Shuttle’s Solid Rocket Booster Separation Video

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Check out this video captured from the Shuttle Atlantis’ Solid Rocket Booster. It’s recorded from just before separation to ocean touchdown and has audio. Beware if you easily get motion sickness; the booster turns end over end and you can see it clearly.

Motion Sickness? not really.. but WAY WAY cool.

I didn't know a free fall from 150,000 feet was only 3 minutes. Man, I wanna go jump out of a plane .. too bad it's WAY windy today, can't go.

neat. haven't seen one with audio. i figured it would be silent once it was out of the atmosphere.

I'd actually made the descision a while ago that If I was ever diagnosed with a terminally ill disease I would like to euthanize myself by jumping out at a high altitude like Joseph Kittinger but without a parachute.

I wonder how much it would cost.

I wonder if I would still have the fear of death.

I too was amazed that there was still enough air pressure to carry sound at that altitude..

Oh, and right at 5:37 is where NASA edited out the alien spaceship flyby..

Riley

I too was amazed that there was still enough air pressure to carry sound at that altitude..

Oh, and right at 5:37 is where NASA edited out the alien spaceship flyby..

Riley

No way man.. That was a clear view of Elvis on a boat at sea. He's a better kept secret than UFOs.

Imagine how much better the moon landing would have been if they had the CGI effects available today.

Even in a vacuum you would hear some things since the mic is mounted to the booster and sound can use the booster itself as a transmission medium. So any sound made by the booster or something hitting it could be heard. It does get quieter after booster cutoff and separation and the atmospheric noise picks up again as the booster moves lower back into the atmosphere.

Impressive how perfectly synchronised the two boosters separated and spun the first minutes of the video!

Great video. First part was a bit boring but once it separated it was like nothing else.

Back