Silicon Power S60 120GB SSD - $27.99AC

I did some research and honestly, nothing looks good about these. Sounds like they were part of the whole swapping scandal as well. The only thing I'd use this for was a quick test SSD, or MAYBE temporary external USB3.0 SSD drive. But since I don't need either... I'm passing on this and hoping for another Crucial Refurb sale.

I did some research and honestly, nothing looks good about these. Sounds like they were part of the whole swapping scandal as well. The only thing I'd use this for was a quick test SSD, or MAYBE temporary external USB3.0 SSD drive. But since I don't need either... I'm passing on this and hoping for another Crucial Refurb sale.

I'd take switched controller(the flash remains the same) over refurb'd. Besides the packaging actually looks different between the old and the new ver. I highly doubt refurb means they resolder the mem chips, but if gambling with your data is worth that 100 when the new price will be dropped to the refurb price in a yr...

is jet.com reliable? I've never heard of them.

I have a 120GB with the Sandforce controller doing caching for a 2TB spinner using bcache in Linux & it's been OK. I purchased a 240G for $70'ish last week for my parents -- not installed yet.

is jet.com reliable? I've never heard of them.

I have a 120GB with the Sandforce controller doing caching for a 2TB spinner using bcache in Linux & it's been OK. I purchased a 240G for $70'ish last week for my parents -- not installed yet.

According to several news broadcasts a couple months ago, they are supposed to be the next Amazon :rolleyes:

I'd take switched controller(the flash remains the same) over refurb'd. Besides the packaging actually looks different between the old and the new ver. I highly doubt refurb means they resolder the mem chips, but if gambling with your data is worth that 100 when the new price will be dropped to the refurb price in a yr...

No drive is 100% reliable, regardless of it being new or refurbished. You're gambling either way. That's why people have backups strategies.

Ive used a few of these drives - both the sandforce based one and also a few when they switched to Phison S8 controller.

Never had any problems with them so far. Very competitive read speeds but the writes are a bit slow.

Back