Should I upgrade my QX6850 to I7 920?

Seems like a very capable CPU. What is your current set up?

i am using the asus formula p35 chipset running on air at 3.5ghz temp are at 45-50C IDLE with a noctua 12p duo noctua fan as well.

I am using this mainly for gaming I have couple of warter cooling parts i wonder how high can this OC to?

If gaming is your top priority, then there's no need to upgrade at all. These almost 3 years old chips are capable of doing 3.5GHz+ with ease and that's completely enough for the most demanding games of today! You should better invest in a more powerful video card if necessary.

thanks IIl guess I wait a bit and for the video card is it better if I just add another 4870 to trifire or another 4870x2 for quad fire? and big change?

I am using this mainly for gaming I have couple of warter cooling parts i wonder how high can this OC to?

On OC'ing question: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502931

Do you have a specific game you need more performance on? From your configuration (4870x2 + >3GHz quad cpu) I don't really think you need to upgrade at this time. Games with few exceptions aren't fully pushing the envelop because the industry needs to sell stuff that you don't need a 4GHz hexacore i7 + GTX480 SLI for. Save the money and upgrade in 6-12 months. There are a batch of new games coming out that might raise the bar for PC configurations (e.g. Crysis 2).

Don't think tri or quad fire make sense since most multigpu set-ups don't scale well past dual configurations. Your better off spending the money for a 2nd card on a new 5850 or 5870.

What about the rams should I upgrade mobo and rams to DDR3? or should just stick with DDR2 ?my mobo is running on a P35 chipset not the p45 or x48

Back