Should I be afraid of Western Digital drives

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
I have had 2 WD Mybook drives completely die in the past. Both died within a year of purchase.

I have had great success with Seagate drives however.

All drives die. You don't have all that many choices for spinning disks anymore, and all the manufacturers have had their drive models which sucked. Your best plan is to have at least 1 backup of everything.

All drives die. You don't have all that many choices for spinning disks anymore, and all the manufacturers have had their drive models which sucked. Your best plan is to have at least 1 backup of everything.

and to add to that, raid is not a replacement for backup.

I've personally used about 50 modern WD drives, only had 2 fail on me in the past 8 years. As with all computer hardware, your mileage may vary.

Newer WD Green dies a lot (EARS, EARX). The rest (Blue, Black, enteprise), not really. Red is too new.

All drives fail. You should fear ALL hard drives.

Im still bitter at Seagate for the 7200.11 firmware.

I'd stick with black blue or red (or of course enterprise)... avoid green imho.

I recently had a 1.5TB black drive die on me after 2 years of service. I got a 2TB black drive back. The RMA was fast too. If your drive does die at least you will see good service.

I just seem to hear more stories of the WD drives kicking the bucket.

I went ahead and ordered 2 more Seagate drives. *crosses fingers*

I think all major brand HDD's are fine but I'm partial to WD. I've got a 80GB in an 11 year old Sony Vaio that still works and my Blue 320GB drive is from 2009 and still going good. I wouldn't lose any sleep using a Seagate, Samsung or Hitatchi but Ill stick with WD til they burn me I guess.

Back