Should I RMA MoBo immediately?

So I was told to lower voltage on a different Forum due to High Temperatures on my CPU. However my temperatures are still very high! Yes I am using a Stock Intel fan. I"ve never learned how to Overclock so I bought the 6700K for its raw power performance, and for future proof in case I learned how to Overclock and bought a stock Intel Fan "NEW" from eBay. However I highly doubt it that my temperatures should be running this Hot! This was just from 15 minutes of Real Bench Stress test. NOTE that I can't lower the voltage pass -0.120v and keep the system stable. Should I RMA my MoBo asap? I got an M9i Cryorig coming in the mail, won't do any OC but it should help I guess.

F8_BIOS_0_120_V_Stable_Pass.png

Last edited:
Did you apply thermal paste? Removed all cling-film? Have the fans plugged in right?

I don't think it's a mobo issue. Sounds like an operator issue with the heat sink installation.

Did you apply thermal paste? Removed all cling-film? Have the fans plugged in right?
Applied thermal paste=Yes! Removed all Cling Film= I Believe so yes! (I re-applied Arctic Cooler 5 two weeks ago and didn't notice any film) Fan Plugged in right?= Yes it seems to be plugged in fine.
634.jpg

I don't think it's a mobo issue. Sounds like an operator issue with the heat sink installation.
In what sense? Please explain I want to fix this issue with my temps.

EDIT the angle the Fan is placed doesn't affect its performance.

Awesome! I actually did what you said in a way because I completely removed the stock cooler and put it back in. This time I made sure the Clips on the back panel were pushed in all the way and also made sure the "Locks" were tight! after putting new Thermal compound on it. So I know that's not an issue. Since I do not plan on doing Overclocking any time soon and my wallet is on a budget I bought this instead just for the time being and due to its small form factor.
http://www.cryorig.com/m9_us.php

Its advertised to decrease Temps by 33% than compared to stock cooler. So will see what happens with that when it arrives.

Do you or anyone else think those temps were kinda high though from just 15 minute stress test?

Almost ANY cooler is better than a stock intel. A good stress test on a stock cooler will probably make them go that high I guess. I mean I would never try to stress a cpu like that with the crap cooler.

It should be fine once installed properly.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/18/reeven_justice_120mm_cpu_air_cooler_review/[/QUOTE]

Almost ANY cooler is better than a stock intel. A good stress test on a stock cooler will probably make them go that high I guess. I mean I would never try to stress a cpu like that with the crap cooler.

It should be fine once installed properly.

What do you mean "Once installed Properly" Is the one I have now not installed Properly? or did you mean when I get the Cryorig M9i? this is the First PC I built on my own I do appreciate the input and feedback.

its not installed properly because the Logo on the Cooler is sideways?

those temps look great for a stock cooler.
Seriously? oh man! I hope other can confirm this to add validation so I can feel safe. Sure I built it 1 year ago but I didn't notice temps until January this year.

The M9i Cryorig will be my first aftermarket cooler, it should be good for what I will use it since I won't do any Overclocking.

I am sure by the time I learn to Overclock I'll have more green paper in my wallet and will be able to afford something better and proper for Overcloking.

well consider that the 6700k has crummy temps because the IHS is too far from the actual die and the stock cooler is crap to begin with and you have 2 problems that intersect each other.

you could delid but i wouldn't suggest it if you haven''t done it or aren't careful and destroy your cpu.

You said you got the heatsink from eBay, Intel makes different coolers for different processors. The Celeron and pentium ones are solid aluminum, the core i series have a copper core iirc. That could be part of the problem, but sub 80c under load isn't all that bad for a stock cooler honestly.

You said you got the heatsink from eBay, Intel makes different coolers for different processors. The Celeron and pentium ones are solid aluminum, the core i series have a copper core iirc. That could be part of the problem, but sub 80c under load isn't all that bad for a stock cooler honestly.
I know I got copper for sure. I did it because I read they are better for hotter temps, but yea this was February 2016. At least it was brand new.

When you get the new one.

Perfect!

Thanks for the reassuring feedback guys. I will report back on the Forums once the new Cooler is installed and I run some Test with it.

In the meantime, do you guys think my readings looks alright? e.g. voltages, fan RPM?

I don't know why but on my 2 front fans one seems to spin harder than the other one when things get hot. Not sure if I didn't plugged it in wrong. In BIOS I just see the option to set it manual or full speed.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

So I was wondering. This is my first PC build on my own. I lost one of the MoBo standoffs but all the other once are in place. Its the one right by the CPU connector. Do you guys think I can damage something once I install the M9i by Cryorig? or shouldn't affect anything? I believe the M9i is 80 grams. Here is a picture. I appreciate the input.
634.jpg

You'll be fine, those heatsinks are not exactly super heavy. Just be careful when installing the new cooler. Also, those are good temps for a stock intel cooler on that CPU.... my i3 4170 in my living room computer has similar temps before I upgraded the cooler.

You'll be fine, those heatsinks are not exactly super heavy. Just be careful when installing the new cooler. Also, those are good temps for a stock intel cooler on that CPU.... my i3 4170 in my living room computer has similar temps before I upgraded the cooler.

When you say be careful when installing the cooler what exactly should I be careful about? I need to know because its the First Aftermarket Cooler I own/install.

When you say be careful when installing the cooler what exactly should I be careful about? I need to know because its the First Aftermarket Cooler I own/install.

Actually I was thinking if it was a push-pin design on the new cooler to not apply too much pressure on the board when pushing down since you're missing a stand-off in that area. But the new cooler is a screw on design so just install it as instructed.

You'll be fine and it'll be fairly easy. Just watch this video before doing it yourself:

Actually I was thinking if it was a push-pin design on the new cooler to not apply too much pressure on the board when pushing down since you're missing a stand-off in that area. But the new cooler is a screw on design so just install it as instructed.

You'll be fine and it'll be fairly easy. Just watch this video before doing it yourself:

For sure! thanks man. I've being prepping up watched almost every video on the Cyrorig M9i that I can find.

Once the cooler is installed, you don't foresee any issues with the weight of the Cooler and the missing standoff/screw do you?

Cheers!
Thanks.

What have I done? I removed RAM and put it back and checked connections 3 times still doing.

I just opened an RMA ticket with Gigabyte.

You are under 80C full load, the Intel coolers are only meant to keep the CPU in spec, which it is. So no problems, you are over thinking this, it will never hit those temps under normal use anyway.

Keep in mind those Intel coolers are not meant for the 6700k CPUs, the one you posted also looks like one of the thinner ones, copper core yes, but still thin. Check BIOS settings, most at stock with the Intel cooler are about quiet, not temps, so long as it is under max temp, set the CPU fan profile to the highest.

As for the boot looping, what all did you do? Does the mobo have post codes or LEDs for post codes? If so, what are they showing? Did you remove the CPU? Why do you think bent CPU? Video does not help, post close up photos of the mobo/cpu and empty CPU socket, along with everything installed as is, with close ups.

On phone right now. Will post pictures in a little bit. Also the problem from the video happened after isntalling the CPU cooler. I assume I put too much pressure tightening the screws? CPU dont look bent but something must be damaged because problem from video persisted even after loosening the screws slightly more.

Most coolers have springs on them, never used the cooler you have, but the ones with springs etc are more or less impossible to over tighten, from most of the pictures on the website for the cooler, it shows the two middle screws to have springs on them, meaning you will never put more pressure on the CPU than those springs will allow, unless you somehow compressed them all the way, which looks to be impossible as it would bottom out before then.

Thinking install issue with the CPU or RAM, unless you damaged something with install, did anything slip/fall while installing? Also include a photo of the back of the mobo with the black plate, make sure nothing is shorting out.

As it was working fine before, this is not the mobo fault, only reason it would be is if you damaged something on install.

only reason it would be is if you damaged something on install.

That is exactly the point I am making hehe. The issue didn't start until the Installation of the Cooler. So I must have damaged something while installing the Cooler. The only thing I can think its when I was screwing the Cooler down. And nope mine doesn't come with the screws. Here is a pic of it. I am just so worried its CPU I broke! it don't look bent per say but what else could be the cause of the Problem?

I have Old Galaxy s4 and it won't Focus anymore sorry for crappy pics. Also I don't have the Motherboard Installed anymore. I removed it from Case to RMA today.

EDIT: No error Debug Code and couldn't access BIOS due to automatic Reboot cycle. I couldn't read the Error Debug Code on MoBo because the Code kept changing every second before powering off and restarting.

IF CPU was damaged, would Intel cover me under any warranty? or am I SOL and have to dish out $350 out of pocket for a new CPU?

20170316_112406.jpg

20170315_171119.jpg

20170315_170859.jpg

20170315_171303.jpg

Last edited:
Second picture, is that thermal paste or a gouge on the mobo?

Have you tried installing everything again? Be sure RAM is fully seated, or boot with only one stick, trying each one on its own to see if it boots.

The socket and CPU look fine, bending the CPU from the HS would be very hard to do, the IHS takes most of the load and spreads it out, you would have to do some serious pressure to actually bend that.

Second picture, is that thermal paste or a gouge on the mobo?

Have you tried installing everything again? Be sure RAM is fully seated, or boot with only one stick, trying each one on its own to see if it boots.

The socket and CPU look fine, bending the CPU from the HS would be very hard to do, the IHS takes most of the load and spreads it out, you would have to do some serious pressure to actually bend that.

That seems to be a drop of Thermal paste that fell on the MoBo is that very bad?

I didn't exactly install everything again but I did remove RAM and installed it 3 times and tried one stick and nothing happened same problem from Video clip. I've never installed an aftermarket cooler before this was the first time but I know for a fact that I didn't squish the screws super tight on the Cooler to the CPU I didn't exert great amount of strength on the Screws when installing them.

Did you make sure the power connector for the CPU wasn't dislodged at all?

Little gob of paste won't hurt anything as long as it isn't in the socket heh.

Agree with previous post, try booting with 1 stick of ram, if no worky, try another stick, be sure you're using slot 1 (far right) for the tests, although I'm not super familiar with the chipset to say if it makes a difference on the ram slot is used.

also did you try clearing the cmos?

If it's just thermal paste no, but I would still clean it off before sending it in if you do.

Did you try using the old Intel HS? and as above, did you clear the cmos? You don't have to reinstall into the case to do this, just set it on the cardboard box the mobo came in or something and install everything on it and plug the PSU in. I would leave the GPU out, just mobo/CPU/RAM to see if it will boot.

First PC I Build on my own so I did reset RAM 3 times but in my panic since I couldn't even boot into bios I forgot that I had a clear CMOS button built into the MoBo. Dumb I know. After removing RAM and reseting RAM and checking every connection The error still persisted so in my panic I took everything off the MoBo and removed the MoBo it self due to the issue still persisting and opened an RMA ticket with Gigabyte. Going to RMA tomorrow. I am not as concerned with damaged MoBo because I can replace it with one from Newegg for $120 but if it was CPU i7 6700k I'd be in trouble because I couldn't afford that much at the moment.

If I damaged both CPU and MoBo I won't have another Computer for a while.

If it was damaged CPU due to pressure but it had no visible damage would there be any warranty under Intel?

Just my thoughts. I appreciate input.

The only thing stock coolers are good for are weights for fishing and crab traps.

You'd probably see a very noticeable drop with a half decent aftermarket cooler.

Wow with the pics I see he really is using the stock cooler.

Much better coolers are so cheap, there is 0 reason to run the crappy stock cooler. I also hate those push in things as well.
Even if I run a cpu stock(I know funny), I would at the minimum get a 212+.

Wow with the pics I see he really is using the stock cooler.

Much better coolers are so cheap, there is 0 reason to run the crappy stock cooler. I also hate those push in things as well.
Even if I run a cpu stock(I know funny), I would at the minimum get a 212+.

First time I build a PC on my own I've never overclocked and don't know how to overclock. I bought the 6700k for its raw power performance and to future proof my build. I never installed an aftermarket cooler before either. I saw how my friend installed the intel cooler on my build from 2012 when he was building it for me so I bought a stock a cooler for the 6700k since it seemed less complicated than aftermarket cooler.

Bad choice. Now I learned.

Now its possible that I ruined my PC because I installed an aftermarket cooler and probably squished the screws to tight.

Going to RMA board today. Just hope CPU is not the problem also.

Did you have any issues with the mounting plate for the new cooler that goes on the bottom of the mobo?

They usually only work right mounted in one direction even though it's possible to install in the wrong direction.
It could have been shorting out something on the bottom of the mobo near the CPU socket.

I didn't see an answer as to if it worked with the old Intel cooler installed again?

Sometimes this stuff is a very minor issue that can be corrected easily to avoid an RMA.

Sigh. I shipped the MoBo off today. Since I got frustrated that its never done anything like it did on the video I freaked out and removed MoBo after several attempts to make it work. I figured for the Computer to do this it must have serious damage. If it did this due to Software I wouldn't freak out but I know it was a pain in the neck having to install the Fan on the cooler and I might have screwed the screws on to tight so I got very scared that I damaged the Hardware.

Stupid thing to do but I was sincerely freaking out and frustrated. I mean I removed RAM tried 1 of 2 stick. Tried different stick on different slot. Checked all cable connections. I've never seeing a Computer do this before so I decided to Remove MoBo assuming it had being damaged. I figured if I damaged the MoBo or CPU installing the stock cooler might move it more around so I didn't do that unfortunately.

My question is if the CPU got damaged even though it doesn't show any sign of damage or warped would there be any Warranty under Intel that would provide a replacement? Just in case of worst case scenario?

I mean for the computer to do what it did on the Video after installing a cooler must be pretty serious no? Like something is very damaged.

>>I mean for the computer to do what it did on the Video after installing a cooler must be pretty serious no? Like something is very damaged.

Not necessarily. It could be a very simple reason that it won't POST.
If the CPU is not physically damaged, it's probably ok.

Did you hear anything snap or crack, any smoke?

If CPU was damaged in very worst case scenario would intel give any warranty for replacement if no damage was visible?

Back