain the same, 25C w/room temp at 75F
Load temps increased to an average of 57C, a rise of 2C. I believe this is simply the result of the Cougar maxing at 1200RPM while the Air Penetrator hits 1500. I'll sacrifice 2C for a savings in noise pollution.

Here's my final image gallery until my new Galaxy GC 660 Ti video card arrives. I'm perhaps willing to wait and see what will happen in the Spring, as I'm a little underwhelmed with what $300-400 USD achieves atm.

http://imgur.com/a/JC8mK

Specs:
i7-3770
Antec Kuhler 620 CPU cooler
ASRock H77M-itx
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Black (2x4GB)
Seasonic X-560 PSU (full ATX PSU, not SFX)
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
WD Blue 500GB 2.5" (quiet)

I stuffed a full ATX PSU into it rather than the SFX PSU it's designed for. All it took was the straightening of a flange, no cutting or drilling. Second, I modified the DVD bracket that originally has hdd trays/flanges which block the use of a push/pull radiator setup. With that modification, and the use of an SFX PSU, it can hold a hard drive, use the DVD/BR drive, and allow for a double thick radiator (like the H80) with 120mm pull fan in addition to the 140mm push fan.

Since the photos, I've removed the unnecessary 120mm pull fan and replaced the stock 140mm push fan with the aforementioned Cougar. I've also rearranged the hard drives and the radiator position to keep the hoses away from the PCI-E lane

Last edited:
Boy it's only cheap elctrostic paint. It' not powder coating at all. It holds a semi staitc charge same as you do that it. Nothing too worru about. Pussy footing over...good

I cut the tab off the optical cage today and just filled it down smothe, Looks good. I'll clean the edges with some black perma marker and job's a gooden.

I had a idea.

Relocate the power & reset buttons from the top. LED's optional as well, this then opens the top up some! USB's can be done where ever you wish.

71 millimetres = 2.79527559 inches to be exact. This is to te top of the case edge from the innder case.

2nd rad loaction perhaps?

2 140mm rads, 1 at the base 1 at the top. Dual loops GFX and CPU or a combined loop.

Yes a new lid will be needed but it' just a sheet with some folded sides and the clips taken off the current one, dead easy!

I also seen space for a smaller rad. Maybe a dual 80mm on the back.

There is the front but it would have to be done right not too spoil the looks.

You mean a dual 80mm like this across the back of the top area?
http://www.magicool.biz/2x80.htm

and could put one of those cylinder reservoirs horizontally next to it
http://www.magicool.biz/product_agb150.htm

Yep im using an Asus P8Z77-I deluxe so i have a massive VRM board to look out for but an dual 80mm rad would fit.

Nah res i'd go with the smallest Laing DDC tank an top job or a T-line. Failing that there are them tiny Alpha cool pumps, duno if any good or not

Code:
Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Tuesday, 08/28/2012, By End of Day
Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Wednesday, 08/29/2012, By End of Day

Go UPS.. now, can someone make it tomorrow, please?

So I've got a FT-03 mini myself, put an i5 16 gb of ram, a 7850, running of the silverstone st45fs-g, using a Corsair H60 for the CPU.

Just wondering how everyone is doing with cable management, I can't seem to do a very good job with this case, and my 7850 is getting really hot while gaming, I have to take off the front panel to let it suck in cool air since there is so little clearance, gets up to 86c *scary*. Everything else stays nice and cool around 39 though.

So I've got a FT-03 mini myself, put an i5 16 gb of ram, a 7850, running of the silverstone st45fs-g, using a Corsair H60 for the CPU.

Just wondering how everyone is doing with cable management, I can't seem to do a very good job with this case, and my 7850 is getting really hot while gaming, I have to take off the front panel to let it suck in cool air since there is so little clearance, gets up to 86c *scary*. Everything else stays nice and cool around 39 though.

Perhaps the fan profile for the 7850 isn't setup right? Is it overclocked? Are the fans on the card ramping up properly, or at all? I'd expect a load temp like that if your fans are running around 10% or something low like that. Perhaps someone has some hands on insight with that card.

I think your wiring job would have to be pretty brutal to directly cause temps like that. I managed to get every wire flush with the far side panel, opposite to the PCI-E lane. The CPU cooler hoses are the only things in the path of my airflow.

Do you have a fan on top of the radiator? I'm wondering if somehow your video card is sucking the heat off the radiator..

Uh oh.. this does not bode well for my build, and I'm planning to use the X-460 fanless which I believe has longer cables :D

Uh oh.. this does not bode well for my build, and I'm planning to use the X-460 fanless which I believe has longer cables :D

I considered the 460.. but it's such a small case, and with a decent video card, it would keep me up at nights (I run my PC's 24x7, many times at full load).. I went with the X-560 just for the fan (and better value, IMO).

yeah in a sff case with questionable cooling i would no go fanless unless absolutely necessary. the X560 doesnt even spin up its fan until it heats up right? it should basically be fanless at idle and nea silent at load which is way better for peace of mind and for your components.

my 7850 is getting really hot while gaming,.

Which 7850? I see many of those with center fans. Did you read page 26 of the FT03-mini manual?

Also, how is your PSU oriented? Is the fan pulling air from the motherboard, or is it reversed and trying to pull air through the solid side panel?

That was my question too. Is the video card a reference type card that exausts out the end (upwards in this case) or one that just blows off into the case? Ideally in a case like this you want a GPU that exhausts out the end (up) for best temps.

Open Question To All: Whats the normal temps for a 7850 under load? That is what the OP is said is happening basically. 86C while gaming.

Perhaps the fan profile for the 7850 isn't setup right? Is it overclocked? Are the fans on the card ramping up properly, or at all? I'd expect a load temp like that if your fans are running around 10% or something low like that. Perhaps someone has some hands on insight with that card.

I think your wiring job would have to be pretty brutal to directly cause temps like that. I managed to get every wire flush with the far side panel, opposite to the PCI-E lane. The CPU cooler hoses are the only things in the path of my airflow.

Yeah, the fans ramp up just fine, I can actually run it at like 80% and it it'll still get higher temperatures like that.

Which 7850? I see many of those with center fans. Did you read page 26 of the FT03-mini manual?

Also, how is your PSU oriented? Is the fan pulling air from the motherboard, or is it reversed and trying to pull air through the solid side panel?

It's the XFX double D edition, the fans suck from the front and push it out the sides and top of the card, I realize that the manual said to get one that pushed out the top only, but I honestly could not find one that was under 10 inches long that wasn't a really weak card. I really think the big issue is that the fans only have 1/4 inch of clearance and are trying to suck air through a solid aluminum panel, if the fans faced the other way, I don't think this would be an issue. I'm very tempted to drill holes in the case, but then I'd ruin the way it looks.

I do need to flip the PSU, it's oriented the wrong way, but I couldn't get the HDD cage to fit in with the PSU oriented with the fan pulling from the motherboard, and I'm not having issues with the motherboard overheating...

Well, still battling the build.. I'm giving up for tonight.. Got everything in except the top radiator fan and the SSD.. booted up OK without those parts, just for a test..

All I can say is think long and hard before you decide to go away from the SFF power supply.. it makes cable management so much more difficult. Looks like a rats nest in there right now. Not sure I'll be able to do too much cleaning up.. hopefully tomorrow I can get the SSD mounted somewhere in there, and I may just ditch the 120mm top radiator fan.. H80 + 120mm + X-560 does not leave a ton of extra room.

I considered the 460.. but it's such a small case, and with a decent video card, it would keep me up at nights (I run my PC's 24x7, many times at full load).. I went with the X-560 just for the fan (and better value, IMO).

yeah in a sff case with questionable cooling i would no go fanless unless absolutely necessary. the X560 doesnt even spin up its fan until it heats up right? it should basically be fanless at idle and nea silent at load which is way better for peace of mind and for your components.

Ehhh I went for the fanless just so that it would stay quiet. Does it whine under load or something? It's being delivered as I post this :rolleyes:

Well, still battling the build.. I'm giving up for tonight.. Got everything in except the top radiator fan and the SSD.. booted up OK without those parts, just for a test..

All I can say is think long and hard before you decide to go away from the SFF power supply.. it makes cable management so much more difficult. Looks like a rats nest in there right now. Not sure I'll be able to do too much cleaning up.. hopefully tomorrow I can get the SSD mounted somewhere in there, and I may just ditch the 120mm top radiator fan.. H80 + 120mm + X-560 does not leave a ton of extra room.

Do you mind posting a picture of your nest? :D Just wanna have an idea how bad it's going to be.. although from SalemSwift's album things looked pretty clean.

Ehhh I went for the fanless just so that it would stay quiet. Does it whine under load or something? It's being delivered as I post this :rolleyes:

Do you mind posting a picture of your nest? :D Just wanna have an idea how bad it's going to be.. although from SalemSwift's album things looked pretty clean.

No problem, I'll do that in a few hours after I wake up.. :) I had planned on giving it one more college try before accepting defeat and doing whatever I can to just cram it closed.

Be prepared to cringe.. :)

OK boys and girls.. get ready for some ugly!

Actually, while it is ugly, I do have some decent clearance above the radiator, except for that one big PSU cable.

Having done this build, and looking at Salem's, I think I would go with the Antech cooler now as well.. these Corsair tubes are so stiff they really get in the way..

Actually, while it is ugly, I do have some decent clearance above the radiator, except for that one big PSU cable.

Having done this build, and looking at Salem's, I think I would go with the Antech cooler now as well.. these Corsair tubes are so stiff they really get in the way..

*snip*

Forget rats nest, that thing is a snake pit!

Thanks for the photos, I'm definitely scared lol. I went for the Thermaltake AIO cooler which is pretty much identical to the Antec 620 so hopefully it'll be easier. It's gonna be an interesting experience for a first ever build >_>

Yeah, it's brutal.. I cleaned it up a bit this morning, used some velcro ties to organize cables and tie them to the corner posts.. Managed to squeeze the SSD in there next to the radiator (hope it doesn't melt, but I don't think the radiator should ever get that hot) and somehow I closed the case..

Gotta get windows on there so I can watch temps, but BIOS had it holding at ~28-29C.. Hopefully temps remain OK and I never have to open this bastard again.. but we'll see. :)

Wow, that is some ugly. I been looking at this case too. I'd probably opt for the new modular 450w unit Silverstone has.

Yep, she's an ugly one, but working well.. been getting windows configured and software installed for the last hour or so, CPU temp is hovering around 28C.. pretty speedy thus far, so I'm happy. Looks like the hardware was solid, I was really concerned after the bottom of the motherboard had some sticky stuff on it, but she's running strong.

I recall reading about the Corsair radiator hoses being difficult to flex compared to plain rubber hoses. I ditched the pull fan because of noise and my temps didn't do anything significant, +2C load.

I think your difficulty stems from the radiator hoses taking up your side panel room and not wrapping the PSU cables like I have them, most of which are between the motherboard/hdd wall and the radiator. Is the H80 larger in all dimensions? It appears that the top of the radiator, where the hoses exit, takes up all the gap between the panel and the radiator. In mine, I have room there to stuff some wires. Afterall, we have the same PSU.

http://imgur.com/a/5KLwf#2

I think at the end of the day, as long as your CPU and GPU are cooling well, you could call it a day. If the appearance bothers you, then keep working at it.

Last edited:

Doesn't look any worse than my snake pit/rats nest! Looks like you decided to use a full size PSU?

Forget rats nest, that thing is a snake pit!

Thanks for the photos, I'm definitely scared lol. I went for the Thermaltake AIO cooler which is pretty much identical to the Antec 620 so hopefully it'll be easier. It's gonna be an interesting experience for a first ever build >_>

You definately chose a chalenge for your first build! I'm using a Thermaltake AIO cooler in mine. It is identical to the Antec, and the hoses do seem more flexible than the Corsair.

Wait, I see another reason the wiring was different from mine. Most ITX boards have the 24 pin connector below the memory, like yours. I picked a board where the 24 pin connector was on the far panel, near all of the other connections. I still don't think it matters much in the end. You could always make your own or find someone on the forum that would be willing to create some custom length cabling.

I recall reading about the Corsair radiator hoses being difficult to flex compared to plain rubber hoses. I ditched the pull fan because of noise and my temps didn't do anything significant, +2C load.

I think your difficulty stems from the radiator hoses taking up your side panel room and not wrapping the PSU cables like I have them, most of which are between the motherboard/hdd wall and the radiator. Is the H80 larger in all dimensions? It appears that the top of the radiator, where the hoses exit, takes up all the gap between the panel and the radiator. In mine, I have room there to stuff some wires. Afterall, we have the same PSU.

http://imgur.com/a/5KLwf#2

I think at the end of the day, as long as your CPU and GPU are cooling well, you could call it a day. If the appearance bothers you, then keep working at it.

Agreed, but my radiator is double-height, and I had 2 hard drives, plus 2 power cables to the video card.. just less room to work with and some nasty-inflexible hosing on that H80.. Seems to be cool so far.

Doesn't look any worse than my snake pit/rats nest! Looks like you decided to use a full size PSU?

You definately chose a chalenge for your first build! I'm using a Thermaltake AIO cooler in mine. It is identical to the Antec, and the hoses do seem more flexible than the Corsair.

Thanks :) I'm just glad I didn't crack a radiator hose in the process.. :)

If there's no challenge then there's no fun I say :p

Well, I think I have figured out that my graphics card is actually defective, I ran furmark and it overheated in 5 minutes even with the case panels off, so RMA it is!

Well, I think I have figured out that my graphics card is actually defective, I ran furmark and it overheated in 5 minutes even with the case panels off, so RMA it is!

That's good you know it wasn't anything you did..! Suck to have to RMA, but at least you're not stuck with a crappy card. :)

Keep us updated on the results with the new card, I'd like to use a 7850 in my setup, but am a bit worried about cooling.

Speaking of video cards, as long as the GTX 780 stays with a 10" PCB, I might be willing to save more pennies in the interim and slip that or the GTX 770 into this case.

Speaking of video cards, as long as the GTX 780 stays with a 10" PCB, I might be willing to save more pennies in the interim and slip that or the GTX 770 into this case.

I'd love to see this as well - but I'm guessing it's wishful thinking, considering GK110 is a much more power-hungry chip. Oh well, guess I'll have to try the let-the-GPU-stick-through-the-floor-of-the-case mod ;)

Hey guys, my parts arrived this week and couldn't wait to start my build!

Here's how far I got tonight: http://imgur.com/a/wKmwy

I have one question:
On the last picture it seemed to boot up fine, as you can see I got the American Megatrends screen. However, I don't think it beeped? Just wondering whether I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Back