Sidewinder 800D Custom Case?

Yea all you need is a drill bit for the Fillport hole, the actual fillport, reservoir, pump, tubing, rad, and fan controller. That's probably only about 130-150 bucks + plus the case.

Really? But the waterblock is about $75, radiator is over $100. That's $175 right there without anything else.

As much as I love Sidewinder, that thing is insanely priced in a very FrozenCPU-esque fashion.

Seriously, you aren't going to spend more than $350 total if you buy good quality, medium performance water cooling components, including two waterblocks. And the case costs less than $200 street price. So this package makes absolutely no sense, "custom" or not.

Yea all you need is a drill bit for the Fillport hole, the actual fillport, reservoir, pump, tubing, rad, and fan controller. That's probably only about 130-150 bucks + plus the case.

I just priced the parts Sidewinder claims are in this setup and it came out to 407.5 +tax.

Please tell us where to get parts at the prices you're telling us. I'll run out and get them tomorrow morning.:confused:

$42.95 - DD-RAD-Reservoir I would use this because it's easily mounted on different locations, or in the same place as the Sidewinder's location
$65.99 - Swiftech MCP355 Pump
$49.95 - Swiftech MCR-320 Radiator
$11.95 - Fillport
$15.80 - 1/2 ID 3/4 OD Tubing ~ 20 Feet. You do not need 20 feet, if you can get the sizing right the first time.
$18.99 - Black Scythe Fan Controller (4)
$46.99 - Enzotech Sapphire Rev. A CPU waterblock
$20.97 - 120x38mm Fans - 3 of them. These will give good static pressure for your radiator. 120x25mm will also work, and are cheaper.

Total WITHOUT the case = $273.59

~~~~~~

$269.99 - 800D case. If it was me, I would get it through Amazon, because I have a Prime membership, and 2 day shipping is free with Prime items.

Total with Case = $543.58

Shipping isn't included in the price, so you'll have to equate for that. Still better than buying it from sidewinder. As reference, shipping for the sidewinder to me is $24.89.

Prices might vary if you shop around a little more. Also it can be less if you buy used. Hopefully that's everything on the sidewinder case (as far as I can tell). And yes, I was off on my original guesstimate. :p

Good Luck!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You're missing a lot with that list, and you have some cheaper parts. Not saying the sidewinder setup is a bargin, but it has everything, including all the fittings and some sleaving and it's all pre-installed, bled and leak tested. Whether or not the parts plus the labor are worth the price is up to you, but Gary will certainly take care of you if you run into any issues.

You're missing a lot with that list, and you have some cheaper parts. Not saying the sidewinder setup is a bargin, but it has everything, including all the fittings and some sleaving and it's all pre-installed, bled and leak tested. Whether or not the parts plus the labor are worth the price is up to you, but Gary will certainly take care of you if you run into any issues.

No parts are missing (maybe the distilled water), that's all you need for a water cooling system. There's nothing to sleeve besides the fans anyways.

Those are only 37CFM fans, and do not have the static pressure of 38mm fans. The 37CFM fans are going to suck so much with the radiator in the Sidewinder. Also, the Enzotech cpu block is within a few degrees Celsius of the Supreme, for 50 less.

Last edited:
$42.95 - DD-RAD-Reservoir I would use this because it's easily mounted on different locations, or in the same place as the Sidewinder's location
$65.99 - Swiftech MCP355 Pump
$49.95 - Swiftech MCR-320 Radiator
$11.95 - Fillport
$15.80 - 1/2 ID 3/4 OD Tubing ~ 20 Feet.
$18.99 - Black Scythe Fan Controller (4)
$46.99 - Enzotech Sapphire Rev. A CPU waterblock
$20.97 - 120x38mm Fans - 3 of them. These will give good static pressure for your radiator. 120x25mm will also work, and are cheaper.

Total WITHOUT the case = $273.59

~~~~~~

$269.99 - 800D case. If it was me, I would get it through Amazon, because I have a Prime membership, and 2 day shipping is free with Prime items.

Total with Case = $543.58

Shipping isn't included in the price, so you'll have to equate for that. Still better than buying it from sidewinder. As reference, shipping for the sidewinder to me is $24.89.

Prices might vary if you shop around a little more. Also it can be less if you buy used. Hopefully that's everything on the sidewinder case (as far as I can tell). And yes, I was off on my original guesstimate. :p

Good Luck!

What happened to the $125 - $150 parts?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What happened to the $125 - $150 parts?

That was my mistake, haha. Prices rose on some things compared to when I bought them. I got my Sapphire CPU block for 32 bucks, originally. :eek:

Also you don't really even need a reservoir with a Fillport, you can just utilize a "T" (this is what I did), and skip on it.

even with better parts you're not going to reach what that "custom" case costs. if you add a drain port and compression fitting they want to charge $80 extra :eek:

it's cool that they give you some nicer fan options seemingly free of charge, but +$30 for a drain port makes my eyes bug out, haha.

I still say do it yourself cheaper and be proud of what you've done, lol.

It made me want to never do it again after the first time, but it I ended up doing it about 3-4 more times, and I'm about to do it again.

Good temps and morale boost! Way to go! :D

It made me want to never do it again after the first time, but it I ended up doing it about 3-4 more times, and I'm about to do it again.

Hahaha the honesty is appreciated!
...and that's really what I'm concerned about.

Is it too much of a rip-off though, you guys figure?

it's kind of like a pre-built pc. it's not really that terrible if you have no time or patients for it, but what are you really looking for out of it? a lot of ppl get into custom water loops to take their pc hobby even further, is it really necessary to get this level of cooling if you don't have the time to put it together yourself? (that's considering the time it can take to get a high OC stable where this level of cooling shows it's worth)

No, it has long term value because you can use it from computer to computer. You may have to replace a few parts, or buy an adapter for the CPU block every once awhile, but that's about it. I'm a temp whore, so that's a main reason why I did it. Every watercooling project I've worked on required some modding. So that was fun and I got to use my imagination a little bit. :cool: Currently trying to put together a way to fit all the parts internally in my Raven case, it's been a nuisance. Not much room in there honestly.

It is what you make of it!

Well, to be blatantly honest, it's always something I wanted to have (WC cooling that is). I was piecing together my list when I came across that sidewinder item. It had the radiator I wanted, the fans I wanted, and it looked nicely constructed. Albeit, for the CPU block I'm looking for a heatkiller to go with an i7.

So I guess it's the end result I'm interested in (low low temps, with better OC headroom) more than the process of constructing it... but then again, it does look pretty fun to do!

I find it a fun process personally. the other thing about custom loops are that eventually you will need to replace some things and having put it together yourself will make that process easier.

no matter what tubing is used, eventually it will cloud up and need to be replaced. no matter what pump is used, eventually it'll fail and need to be replaced (I'm actually kind of surprised they went with the mcp655, it has way more power than necessary for the number of components used in their loop). the radiator and waterblock could last indefinitely if taken care of, but from what I've researched most reservoirs + pump combos don't last very long unless they're using molded construction (they pretty much get shaken apart).

I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with what they've put together, just letting you know that you are going to need to maintain it.

normal maintenance will be something like flush the system may be at least twice a year, but having a drain port makes this really easy (I'm surprised they want you to pay extra to have one installed). with the tubing they've used you'll probably need to replace it only yearly or so (some tygon will last a very long time w/o clouding up). the pump should last may be several years or so baring any catastrophic failure, lol.

While this price does seem high, I really like to see more and more of this sort of thing being done. Obviously if you do it yourself it will cost less, how the hell would they make any money otherwise?

I never realized the parts needed to be changed so often, or that it needed to be flushed twice a year.

This may be OT, but what does flushing the loop involve? ...and how does a fillport make this easier? (I checked the stickied FAQ, couldn't find an answer, sorry)

The fillport unscrews on the top so you can fill it up easier. Flushing twice a year isn't exactly necessary. You can get away with just once a year. Twice a year helps keeps things clean and with distilled water there's a greater chance of algae.

Fillport strikes me as unnecessary. When would you ever just dump water in your loop without also opening up your case to make sure you need to add water and do so in the proper amount? I guess if the case has a side window it makes more sense, but still, how hard is it to just open up your case and add water to a plugged tube that runs to your res?

you gotta add in labor and a profit margin, makes sense that they'd make it 800 USD

Back