Shuttle XPC SX79R5 & SZ77R5

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Shuttle has listed their next line of SFF cubes. The SX79R5 and the SZ77R5. The SX79R5 is their mATX version and the SZ77R5 is their mITX version of the new chipset. Both units are housed in the same exact sized box. I never thought much of Shuttle PCs but it has a reputation of building solid SFF units.

SX79R5
http://data.shuttle.eu/CeBIT/en_sx79r5.html

SZ77R5
http://data.shuttle.eu/CeBIT/en_sz77r5.html

What has me eying them now is that my wife's PC died and will need to be replaced. I've given her my SG03 Lanbox and I will build me something new. My need is something size specific. It need it to be able to fit inside a standard school type locker. I like the SG07/08 but they are just a half inch too long. The SG05 would do but its size only allows for smaller GPU cards which is something that turns me off. The SG03 fitted fine and I could build another but newer components make it run hot and I'd like to try something different. I haven't built a itx SFF box yet and am thinking of trying one once the new mobos come out.

Uunut's SZ68R5 thread caught my eye and got me to thinking and looking around the net and I came across Shuttle's new units. Either would fit perfectly inside the locker in question. The nice thing is that I can either go mATX or mITX in choice. I'm wondering if the itx version would have better cooling since in theory it's mobo would be smaller. I'm thinking smaller mobo might make for more open space to let air move. What do you guys think? I probably wouldn't do much overclocking so the stock ICE cooling system would probably be adequate. The 500w psu would work for me as well. I don't want to turn this into a hate or like shuttle system debate. Just a discussion between the two models in question.

Unless their pictures are wrong, they are both Shuttle's two expansion slot form factor, not matx and mitx. The difference will come down to the difference in the quality of the board and chipset used. They are also entirely different sockets.

The SX79R5 is their mATX version and the SZ77R5 is their mITX version of the new chipset.

Mmm, actually that's not right at all. Not sure where you got that impression. Both systems use Shuttle's proprietary motherboard form factor, as it says right on the specs page you linked to:

Mainboard FX79, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SX79R5
Shuttle FZ77, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for XPC SZ77R5

The difference between the two is the chipset used (X79 and Z77), and some of the features (e.g., dual PCIe x16 3.0 vs. one PCIe x16 + one PCIe x4 2.0).

In fact, those Shuttle systems are not physically large enough to hold a MATX motherboard (216mm wide vs. 244mm).

How big of a card do you need to fit? I believe cards in the 9.5-10" range should fit without a problem in the SG05; with some modification to the chassis, 10.5" cards fit. It's worth noting the reference GTX 680 is 10" long, plus rear exhaust and pretty quiet. Seems like a perfect choice for the SG05 if you were in the market for a new high end card.

Shuttle has their own size motherboard, what is way longer and a bit wider than the mITX standard size (and smaller then the mATX size).
New Shuttle cases (J series and the R5 series) has mITX compatibility, only problem can be the lenght of the power button (etc) cable what is not enough for some mITX motherboards, like the Asrock ones, where system panel is usually on the back of the board for some stupid reasons... Other "problem" is, you have to find different cpu cooler, because Shuttle one (if provided) is not fit for mITX (CPU is in different place)
R5 cases is the biggest Shuttle ever (If I know well) Almost every 2slot(!) VGA is fit for them. (I'm not sure about 6990 or 5990 and later maybe 7990).

Okay, after looking some more I see I screwed up on some info. The SZ77R5 is Shuttle's design. The case however will support mITX mobos. When I saw that info I just concluded that this was their itx model. I even saw a youtube video of one being shown at Cebit and the placard next to the case said mitx. The guy talking didn't speak English so I couldn't understand what he was saying. That also made me think it was Shuttle's mitx model.

As for the SX79R5 someone made a post (not here) about them also making a matx version that used the same chasis and box and I just assumed (very bad of me) that it was the SX79R5 they spoke of. The SX79R5 is another of Shuttle's design that is LGA 2011. Linus Tech Tips even unboxed one recently on youtube I discovered.

So I was wrong in my info. I do apologize to my fellow HF members.

<hangs head in embarrassment and shame> :(

I need to hurry up and win the lottery so I can take the mobo out of the SX79R5 and rig up a custom shuttle sized case with a 200mm rad up front cooling the processor and sli 680s.

I have my eye on the SZ77R5 model. It is the one I'd be most interested in.

Back