Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

It's most definitely time for this:

9e9.gif

Oops, that's a repost. Oh well, it's called for ;)

Tony Ou, where are ya man. I'm in need of one of these in a black SG05 for a mod build!

Will we just have to keep searching for it to be on sale, or will SilverStone announce that it's available to purchase and where we may do so?

Google shows quite a few places selling it now.

In Australia it's long been available to preorder at several places
In Europe you can preorder from alternate.de (Germany) or ldlc.com (France)
For Japan, I see that amazon.co.jp has someone selling it.
Taiwan I see it on www.ruten.com.tw

But nothing searchable/visible in North America yet...

Sorry for the lack of update, but I figured I should wait until our US office actually received them before I post again. So here I am...;)

ST45SF-G should start showing up at your favorite North American e-tailers in the next few days or by next week.

Sorry for the lack of update, but I figured I should wait until our US office actually received them before I post again. So here I am...;)

ST45SF-G should start showing up at your favorite North American e-tailers in the next few days or by next week.

w00t. Now give us a short cable kit, individually sleeved like Corsairs kits. :) I suppose if I could catch mdpc while the shops open it wouldn't be a problem but every time I go to buy something they are closed.

Thanks for the update Tony! Do we have an MSRP?

Do you know if the fan used is different than on the previous, non-modular, version? Do you know if it spins slower, making it more quieter?

Do you know if the fan used is different than on the previous, non-modular, version? Do you know if it spins slower, making it more quieter?

Good question. I've struggled with waiting for this over the non-modular model. I figure many people will likely be using all, or 1 shy of all, the cables anyway. So that leaves the hope at 2 improvements I suppose; quieter operation and then of course power efficiency.

Last edited:
The rpm of the fan in the bronze version is entirely proportional to the power load. At idle up to 50% load, it's rated at 18dB. At 70% load (>315W) the fan starts to spin much faster to get rid of excess heat. At full load it's spinning at 3000rpm in order to move enough air to keep the components cool. There's a graph on the product page of the ST45SF.

Although the new ST45SF-G is now more efficient, it's unlikely there's been any significant reductions in heat dissipation from the components. And the fan is still 80mm, and it'll still need to move a similar amount of air as the previous model.

TL;DR don't get your hopes up that the gold version will be much quieter if you're using more than 300W.

The non-modular version was way too loud for me even at 15% load. Same thing with the stock SG05 PSU. So now I've got a full ATX PSU in my SG05.

And for Europe, I got an email this morning:
Code:
TN4I11           SilvStone ST45SF-G              450W SFX
The date-of-delivery given by the manufacturer / pre-supplier is 24.08.2012.

Although the new ST45SF-G is now more efficient, it's unlikely there's been any significant reductions in heat dissipation from the components.

What you just said doesn't make much sense. Higher efficiency is EXACTLY equivalent to lower heat dissipation from the components:

Roughly:
for exemple
Bronze: 300W delivered is 300/.85=353W drawn so 53W dissipated
Gold: 300W delivered is 300/.9=333W drawn so 33W dissipated

Hmm yes, good point. I was thinking "it's only 5% so it's not significant", but indeed: going from 15% dissipation to 10% dissipation is a third less heat, which is significant.

Good catch, my bad!

Thanks, Tony!

Is this going to be sold separately or just as part of a case? I ended up redesigning the layout for my build (going vertical on the psu), so it will now be a scratch build (again, lol).

Thanks, Tony!

Is this going to be sold separately or just as part of a case? I ended up redesigning the layout for my build (going vertical on the psu), so it will now be a scratch build (again, lol).

It's a PSU sold on its own. They make a number of power supplies, all of which are available separately from cases.

$93.99 according to Amazon ;)

Also on AVADirect for $111.45 (though google shopping was saying $99 + shipping).

$93.99 according to Amazon ;)

Also on AVADirect for $111.45 (though google shopping was saying $99 + shipping).

Reasonable price. Might be nice for my planned build. This or a Pico. Decisions, decisions..........

Just preordered at Antares pro for $102 shipped... If I would have known that it was a preorder before a small footnote on the last page I would have done amazon w/ prime... Oh well, now for the waiting game

anyone know what the cables are like on this? looks like it has a 24-pin, 8-pin, and 2 6-pins on the unit. it should a lot more than 4 cables though. are they daisy chained or are you only able to use a couple at a time or what? id like to see all the cables laid out so i can see what all connectors they have on both ends instead of just one.

1 cable atx 20+4
1 cable eps 4+4
1 cable pcie 2 connectors 6+2, 6
1 cable sata 3 connectors
1 12V/5V cable, 2 old-fashion "molex" connectors, 1 old-fashioned floppy connector
http://www.silverstonetek.com/goods_cable_define/st45sf-g-cable-define.pdf

cool, thanks. i looked in the pdf manual on the product page but it didnt even have that. well i guess if you want a mobo, cpu, gpu, hard disk, and any fans then you need all the cables anyway. think i'll just stick with my st45sf as i dont think my cables will look any better with this. if i was buying new i would get it though.

think i'll just stick with my st45sf as i dont think my cables will look any better with this.

I'm pretty sure I read that the modular cables which are included with the -G will indeed be much the same as the bronze model. Of course, with a modular unit like this, you can now get a crimping tool and easily make your own cables ;)

I'm pretty sure I read that the modular cables which are included with the -G will indeed be much the same as the bronze model. Of course, with a modular unit like this, you can now get a crimping tool and easily make your own cables ;)

truth. you also get gold instead of bronze. :cool: not worth $100 to me unfortunately.

Are we going to see an SG05 update or something, including this power supply?

Are we going to see an SG05 update or something, including this power supply?

that would be excellent!!

or
SG05v2 = toolless design, remove the vents from the top and add a removable dust filter form the front, thats easy to remove.

Or what about a SG05/SG08 hybrid - in other words a case with the dimensions of the SG05 (maybe a little shorter and flatter?) and stick this SFX power supply at the front.

I dunno, call it the SG10! ;D

So when are Amazon.com and Newegg going to have stock? I've placed an order with Amazon already. Just waiting now for them to get these in stock...

My Amazon order page says they expect to ship the PSU between August 23, 2012 - September 5, 2012. In my experience, estimates like this are usually too safe and the product winds up shipping sooner.

My Amazon order page says they expect to ship the PSU between August 23, 2012 - September 5, 2012. In my experience, estimates like this are usually too safe and the product winds up shipping sooner.

We will be waiting on the quick review from you :D

Back