Shouldn't there have at least been some hard news on the new Macbook pro's by now?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm a little surprised that now that the Ivy Bridge CPU's are actually out that there hasn't at least been some more official press on the new Macbook Pro's? I was kind of looking forward to picking one up for work and I could really use one soon.

Apple is notoriously tight lipped about product launches. Sometimes they even do a silent release where new Mac's are available with no press release (this happened with the MBP minor bump in 2011.)

Ivy Bridge will probably be a larger announcement, but they will only announce it when they are ready.

Yeah....this is no minor bump... I doubt they'll do a quiet launch. But yeah, I was assuming we'd at least get news of sorts about them by the end of April...

It's not just Pros. There's a good chance that Airs will be updated too, and possibly even Minis. This is going to be a decent-sized launch, but I wouldn't expect this year's "big one" until after Mountain Lion comes out Q3/Q4. After that we should be getting screen resolution increases, but I wouldn't expect much on that front for this launch.

It's not just Pros. There's a good chance that Airs will be updated too, and possibly even Minis. This is going to be a decent-sized launch, but I wouldn't expect this year's "big one" until after Mountain Lion comes out Q3/Q4. After that we should be getting screen resolution increases, but I wouldn't expect much on that front for this launch.

Considering a major redesign does seem to be in store, with the Macbook pro's taking on features similar to the Air.... I would say this is a pretty big product launch...

Considering a major redesign does seem to be in store, with the Macbook pro's taking on features similar to the Air.... I would say this is a pretty big product launch...

I guess it depends. Unless Apple does something absolutely insane with the chassis, I think the jump to HiDPI resolutions post-Mountain Lion will be way more revolutionary than anything they can do with a block of Aluminum. There's big things happening this year for sure, but (IMO) the best is still a ways off.

If the new Pros are redesigned to be like the Air line, then we'll have to wait for the WWDC keynote for a release. If the new Pros are just a spec bump, they can drop randomly.

I would say we'll have to wait for WWDC.

If the new Pros are redesigned to be like the Air line, then we'll have to wait for the WWDC keynote for a release. If the new Pros are just a spec bump, they can drop randomly.

I would say we'll have to wait for WWDC.

I dont like the sound of that considering I felt that would at least be announced by now, when is that?

I dont like the sound of that considering I felt that would at least be announced by now, when is that?

June 11-15. If they wait until then to announce, it will (probably) be something big.

June 11-15. If they wait until then to announce, it will (probably) be something big.

But aren't people assuming it isn't going to be something big due to this OS update later in the year? Although I personally disagree....

But well, anyway, thus far it appears as if they are waiting on that though.

But aren't people assuming it isn't going to be something big due to this OS update later in the year? Although I personally disagree....

But well, anyway, thus far it appears as if they are waiting on that though.

Apple does the same cycles every year. That's why none of use have a problem waiting or listing WWDC as the likely event that a new release will be announced. (Also, Mac Rumor's Buyer's Guide makes it dead simple.)

As for Mountain Lion, Apple is moving to a yearly OS update release schedule, so expect that every year (it used to be every other year.) That's for a number of reasons. They want to make sure people understand that OSX is still important to them (amidst their insane amount of iOS devices sold comparatively) especially for developers of the platform, and professionals who prefer OSX over the Windows and Linux environment. And to one-up Microsoft, who has also announced increased speed in OS releases, after Vista took too long. Hence 7 and now 8.

Apple does the same cycles every year. That's why none of use have a problem waiting or listing WWDC as the likely event that a new release will be announced. (Also, Mac Rumor's Buyer's Guide makes it dead simple.)

As for Mountain Lion, Apple is moving to a yearly OS update release schedule, so expect that every year (it used to be every other year.) That's for a number of reasons. They want to make sure people understand that OSX is still important to them (amidst their insane amount of iOS devices sold comparatively) especially for developers of the platform, and professionals who prefer OSX over the Windows and Linux environment. And to one-up Microsoft, who has also announced increased speed in OS releases, after Vista took too long. Hence 7 and now 8.

What? did macrumors buyers guide also say WWDC? Because the implication on there was that something would be announced this month I thought.

What? did macrumors buyers guide also say WWDC? Because the implication on there was that something would be announced this month I thought.

Look at the average for turnover on the MBP on the Mac Rumors link I posted. Then check when WWDC is (June 11, 2012.) Why would they release something in May? Apple loves a show, and a presentation.

Just because you expect something to happen doesn't mean it will. Apple has an event coming up in a month. It's more reasonable to expect something then than it is to expect something now.

I'd also like the new products to be unveiled, just because I'm trying to decide between upgrading my Mac or my gaming PC.

I just sold both my desktop and laptop, going to put it towards the refresh. Hope it's something good, so I might just drop it on last year's MBP 15.

Yeah, I really can't see them doing anything now til WWDC, since it is so close. Patiently waiting... :(

Couldn't it also be about Mountain Lion?

Sure, OSX Mountain Lion will be talked about, but all the Mac heads know about its features because of developer previews and websites discussing the developer previews.

The hardware will be the big thing. It only makes sense to launch it all together. In fact, it might be fair to say that we haven't seen a hardware update because they want to release the systems and OSX together.

Sure, OSX Mountain Lion will be talked about, but all the Mac heads know about its features because of developer previews and websites discussing the developer previews.

The hardware will be the big thing. It only makes sense to launch it all together. In fact, it might be fair to say that we haven't seen a hardware update because they want to release the systems and OSX together.

While they probably do want to launch Mountain Lion with new hardware, at the same time I don't think they want to wait until late summer to do so.

Then again, since the iPhone and iPad are now the cash cows of the business, they can just preview Mountain Lion again at WWDC, launch a new iPhone, and be fine until August/September.

While they probably do want to launch Mountain Lion with new hardware, at the same time I don't think they want to wait until late summer to do so.

Then again, since the iPhone and iPad are now the cash cows of the business, they can just preview Mountain Lion again at WWDC, launch a new iPhone, and be fine until August/September.

I'm kind of confused by your post. WWDC is June 12th. If they release new hardware and Mountain Lion on June 12th, that would be right in line with their regular hardware updates. If they wait longer than WWDC then they would be lagging.

To reiterate, I seriously doubt that they are going to release anything in May with WWDC so close. There is absolutely no reason to. However waiting until after that would be uncharacteristic.

I'm kind of confused by your post. WWDC is June 12th. If they release new hardware and Mountain Lion on June 12th, that would be right in line with their regular hardware updates. If they wait longer than WWDC then they would be lagging.

To reiterate, I seriously doubt that they are going to release anything in May with WWDC so close. There is absolutely no reason to. However waiting until after that would be uncharacteristic.

I don't see what's confusing about my post. I made three separate points.

1. WWDC is a good time to release new hardware.
2. But Apple may not care and wait until after WWDC, because they may prefer to launch new hardware with Mountain Lion, which doesn't come out until late summer.
3. Because Macs are no longer the primary source of Apple's revenue, they may feel no pressure to release at WWDC and may in fact wait until Mountain Lion is ready, as they did with Lion.

There is nothing confusing here.

I don't see what's confusing about my post. I made three separate points.

1. WWDC is a good time to release new hardware.
2. But Apple may not care and wait until after WWDC, because they may prefer to launch new hardware with Mountain Lion, which doesn't come out until late summer.
3. Because Macs are no longer the primary source of Apple's revenue, they may feel no pressure to release at WWDC and may in fact wait until Mountain Lion is ready, as they did with Lion.

There is nothing confusing here.

This post isn't confusing. What confused me about your last post was this:

Just awkward phrasing.

This post isn't confusing. What confused me about your last post was this:

Just awkward phrasing.

I wouldn't say it's awkward at all. They'd prefer not to wait until late summer to launch new hardware but are prepared to do so due to Mountain Lion-related necessities.

Not official, but there seems to have been a rumor explosion at the beginning of the week... much of it seems to be pretty well backed up as well.

Enjoy :D

o_O the new MBP wont have an optical drive??

...actually outside of initial setup I'm trying to remember the last time I used an optical disk in any of my devices... though that does make reformats more difficult...

o_O the new MBP wont have an optical drive??

...actually outside of initial setup I'm trying to remember the last time I used an optical disk in any of my devices... though that does make reformats more difficult...

How so? The Lion Recovery Partition handles all that stuff for you. Optical drives are dead, at least on Mac OS.

Yeah, I haven't used an optical drive in forever. Currently on an m11x. Keep an external drive in my laptop bag. Never been a problem.

How so? The Lion Recovery Partition handles all that stuff for you. Optical drives are dead, at least on Mac OS.

I see LOTS of MB/MBP on eBay without HDDs, which means you'll need to have some way to add the OS once you install a new HDD.

Otherwise... yeah, even on my PCs I dont use CD/DVDs 99% of the time...

Rumors of retina display is going wild. I really hope it's true. Not only will it make it the best Macbook to date, but also the best Windows laptop as well.

Use this utility on another Mac to make a bootable USB, and you're all set:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

awesome :) Honestly if making bootable flash drives were a little easier I dont think I'd ever use a CD again ouside of my 360...

Rumors of retina display is going wild. I really hope it's true. Not only will it make it the best Macbook to date, but also the best Windows laptop as well.

I was planning on getting a used MBP, but if this turns out to be true I might just have to finance a new one, there's no beating a Retina display

If the chassis is smaller due to the removal of the optical drives, then does that mean the new MBPs cannot hold two SATA drives?

If this were the case, then it might be a challenge for those who need the extra SATA drive for storage or a RAID set up.

Lion recovery is on a small partition on the harddrive. No harddrive, no Lion recovery.

Bzzzzt.

Lion Internet Recovery

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without Mac OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD (Command-R method above) doesn't work. Lion Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

Lion Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, enter the WPA passphrase. Next, Lion Internet Recovery will download and start from a Recovery HD image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and functions described above.

As with the Recovery HD, reinstallation of OS X Lion from Lion Internet Recovery requires an Internet connection. See "Supported network configurations and protocols" below.

I wouldn't say it's awkward at all. They'd prefer not to wait until late summer to launch new hardware but are prepared to do so due to Mountain Lion-related necessities.

I understood it just fine. Honestly, I'm not sure how it could be better-phrased.

Back