Silverstone sfx 450 bronze vs gold

Ca11idus

Limp Gawd
Is there anyone here that can tell me how much noisier the gold rated psu is compared to the bronze rated psu?

Thanks

If anything, the gold will be less noisy due to higher efficiency and less heat put out.

For most usage scenarios, the difference will probably be minimal.

You really shouldn't look at PSUs in terms of their 80PLUS cert level, as it's mostly a joke. The 80PLUS tests are conducted at unrealistic ambient temperatures (I think its 25C) which you almost never will get down to with the PSU sucking in hot computer case air.

The difference in efficiency between bronze and gold is at most 10-15%, with usually a large price spread. In most cases a bronze level PSU is fine, but if you're really anal about just a tad more efficiency, you can go with the gold rated part.

A SFX is one area where I will always recommend a silver or better PSU, IMHO. Less noise. Less heat, and provided you keep it cool, it will typically have better output quality... A big deal in the 400-500w capacity area.

Gold one is a bit louder than Brown on initial speed of fan (idle). On full power I think they are almost same...

Fan%20speed%20curve%20comparison%20with%20ST45SF-G%20&%20ST45SF.jpg

Last edited:
The difference in efficiency between bronze and gold is at most 10-15%, with usually a large price spread. In most cases a bronze level PSU is fine, but if you're really anal about just a tad more efficiency, you can go with the gold rated part.

A 10% difference in efficiency at 500w running 24/7 will save you $7/mth at $0.20kw/h

thats how much I pay for power and is why I went for a platinum rated psu

A 10% difference in efficiency at 500w running 24/7 will save you $7/mth at $0.20kw/h

Provided that you actually run at 500w 24/7... most computers idle around 100-200 watts and aren't on 24/7.

Is there anyone here that can tell me how much noisier the gold rated psu is compared to the bronze rated psu?

I have both of these PSUs and Phinix's graph shows it accurately. The bronze is quieter than the gold because the fan starts at higher rpms on the gold.

I've seen many people write on various forums that the noise of the fan on the gold unit is unbearable, but I didn't find that. It was quieter than the rest of my system. Still I did swap the fan for a Noiseblocker PC-P and now I can't hear the PSU at all. Has been running 24/7 (folding@home) since January at about 280-300W from the wall, and no problems.

Except there is a 5% difference in efficiency between Bronze and Gold at all tested load levels. And that's the maximum difference.

So let's assume 82%/87% efficiency at 500W load. That's an effective 609.8W/574.7W drawn by each power supply, or a difference of 35.0W (.035kW).

.035kW * 24 hours/day * 30 days/month * $.20/kW = $5.05/month saved

But that's if you're doing something like Bitcoin mining or Folding where you're going to be at high power draw 24/7.

In a more realistic gaming PC scenario of an average 300W power draw for 4 hours per day, or an effective 352.9W/333.3W wall draw, so 19.6W difference (.0196kW). And lowering the power rate to the national average of $.12/kW, we get...

.0196kW * 4 hours/day * 30 days/month * $.12/kW = $0.28/month saved

So yeah. Gonna take a while to pay off that efficiency difference.

Back