Should I install amd64 gentoo or the x86 gentoo?

ROL21

Limp Gawd
I have a AMD64 3200+ so I can use the AMD64 64 bit gentoo. I am worried however that this would not allow me to use ut2004 since it is 32 bit and that I would have far fewer applications to choose from and problems finding 64 bit drivers if I couldn't use any 32 bit programs. If i use the x86 gentoo should I just use the Athlon XP install? Thanks!

I just did a fresh install of Gentoo last night (all installed in about 9 hours from stage 1), but unfortunately I have a P4 so I can't tell you whether the 64-bits thing will be a hassle.

However, here's a link to the AMD64 Gentoo forums. The Gentoo forums are probably the best support forums I've seen (next to the [H] of course ;) ).

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=46

I would check out the AMD64 board in gentoo forums. They're VERY close now to having everything working. If you have a Radeon above 8500 though and want 3D. you should go with x86. ATI has no 64-bit drivers yet. The DRI drivers work up to 8500, and they work just fine on A64.

Actually ATI does have some 64 bit drivers you have to manually select them from the OS.

Originally posted by Wrench00
Actually ATI does have some 64 bit drivers you have to manually select them from the OS.
would you be so kind as to point out where one can get these drivers? i know getting 64bit 2D drivers is a breeze, they're in the kernel, but what is this you speak of?

Back