SHIM with XP 2600?

J

jayDSM

When I bought my XP 1700 a long time ago it came with a thermaltake copper shim, I never installed it. Now I have a xp 2600 sitting here and a thermalright slk-900a that im going to be putting in within the next few days. So hear is my question, should I install the shim with the new setup? PIC @ the link below (i know is dirty but ill clean it).

http://www.reichnation.com/uploads/shim_002.jpg

shims dont really do much, of all things they could possibly make a space between the CPU and the Heat sink

the shim is designed to keep you from cracking the cpu core - especially during install/removal of the heatsink.
Now, the copper ones are a bad idea as they can conduct heat/electricity to areas of the cpu that dont need it. (Zot!)
Also, the shim may not be a universal edition. In otherwords it may not be compatible with your new cpu (as the cut outs of the shim for the xp1700 usually are not the same as cut outs for a 2600.)
There are non conductive shims - that might be an option as you have a large heatsink and might be afraid of chipping the core... But just be careful and you do not need one.

Man, Shims suck. I use to use one with my 1900 + a while back, and my cpu was running @ 65 - 70 idle. I had to run my fsb @ 100. Took that stupid thing off and everything was alot better and normal. No more sporadic reboots and freezes.

I have a Shuttle XPC with a Xp2600 Should i use the Shim? It has AS-5 on it also... i dont really know whats the diff with the shim... thanks!

Back