should i OC my GPU?

mictian

n00b
Hello,

I have a 9800xt and have found that it idles at about 38-39 C, and under load reaches ~49 C (temperature seems to increase fairly linearly with time, but at so low a rate that it would take ages to get very high).

I am running the card at stock speeds, and it is in a Xaser2 5000 case with plenty of airflow. Juist wondering whether it would be worthwhile to try and OC it...or will my CPU (p4 2.4GHz@533fsb) or ram (pc2100 = :( ) be more of a bottleneck than my cards speeds..

Thanks and i hope that made some sense..

Rob

Just ask yourself if you need to OC it to see the performance you desire. If the answer is yes, then by all means do. If not, leave it alone until you decide you need higher performance. It all comes down to your performance needs, and your comfort level.

P.S. - your RAM is bottlenecking your system, but that doesn't mean you would not observe an increase in straight graphics performance by OC'ing the card.

-SEAL

If you're getting the performance you need and can't afford to buy another card, then don't bother. You have the newest card and it should be a while before a game will not perform well on it. At that time, maybe overclock. I overclocked my card as an experiment and it was fine for 6 months, but then I did something else to my system and it didn't like the overclock anymore and I'm now back to stock speeds.

With those high temps I wouldn't recommend overclocking because it will probably produce more heat and more heat lessons the life of the chip. If your willing to risk breaking the card and warranty by replacing the HSF to get your temps down then by all means go ahead :)

Back