Shun 7in Asian Chef knife w/ free board $99 + f/s

yes, it's metal. ceramic is way too delicate to deal with and unforgiving - one chip and the blade is trash or just really annoying to cut with as you then have to avoid that chipped part

Shun knives are pretty high quality and made with VG-10 steel, though I don't know if this is really that much of a hot deal, maybe warm

They are great knives, but I don't think this is a good price. They generally run close to $100 each, and a bamboo cutting board doesn't really sweeten the deal that much. Not trying to thread crap, as I have some of these knives, but this is warm at best.

This price is about average. I've collected a few of these Japanese knives. They are extremely sharp number 1. I'm not talking Chinese sharp, I'm talking .. "holy shit I just cut the hell out of my finger and I wasn't even anywhere near the blade sharp"

I would watch eBay. You can get these for normally $65 - $75 shipped.

7" is also a good size. When it comes to knives, stop thinking Hollywood. Bigger isn't better in the kitchen.

You want to pay close attention to the pattern on the blade. This is what distinguishes the blade as being hand-hammered and folded from Japan vs. stamped / drop forged blades from China.

While I agree that this isn't a blistering hot deal, $99 for a good sized quality knife, a cutting board, free shipping and no tax (at least for me) seemed to be a pretty sweet deal for me. At the time I could not find anything regarding this knife as it was listed as "Asian Chef's knife" I was able to find the knife on Shun's website listed as "Asian Cook's Knife" Once I found the correct name I was able to pull up the ebay listing. :(

I loved my Global chef's knife and thought it had the sharpest edge of any knife until I received my Shun Santoku. I cut myself with the Shun and did not even realized it until I looked at my hand and was covered in blood. Meat and veggies look at the Shun and instantly separates itself lol.

Alton Brown says this thing is scary sharp out of the box and he wasn't kidding

Yes, this are very very sharp. I was able to drop a wooden match across the blade and while it did not cut it in half, it stuck to the blade. This was from about 2 or 3 feet. Pretty cool to watch actually.

Shun knives are very good.

Here's a great site to order a lot of different good brands of knives from: http://www.chefknivestogo.com - also check Macy's clearance. I have a really nice set of Henckel knives from Macy's, normally around $500, got for around $200 on clearance. I think the next time I buy knives - if any time soon - I will probably buy from Henckel's Japanese line called Miyabi.

Shun Knives are craaaaazy sharp. Puts any of my other knives in the house to shame.

Shun is owned by KAI USA, who also produce/own Kershaw and Zero Tolerance knives, also quality pieces (at least the ones that haven't been switched to chinese production).

Good knives. I have one and it is sharper than any other knife in my kitchen but I always find myself using my wakizashi for my light cutting needs :p

Decent price for a quality knife, but turns out to be a hot deal if you can take care of them. I've spent ~$1000 on MAC and Messermeister knives and they are still a pleasure to work with after tons of abuse.

Global knives are excellent as well, really comfortable imo. Although the most comfortable knife I ever used was my co-worker's Shun Ken Onion

I have both the Global and Shun and I like them both equally but for different tasks. The handles on the Globals are bit narrower and find that it fits my hands perfectly while manuevering the knife. I have smaller hands hence why I don't own a 10in chef knife because the 8in is perfectly balanced in my hands. Globals tend to run about $20-30 cheaper than the Shuns of the same type. I couldn't decide when I was looking so I chose the Globals purely on price and have been extremely happy. I got the Shuns for Christmas and been extremely pleased. The Shun was definitely sharper out of the box.

I like the German blade, plastic handle knives from Smart and Final. Very sharp and very cheap (Like under $20 each). Good enough for me, I'm not rich :p

"Chefs Review" brand.

Not sure what everyone is trying to cut through but I'f I can't cut through it with one of these it's probably better off cutting it with a Reciprocating saw or something.

Last edited:
Back