should I upgrade to 560 ti?

CorNut

Limp Gawd
at 3pm pst/6pm est , newegg's ShellShocker is a 560 ti (384 not 448) for $160 however I was emailed a coupon the other day for 15% off refurbished video cards (coupon code BTENHND39, but only certain accts will be able to use it I believe) which will bring the price to 136/ea which comes to $272 total for an SLI setup. In all honesty I may not even notice much of a difference? Right now I am running 2xEVGA gtx 460 SE's (1gb but they are the low end of 460's) in SLI, I only play BF3. With my setup now I already run most stuff on Ultra as it is, do you think I'll see much of an improvement with 560ti's to justify dropping nearly $275? My PS can handle the extra 30w or whatever it is, I have a Seasonic x750 and all I have is my blu-ray drive, 2 HD's (vertex 3 ssd and 2tb WD green). I built this PC a while back (fx-8150/990fx) and didn't see a reason to upgrade video cards since my 460's still handeled everything i threw at em. BF3 does have a few things I have turned down like aa/af, but I still play at 1920x1200 at mostly Ultra and it's still smooth. should I just wait for the next generation of cards? I'm not limited to SLI, I can also run crossfire on the 990fx. I haven't really been in the market for video cards so not really sure if this upgrade would be $272 worth of an upgrade. This is the card that I'll be able to get for $136/ea after 3pm PST with coupon

PNY 560 Ti

What do you think? should I just wait for the next generation or is it worth the plunge? Would I see a significant difference?

Personally, I am going to wait until Kepler come out in a couple months and see what deals happen then.

Personally I would wait. If you can do everything you want now, why upgrade? If you wait, you should find even better deals on better cards when you finally do need to upgrade.

So how about if I'm running a single GTX 260? This seems like a great deal for a budget conscious gamer.

k, thanks guys(and/or gal(s)). My 460 se sli setup does work, it can't max aa/af on bf3 like it always could before with previous games but it does still look good. I wasn't planning on upgrading, the only reason I thought about it was because I opened my newegg shell shocker preview email today and seen that card and remembered the 15% off coupon a couple days prior, did some math and it made me debate an upgrade in my head since that is really cheap, a 560 ti for $136, even though I don't "need" it I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too good of deal to pass up. I'll keep rockin my 460's, these things are troopers. I'm still sporting an xfi fatal1ty fps soundcard with the front plate I bought.. many many years ago, so long ago it is PCI, pci-e wasn't even an option back then.

I picked one up. I needed a video card, and $136 seemed like a pretty good deal for 1920x1080 gaming.

Stop contemplating and just get it. Since you're playing BF3 then you'll be glad you did. I just bought myself a GTX 570 coming from an AMD 5850 and its running alot smoother!

I did the exact same thing. I was waiting for Kepler/Southern Islands, but $136 for a GTX 560 Ti is too good to ignore. Plus, this card comes with a one-year warranty despite being refurbished.

I'm coming from a 4850, so I'll finally be able to play all the new games I've had to skip.

hmm, seems like after I got home from work to check the thread everybody was against it, after I posted everybody is for it. It's a little too late to jump on it now as it's both sold out and back to full price. I think I probably did make the right call not getting it though, isn't like I'm running a single 460, my 460 SLI setup does run bf3 smooth @ 1920x1200 just with the lack of aa/af maxed out. Even though I didn't jump I'm glad some of you did if I brought it to your attention because I knew it was a damn good deal @ $136 which was why I contemplated it. It probably is best for me to wait though since I don't "need" em, I do plan on upgrading soon but waiting for the new series will be a better long term investment since I have cards to hold me over comfortably.

I don't think they had many as that particular Shell Shocker sold out in 15 minutes.

I don't think they had many as that particular Shell Shocker sold out in 15 minutes.

I got one, but I logged in and got it right when it started. I figured for $136, it was a pretty good deal, and I can move my 6870 to my brother's computer.

I would probably go ahead and buy it. I have a 560 and it runs all my games smoothly, sometimes you might think newer is better but it is sometimes price over performance. So for price over performance wise, the 560 is a great deal. Take it. :) good luck.

Back