Sharing large videos over the net

mryerse

2[H]4U
I have some videos I took with some friends that amount to several gigs worth.... the other friends have the same... (vids from iraq, partying upon returning, etc)

I'd like us to share the data.... Am thinking about setting up a bittorrent tracker. Has anyone here tried this? Suggestions? Maybe there is an easier more user friendly way to do this? With a tracker I'd definitely have to walk all my friend through publishing torrents since they don't know how to use computers very well.

Not interested in youtube for two reasons) 1- reduces video quality 2- visible to everyone

With youtube, vimeo, etc, you can make the video only visible to certain people.

But, about your question. How big is each file, on average? You could try a site like megaupload or mediafire. If I was in your shoes, what I'd do is this:

Mediafire only allows 100mb per file. What you could do is archive all of the files you want to share, and split the archive into 100mb chunks. Then, upload it to mediafire and have your friend download the chunks and reassemble them. You could use 7zip for all of this, it's free.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial on how to split the files and how to reassemble the split archive.
http://www.linglom.com/2008/10/12/how-to-split-a-large-file-using-7-zip/

File 1: 167m
File 2: 176m
File 3: 103m
File 4: 75m
File 5: 36m
File 6: 746m

I have more than this but these are the main ones I want to share now.

My other problem with youtube is that if my friends want to download the videos for their own collection, youtube etc will have reduced the quality. I'd like them to have original quality.

Thanks, I'll check out megaupload and mediafire. Already have 7zip. Probably do 99m files.

BitTorrent is really designed to handle large bursts of activity. The more people you have in the swarm, the more upload bandwidth you have, which equals faster downloads. If you've only got a few friends downloading this, your max download via BT will be the sum of your currently-downloading friends' upload speed.

If you have a webhost with the space for the files and/or FTP options, that would probably be faster and less complicated than BT. Running an FTP server off your own PC will probably be slower (depending on your connection details), but would probably still be easier than BT without too much slowdown if you've only got a few downloaders.

I ended up putting them on youtube... the quality was not too bad and apparently I can limit who can see them. Thanks. I do have an unlimited (space) FTP server to use (with limited bandwidth) in case they want the files.

Can you configure orb to be available to others? I believe orb would do transcoding. The goal would be for the recipient to receive an uncompressed copy, or not any more compressed than it is. Anyway, I think ftp works just fine.

Back