Should I return my 42" C2 and get the 48" LG 48GQ900-B for nearly same price?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Im still in the return window if I wanted to return my 42" C2 OLED and I was thinking on swapping to the LG 48GQ900-B for the added refresh rate increase, and display port. Im sure the panels are the same, but is the LG a decent monitor? Should I opt for this upgrade?

Im still in the return window if I wanted to return my 42" C2 OLED and I was thinking on swapping to the LG 48GQ900-B for the added refresh rate increase, and display port. Im sure the panels are the same, but is the LG a decent monitor? Should I opt for this upgrade?
You lose the 60hz BFI. Up to you. If you need the bigger size just get a C1 or C2.

So you get a small increase in Hz. But they remove BFI entirely? Madness...Why LG? Why?

The 48GQ900-B has a matte screen coding I think. A difference which might be quite striking. And for better or worse I guess depending on your ambient conditions. (It is partly why I didn't go with one of its 240 Hz siblings. Also wanted 4K though.)

So you get a small increase in Hz. But they remove BFI entirely? Madness...Why LG? Why?

The 48GQ900-B has a matte screen coding I think. A difference which might be quite striking. And for better or worse I guess depending on your ambient conditions. (It is partly why I didn't go with one of its 240 Hz siblings. Also wanted 4K though.)

I know right? OLED is the perfect display tech to pair up with BFI and they removed it. Yeah I get that "nobody" used it, but still just having the OPTION to use it would have been nice. My CX is currently permanently set to BFI mode and the motion clarity always amazes me every time I fire it up. Here's my CX vs my 32M2V.

Attachments

• 20230323_201957.jpg
    20230323_201957.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230323_202035.jpg
    20230323_202035.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 1
got the exchange done today at my MC and I couldnt be happier. I really like this 48" LG!

got the exchange done today at my MC and I couldnt be happier. I really like this 48" LG!
I like it too.
Unfortunately there are few issues with it. Less so if you do not plan using PS5 (or maybe also XSX) with it because of somewhat screwy HDR implementation.
For PC its really decent performer in both SDR and HDR.
Do firmware update if you haven't do so because it seems to fix some of the SDR overly aggressive dimming - it will still dim if you display full white screen or static images.

Matte screen coating was the reason I got mine and I love it. Zero issues with lighting setup, reflections, etc. I really do not like seeing my face gazing at me when I play dark games and with glossy when you sit close and have both black and bright thing on screen its unavoidable to see it in darker parts of the image... 🫣

BFI is great thing this monitor doesn't have but BFI cuts brightness by half and doesn't work with VRR. I am looking forward to much much brighter OLEDs and for when they improve BFI and re-enable it at 120Hz. Otherwise I wouldn't use it anyways because 60Hz and no VRR is lag-fest. I accept 60Hz modes for something like consoles because it is unavoidable for console-only games but otherwise on PC I would rather not use it. Also the way BFI works on OLED is far from perfect anyways. Nothing like how CRT displayed image so its just too much drawbacks and compromises for this feature to make sense in its current form it exists on TVs.

BTW.
Contrast which is available to be configured for all SDR modes you can increase from 60 to 70 without any negative issues. Past 70 you get clipping so keep it at 70. That way you get slightly brighter SDR image than default 60.

For sRGB (on my unit at least) colors were quite reddish. To get proper 6500K you need to change RGB values to 43/40/50. At least on my unit it gives identical "temperature" as calibrated mode next to it calibrated to 6500K and other monitors calibrated to 6500K. sRGB is also one of the brightest modes available. Only VIVID is slightly brighter.

If you want display to be hardware calibrated I confirm i1 Display Plus works well. Maximum brightness is somewhat lower than sRGB and sRGB after RGB tweak is already pretty good so no real need to get colorimeter.

Not sure if you noticed but OLEDs have slight flickering with VRR when frame rate fluctuates. Some people are bothered more than others by it and some even disable VRR completely. My recommendation is to keep VRR enabled just cap framerate (using GPU control panel or RTSS (Riva Tuner Statistics Server)) to below where it usually sits at in given game. That way you will have consistent framerate and flickering will only happens when framerate drops below your set limit. If it happens very occasionally this flickering its not really noticeable. When it happens all the time it might get somewhat irritating in very dark scenes. This is not perfect solution but rather workaround and is much better than disabling VRR for both avoiding stuttering and input lag.

Refresh rate best to keep always at 138Hz and it will allow you to have no input lag in sRGB mode in SDR. For whatever reason "DAS" (something to do with input lag, it has to be ON) is OFF in VIVID or sRGB modes at modes below 138Hz. Thankfully there seems to be no issues with games switching to below 138Hz so in SDR you can always enjoy lowest possible input lag in VIVID and sRGB modes.

And last thing, is that WOLED panels have something called "near black chrominance overshoot". Only some, more expensive TV manufacturers like Panasonic (and maybe SONY but not sure) fixed it on WOLED panels using different way of controlling white subpixels otherwise all LG products have it to some degree. If you notice something strange going on in darker games during movement, like flashes of light or bright edge around things, etc. this is it. No real solution for this other than getting QD-OLED or WOLED from manufacturers which fixed it. It is quite unfortunate LG doesn't know how to drive their own panels 😵

I like it too.
Unfortunately there are few issues with it. Less so if you do not plan using PS5 (or maybe also XSX) with it because of somewhat screwy HDR implementation.
For PC its really decent performer in both SDR and HDR.
Do firmware update if you haven't do so because it seems to fix some of the SDR overly aggressive dimming - it will still dim if you display full white screen or static images.

Matte screen coating was the reason I got mine and I love it. Zero issues with lighting setup, reflections, etc. I really do not like seeing my face gazing at me when I play dark games and with glossy when you sit close and have both black and bright thing on screen its unavoidable to see it in darker parts of the image... 🫣

BFI is great thing this monitor doesn't have but BFI cuts brightness by half and doesn't work with VRR. I am looking forward to much much brighter OLEDs and for when they improve BFI and re-enable it at 120Hz. Otherwise I wouldn't use it anyways because 60Hz and no VRR is lag-fest. I accept 60Hz modes for something like consoles because it is unavoidable for console-only games but otherwise on PC I would rather not use it. Also the way BFI works on OLED is far from perfect anyways. Nothing like how CRT displayed image so its just too much drawbacks and compromises for this feature to make sense in its current form it exists on TVs.

BTW.
Contrast which is available to be configured for all SDR modes you can increase from 60 to 70 without any negative issues. Past 70 you get clipping so keep it at 70. That way you get slightly brighter SDR image than default 60.

For sRGB (on my unit at least) colors were quite reddish. To get proper 6500K you need to change RGB values to 43/40/50. At least on my unit it gives identical "temperature" as calibrated mode next to it calibrated to 6500K and other monitors calibrated to 6500K. sRGB is also one of the brightest modes available. Only VIVID is slightly brighter.

If you want display to be hardware calibrated I confirm i1 Display Plus works well. Maximum brightness is somewhat lower than sRGB and sRGB after RGB tweak is already pretty good so no real need to get colorimeter.

Not sure if you noticed but OLEDs have slight flickering with VRR when frame rate fluctuates. Some people are bothered more than others by it and some even disable VRR completely. My recommendation is to keep VRR enabled just cap framerate (using GPU control panel or RTSS (Riva Tuner Statistics Server)) to below where it usually sits at in given game. That way you will have consistent framerate and flickering will only happens when framerate drops below your set limit. If it happens very occasionally this flickering its not really noticeable. When it happens all the time it might get somewhat irritating in very dark scenes. This is not perfect solution but rather workaround and is much better than disabling VRR for both avoiding stuttering and input lag.

Refresh rate best to keep always at 138Hz and it will allow you to have no input lag in sRGB mode in SDR. For whatever reason "DAS" (something to do with input lag, it has to be ON) is OFF in VIVID or sRGB modes at modes below 138Hz. Thankfully there seems to be no issues with games switching to below 138Hz so in SDR you can always enjoy lowest possible input lag in VIVID and sRGB modes.

And last thing, is that WOLED panels have something called "near black chrominance overshoot". Only some, more expensive TV manufacturers like Panasonic (and maybe SONY but not sure) fixed it on WOLED panels using different way of controlling white subpixels otherwise all LG products have it to some degree. If you notice something strange going on in darker games during movement, like flashes of light or bright edge around things, etc. this is it. No real solution for this other than getting QD-OLED or WOLED from manufacturers which fixed it. It is quite unfortunate LG doesn't know how to drive their own panels 😵
what an amazing reply, THANK YOU! Looking for firmware update now, never thought of doing this.. Thank you.. WHere can I find the file at? LG site doesnt seem to have it or i missed it??

Back