Should I get CoH

ARN

Gawd
i have never really played an mmorpg before except for a free trial for a few (asheron's call 2 which i didnt like very much). it has never really been an option because my parents wouldnt pay monthly so i could play a game. now i have a job making a little over $100 a week and not much to spend it on.
i was wondering if you guys recommend CoH or any other mmorpg for the non-mmorpg player such as myself?
i normally just play fpses but i have been broadening my collection lately with games like warcraft 3 and other well rated games of other genres.

Never played it but I'd like to know what this game costs a month. Seems to be popular from what I hear.

The game runs $39.99 to $49.99 on average, I can't remember where had it on sale. And the monthly fee is:
1 month for $14.95
3 months for $41.85 ($13.95 per month)
6 months for $77.70 ($12.95 per month)
12 months for $143.40 ($11.95 per month)

The first month of play is included with the purchase of the game. As for whether it's any good, I can't say for sure as I haven't played it really. I got to play a little at E3 and it seemed fun, and I've got several friends who play it and like it though.

yeah but the super heroes don't have capes! i mean! com'on now!

i'm more concerned if it has a single player campaign at all. the whole online pay seems kind of lame in that after 5 months youv'e already basically bought two games.

and i thought this said "should i get CoD"... get CoD if ya don't already have it. :)

HRslammR said:
i'm more concerned if it has a single player campaign at all. the whole online pay seems kind of lame in that after 5 months youv'e already basically bought two games.

That's exactly my reason for playing mmorpg's. How many single player games do you buy that last you even 3 months? For me, I can think of very few. I played Everquest for like 3 years, and in that time I don't think I bought another game. I paid 10/mo and bought 3 expansions...so let's say ~$500 for that game for 36 months. roughly ~$13/mo total or about $50 every 4 months. So that's basically buying a new game every 4 months. Star Wars KoTOR or something like Gothic 2 or Sacred are fun games, but they sure as hell didn't keep me occupied for 4 months...not even 1. It's really a good deal for me, as it saves me from purchasing 4-5 games per month since most only last a week or so...but that might differ for different people.

I'm playing both CoH and Lineage2 at the moment.

Out of the two, CoH is much more easy to grasp and entertain for people that have never really played an MMO. You can solo a lot more in CoH than most MMO's. At least that's my experience.

I'm loving CoH, it's really fun to me :) I've only been playing for a week now, but i'm lovin' it.

Lineage2 I've been playing sense Closed Beta, and while fun, CoH has something more. In my opinion.

I'd say it's definitly worth playing :)

HRslammR said:
yeah but the super heroes don't have capes! i mean! com'on now!

i'm more concerned if it has a single player campaign at all.

Capes are coming, whether via a patch or in the "City of Villians" expansion.

I just canceled my CoH account a couple of days ago. While the notion of superheroes in a vast city, having superpowers and the ability to establish a very unique look for your character sets it apart from other MMORPGs, it ends up boiling down to leveling. Run around, find enemy, click-click-click-click, get XP and find next mob, ding and buy enhancements to augment your powers, return to the streets to find more enemies.

Single player works for a while if you can create a decent character to solo with, but it soon becomes evident that you MUST group in order to advance in levels in an expeditious manner. Like with Shadowbane, I ended up getting bored after a while, even when I was in a really good group in which I leveled fairly quick. The single-player "missions" aren't particularly interesting, and are nothing more than ways to get more XP.

The one huge difference between CoH and most MMORPGs is that they're not having many server problems -- it seems the developers did their homework beforehand and had the infrastructure in place prior to launch. Another good thing is that you do gain XP faster than most other games, but it's still a grind.

I <3 CoH. I have seen people playing about everyother mmorpg on the planet and they are all slow as my dead grandma. CoH is at least quick and smooth. It reminds me of Diablo more than anything. It's my new crack. I can't put it down. I have new hardware for my pc sitting on my desk and I don't want to put it in because I want to play CoH. Now thats fookin' bad. :D

I have been playing for about a month. I have three characters currently (you are allowed 8 per server, and there about 12 or so servers). Two of them are fairly lower level, as I do not have the time to spend to keep them all at the same level. My main hero is at level 17, and I still think it is a BLAST!

It is worth what I paid for it, and it is worth the monthly fee IMHO. With the promises of additions/expansions and add-ons (one coming soon will add the ability to tweak your hero's look to include capes if desired), it will only get even better!

I highly recommoment it.

like Torquemada XP, I also just cancelled my account.. and for the exact same reason. There just wasnt enough to keep me going in it. Now, I have friends who like the who grinding thing.. but really, that's all there is to the game. I was just looking for more content, and it didn't provide. Stuff like PvP and a bunch of other cool ideas dont come out until City of Villians, but thats not until 2005. I just couldnt get interested in spending the next 7+ months levelling for when it comes out

A lot of folks perception about this game comes down to how they play it. Mostly solo, mostly group, or a mixture of both.

I enjoy the luxury of playing with teams frequently, but when they are not available, I go solo. I find that my solo experiences can get a little overwhelming at times, which requires a different mindset to enjoy.

When playing with a team, the types of players and the strategies used in different situations are what is appealing, above and beyond what the game offers.

Either of these methods taken individually and to excess, and I can understand where someone could tire of the game. I think in order to get the maximum benefit/enjoyment out of the game, a mixture of team and solo play is necessary.

Then there is more than the pursuit of powers, influence to buy enhancements for powers and inspirations (power-ups). It add a social and strategic influence to it, and that can make all the difference.

Of course, what I am describing likely applies to any MMORPG.

HRslammR said:
and i thought this said "should i get CoD"... get CoD if ya don't already have it. :)
dont worry i have cod.
i think i have decided against getting it, at least for now. i dont really want to give my life up to an mmorpg as i have heard happens. and diablo 2 i liked but not enough to buy. ill wait for guildwars.

EDIT: this is Arn btw i am at my friends house and forgot he was logged in

Back