Silverstone FT03... matx

Hi there, I have a black FT03 on order, but may change to a silver model whilst DirectCanada sort their stock out.

Can anyone with a Silver FT03 post some pictures with all the side panels on and it sitting on the desk please?

Thanks.

PS. I am 3rd time fortress owner, having an FT01 i7 build, an FT02 i7 build and now moving to an FT03 SB i5 build, am I going to be disappointed, or does this case rightfully own the prestigious Fortress name?

I have a silver SG06, and the ONLY thing I hated about it was how it was made to be silver. The front panel was a very beautiful brushed aluminum. I would of liked soft aluminum styling better (ala macbookpro/alienwarem17xR2 lunar silver), but whatever. However, the side panels were a disgusting painted silver... ewwww...... so I ordered the standard black FT03, like my SG02, SG05, SG05 450, SG07 are :p

I read in a review it was painted siver, so... that's why I didn't choose the silver FT03. I may be wrong, however. My memory does suck, more so than a leaky straw....

Hi there, I have a black FT03 on order, but may change to a silver model whilst DirectCanada sort their stock out.

Can anyone with a Silver FT03 post some pictures with all the side panels on and it sitting on the desk please?

Thanks.

PS. I am 3rd time fortress owner, having an FT01 i7 build, an FT02 i7 build and now moving to an FT03 SB i5 build, am I going to be disappointed, or does this case rightfully own the prestigious Fortress name?

Personally I really like the case. It looks nice and distinguished on my desk, with no gaudiness and such.

However, if I may make one recommendation before you change colors, make sure to do a careful consideration of whether the side-vent will become an eyesore to you. Some don't mind it, but some (including myself) can't really stand it, since it's an off-color from the rest of the case paint-wise. That's largely why I went with black, since the side vent panel blends in much better.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have considered the side panel coloring and am really 50/50 with it as I would like to upgrade my NEC to a Cinema Display in the near future and was hoping that the Silver case had aluminum to match that, however, if as previously said, the case is painted silver instead of coated or polished then I think I may pass and leave it black.

As a side note, would it be worth getting the black one and maybe stripping the 4 panels down and having them coated, I am unsure as to whether Silverstone powder coat the Aluminum or use a coloring to make it black.

Thanks again.

PPS, I read previously that someone had bad temps with the new Corsair H60, which as I'm currently using a H50 and very pleased with, I was going to use in my new build.

Anyone else have one of these in the FT03 that could comment?

*whew* the twins fit!! :D :D

Now I'm waiting for FedEX to ship my AX850, was supposed to be here today. It's still in Ohio:mad:.

And ASUS... WTH?? No SLI bridge!? I mean, no CF is allright, since every decent AMD card has a CF bridge, but NO nVidia card comes with one by default! Seriously!

that is pretty slick looking jeremy, our builds always come out so similiar
im basically just a mini ft03
10elyrl.jpg

if they could make it just a bit smaller I would definitely jump on one

Nice!! We're build twins :p

yeah, the FT03 has roughtly the volume of two SG07 cases, or *nearly* 4 SG05 cases, lol...

haha so it seems. yeah its a bit big for my taste. If only it wasnt quite as tall. Im still tempted though. the custom case should be cool, but im not really a fan of acyrlic, and im a HUGE fan of silverstone cases.. and your ft03 makes me want one even more!
I almost got the ax series psu as well, but got a good deal on a used one. guess it just wasnt meant to be

yeah, it's a lither around 4.5 inches taller than a SG07 standing on it's front, due to the "back IO/ top 120mm fan" area on all Silverstone 90deg cases. You can use nonclear acrylic, white acrylic, or white+black accent (thinking NZXT here :p), with a custom case. you can do anything to make it look good :)

PPS, I read previously that someone had bad temps with the new Corsair H60, which as I'm currently using a H50 and very pleased with, I was going to use in my new build.

Anyone else have one of these in the FT03 that could comment?
That was actually me who had experimented with the H60. :p

It turns out that my primary issues with it were actually due to the BIOS giving an incorrect temperature measurement. In Windows using CPUID's HWMonitor, idle temperatures were in the low 30s C generally and the max load I saw briefly was around 48 or so C, non-OC'd.

I ended up switching though and using a H70, which is chugging along nicely and running a few degrees C cooler for both idle and load.

I was just about to order this case yesterday, and saw that they're out of stock. Hopefully they get some in early next week, as I've got my system open air now.

Thanks ToastyBread,

I think I'll go with the H60 as the main reviews I've looked at have it pinned just a little better than the H50 but quieter aswell.

Considering the cheapest I can get another H50 / H70 is over $75 before Tax and Shipping and the cheapest I've seen the H60 for is $65 + Tax and free shipping, it seems like a no brainer.

Also, I think given the temps and power req of the i5 2400 I've got waiting to go in this should give me a nice build with roughly the same grunt as my i7 920 and half the power and temps which should suit the smaller Ft03 nicely.

I was just about to order this case yesterday, and saw that they're out of stock. Hopefully they get some in early next week, as I've got my system open air now.

they should be in stock at FrozenCPU - where I got mine :)

*whew* the twins fit!! :D :D

Now I'm waiting for FedEX to ship my AX850, was supposed to be here today. It's still in Ohio:mad:.

And ASUS... WTH?? No SLI bridge!? I mean, no CF is allright, since every decent AMD card has a CF bridge, but NO nVidia card comes with one by default! Seriously!

nice build. what about the gpu temperature?

Any word on whether or not the Noctua NH-D14 will fit? Trying to decide on this or the TJ08 Evolution, and its probably going to come down to whichever case will fit it.
Im thinking it fitting would probably come down to where the CPU is on the motherboard, but with mATX, I can't imagine its placement varying too much from other motherboards.

I have an H70, but the mounting bracket is broken, stupid metal screw inserts keep bending the plastic backplate, don't know why Corsair opted for that one piece to be cheap plastic, when the rest is all metal. The cooler also has an air bubble in it. I don't really want to buy a new H70 to replace my NH-D14 unless I absolutely have to.

nice build. what about the gpu temperature?
I'm sorry, I don't know, yet. All I got is a 600W Silvertone PSU only capable of powering one GPU under load, so I'll get temps next tuesday/wednessday or so.
Any word on whether or not the Noctua NH-D14 will fit? Trying to decide on this or the TJ08 Evolution, and its probably going to come down to whichever case will fit it.
Im thinking it fitting would probably come down to where the CPU is on the motherboard, but with mATX, I can't imagine its placement varying too much from other motherboards.

I have an H70, but the mounting bracket is broken, stupid metal screw inserts keep bending the plastic backplate, don't know why Corsair opted for that one piece to be cheap plastic, when the rest is all metal. The cooler also has an air bubble in it. I don't really want to buy a new H70 to replace my NH-D14 unless I absolutely have to.

The NH-D14 will (>90% likelyhood) fit. HOWEVER... the bigger issue is PCIe slot interference from the massive cooler.

Juuuuust curious, does anyone know how GTX295 singlePCB, HD6990, or GTX590 fare in this case? A quick serach didn't turn up much.

they should be in stock at FrozenCPU - where I got mine :)

Canada here :)

Also, do you know if Asus will ship out SLI bridges? I noticed too, that I am without one with my board. Kind of weird; like they're forcing you to go Crossfire :D I wonder who bribed who...?

better get to seem some build pics and results as well
I'll get build pics and blobliddyblah up, too :D
Canada here :)

Also, do you know if Asus will ship out SLI bridges? I noticed too, that I am without one with my board. Kind of weird; like they're forcing you to go Crossfire :D I wonder who bribed who...?

I know ASUS ROG boards come with SLI bridges, but nothing like the Maximus IV GENE is out for SB, yet (my old mATX mobo was a R2G). I know eVGA will ship out extra long SLI bridges, maybe look at ebay or [H] for better deals, however :(

This is a nice case, but why is it so expensive? $169 for a mATX case. That's a lot of money to pay. I can get an Antec 300 case for $30 and it performs just as well

This is a nice case, but why is it so expensive? $169 for a mATX case. That's a lot of money to pay. I can get an Antec 300 case for $30 and it performs just as well

It wouldn't perform just as well. This case can fit longer video cards, taller heatsinks, and has a desktop footprint that is about half the size of the 300.

It wouldn't perform just as well. This case can fit longer video cards, taller heatsinks, and has a desktop footprint that is about half the size of the 300.

bing-o. Sort of like how the Raven and ATX Fortress cases are so pricey - there is nothing like them, and no-one has bothered trying to imitate.

But $169 for a case, don't see why it costs so much

product placement, design (one would think R&D is free, but engineers' time is money - it's not simply slap metal together), and the fact that is uses more metal than most ATX towers (helps dampen noise) in a footprint smaller than some mITX cases, is what seals the deal. This is an unique design that had to consider a lot of things, including HDD cooling on the backside of the case, PSU location and depth, etc. Yeah, I could of paid 30usd for a CM e341, and used more space on my desk in my already small room, and has a lessor airflow layout, and no PSU cable management (not to mention having cheap flexing panels and POS fans - the silverstone comes with three quality 120mm fans, too).

To some people, it doesn't make sense, I mean, the Corsair 800D is almost 300usd, yet a 20usd ATX tower "could do the same thing." Just like one can run a PC with no case, right on top of its mobo box ("it's free"), and put a piece of paper taped over it to keep it safe....

I bought my Antec 300 for $30 on sale and it is sitting below my table right now and it is big and clunky, although it performs well (cooling, install, etc...). However, it is a big pain to carry it around since it is so heavy. The case itself is 16lbs. My components weigh around 18 lbs, so you are looking at roughly 34lbs to carry around.

Does this FT03 weigh any less than 16lbs? I like this case over a mITX case because it can fit a mATX board and I tend to put a lot of component in my motherboard (network card, sound card, TV card)

I don't think the ft03 is light enough to carry around as a lann machine. My build abit over 16lbs with the side panels off, one gpu missing, and a small psu installed, since my main is still shipping.

Will post. Moee jnfo. Later. Typing. Omnunrooted andriid browser from os 2.1

I wouldn't use the FT03 to carry around, side panels come off way to easily, you need to pick it up by the front the back, which can make it cumbersome.

sleek and small would be the SG06 :p

But the FT03 is a wee bit too large for that :( I do like it's front cover's almost spartan appearance, and it doesn't help it's "wastebasket" appearance, however, I do like how The Twins no longer stiffle each other with their sheer heat :D

Some were curious. Maybe just me :p

I blame the vertical nature of this case for the images!! Not my laziness!!:D

Just finished mine up this week. 2 120mm radiators powered by the pump / block from the H70

DSC_6086.jpg

Can Noctua NH-U12P processor cooler be used in this case? Anyone has experience using this cooler for FT-03 with Intel 2600K and ASUS P8P67-M-PRO?

I only have the Hyper 212+, the only issue I have with the H 212+ (and due to size specs being similar between the two), is the second fan will interefere with the CPU area intake fan, so you can only use one fan at a time :(

Anyhow.... in other news, I have an incomming HCP1200 to allow me to, uh.... obviously keep my current cards happy and definately not to upgrade to better GPU down the line :p

I noticed that too, having dual cards in my FT03. Best to stick with how the case was designed in terms of airflow, i.e. in from the bottom and out from the top (sans PSU...which I don't get seeing as the PSU exhaust is sucked in by the bottom 80mms/120s depending on config?
)

Back