Shenmue 3

This is.... REAL?

What is going on here!?
FF7 remake, Last guardian.... I was just about to say, "What is Shenmue next?" and here is this thread... This is too much for one day...

504 Error, lol. Yeah the internet just broke.

This is.... REAL?

What is going on here!?
FF7 remake, Last guardian.... I was just about to say, "What is Shenmue next?" and here is this thread... This is too much for one day...

And it'll be on PC! This is exciting beyond words.

It's funny because this is the first E3 where I decided to not give a fuck and not watch a single thing. Now I am hearing all of this shit.

Yeah no kidding, I was studying an hour ago and then my phone started blowing up...
Man, if that page will ever load up.... lol

Even if it doesn't turn out to be a full featured shenmue (i don't expect it too with only 2mill) it'd be nice to have some closure.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be a full featured shenmue (i don't expect it too with only 2mill) it'd be nice to have some closure.

Bro, IGAvania hit 5 Million. And they only asked for 500k.
This shit is going to shatter that 2 Million mark, no doubt about it.
If what happened to IGA'a game, happens here, its going to be the greatest Shenmue ever.

I really have to wonder if they have additional funding. Sony has gotta be kicking them money for it to not be on X1.

Also, I think the massive budget that Shenmue had was partly a product of the technology that existed at the time. I don't think it would cost nearly as much today to make a game of the same scope.

Even if it does turn out to be a smaller game, I'm good with that. Especially if it renews interest in the series. I'd love to see Shenmue 1 and 2 get remade, or hell even just an HD port.

Friend just kickstarted $500. The gf would kill me if I do that right now. About to buy a new house and all... damnit! I can only get the game I guess :(

In my opinion this was the most exciting news at E3 so far. Even though it won't come out for a while, I don't have a PS4, so I'll have to back it for the PC version.

This and Fallout 4 has made this the best E3 I can remember in a long time. I already made my pledge.

I really have to wonder if they have additional funding. Sony has gotta be kicking them money for it to not be on X1.

That thought crossed my mind as well. The first Shenmue had a supposed budget of $47 million. I just can't see them doing this with only $2 million... even if it was scaled back, compared to Shenmue and Shenmue II.

The game has made it's 2M goal. Outstanding to see it happen in all of 10 hours.

They need to expand those stretch goals and port 1 and 2 to the PC so we can replay them without having to break out the Dreamcast and Xbox.

They need to expand those stretch goals and port 1 and 2 to the PC so we can replay them without having to break out the Dreamcast and Xbox.

I was thinking the same. It makes me wonder who owns the rights to the originals. It might still be Sega. If it is.... Nows the time to cash in.

SEGA owns the rights. Just read their FAQ on kickstarter :(.

Yeah, just saw that and came to past the same thing.

That's not necessary a bad thing though. If this KS keeps momentum it could bring it a fair amount of money. There is no doubt Sega is watching. Shenmue is back in the public eye and we already have a funded KS that says this game is for sure coming. What better time for Sega than now to work on a re-release while fans are salivating and eager to replay the first games in anticipation of the third.

I bet you someone at Sega is going to spend today discussing the viability of an HD re-release of these games. It wouldn't surprise me to see these games on PC and PS4 before Shenmue 3 releases.

I bet you someone at Sega is going to spend today discussing the viability of an HD re-release of these games. It wouldn't surprise me to see these games on PC and PS4 before Shenmue 3 releases.

If they do that, I really hope they improve the controls. Replaying Shenmue today is pretty hard to do even for me.

Dreamcast 2 Kickstarter incoming. I want to believe.

If they do that, I really hope they improve the controls. Replaying Shenmue today is pretty hard to do even for me.

Agreed. Third person games with a single analog are tough. If all they did was change the controls and render the game at 1080p60, I'd be pleased as can be.

Yeah, just saw that and came to past the same thing.

That's not necessary a bad thing though. If this KS keeps momentum it could bring it a fair amount of money. There is no doubt Sega is watching. Shenmue is back in the public eye and we already have a funded KS that says this game is for sure coming. What better time for Sega than now to work on a re-release while fans are salivating and eager to replay the first games in anticipation of the third.

Definitely! I hope that is the case. How great would that be? People this generation need to be able to experience Shenmue for themselves. It really was ahead of its time.. (I really enjoyed the japanese voices with the english subtitles).

Would be a dream come true if this ever happened...

Oh and if Dreamcast 2 ever happened that would be insane. Lol

Given the cost of the first two. I'm betting Sony is helping fund this, and it's on kickstarter to prove to Sony that there is serious interest in game.

2 million dollar shenmue game would result in about 1 hours worth of gameplay... the kickstarter must be a supplement to an already much larger established budget?

2 million dollar shenmue game would result in about 1 hours worth of gameplay... the kickstarter must be a supplement to an already much larger established budget?

I'm thinking so, the whole thing seemed a bit off to me. Personally, I'm thinking Sony are the ones truly financing the project, but are using Kickstarter as an advertisement means. "Fastest growing kickstarter project ever!".

Could you imagine how embarrassing it would've been for Sony to bring Yu out, have him pitch Shenmue 3, then have the project not meet its goal? Not that it would've ever happened, mind you.

I'm thinking so, the whole thing seemed a bit off to me. Personally, I'm thinking Sony are the ones truly financing the project, but are using Kickstarter as an advertisement means. "Fastest growing kickstarter project ever!".

Could you imagine how embarrassing it would've been for Sony to bring Yu out, have him pitch Shenmue 3, then have the project not meet its goal? Not that it would've ever happened, mind you.

This isn't the first time Sony has done this, which is why I have no doubt Sony is funding the rest. Also the exclusive console part, even with stretch goals.
Amplitude was the first project Sony did this with. They kept their name off that campaign as well(not that it mattered, since that series was always exclusive to playstation, but still.).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude?ref=nav_search

on the twitch they said sony will be providing support if they hit 2 million.

Who is they?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was apparently Sony's E3 live steam. This makes sense though. It'll be a huge exclusive for Sony to have.

Last edited:
Back