Shared drive and portable hard drive.

upriverpaddler

[H]ard|Gawd
At work everyone has a piece of a network drive. It is H:, no matter what workstation you log into. Everyone has their own H:. My H: is "username$ on networkname (networkidsuchandsuch). The data on everyones H: drive is separate form everyone elses.

We are not allowed to have an excessive amount of files on this drive because with so many users, the physical drive will fill up fast. Mostly everyone keeps their .pst file on it so they can access their email wherever they are. And some work related documents. Recently there was a purge of music and video files.

The question is: If I am logged into one machine, can I map my portable drive thru the H: drive so that I can access it from another workstation (I can access the H: drive from multiple workstations at the same time)?

Sorry I may not be using the right terminology. I'm not good at networking.

If your storage device is networkable then, yes, you could do what you are inquiring about. Your Home Folder in AD will ahve to be changed to reflect the location of the networked portable storage device.

However, attaching a portable storage device may be a violation of your company's security policies. I would recommend checking with your IT department to see about getting your disk quota raised or to see if they will allow you to use your external drive.

At work everyone has a piece of a network drive. It is H:, no matter what workstation you log into. Everyone has their own H:. My H: is "username$ on networkname (networkidsuchandsuch). The data on everyones H: drive is separate form everyone elses.

We are not allowed to have an excessive amount of files on this drive because with so many users, the physical drive will fill up fast. Mostly everyone keeps their .pst file on it so they can access their email wherever they are. And some work related documents. Recently there was a purge of music and video files.

The question is: If I am logged into one machine, can I map my portable drive thru the H: drive so that I can access it from another workstation (I can access the H: drive from multiple workstations at the same time)?

Sorry I may not be using the right terminology. I'm not good at networking.

The way you wrote this, it appears you are asking about using a portable drive at work and remapping the H: (home drive) mapping to be on the portable drive.

Did you really mean that?

You did not mention a home network any place.

It's likely against company policy to do that at work. That sidesteps the point of having company related data stored and backed up on the server. You may be able to install the drive on your PC at work and SHARE it out, but that is also likely against company policy. I know I'd shut it right down if I was the admin.

If you are talking about your home network, install the drive on one PC and SHARE it. Then you can map the other PCs in the house to see it as the H: drive if you wish.

Yes it is at work. Portable hard drives are allowed. Thumb drives are given as safety awards. There are no security issues at play here.

It's not a networked portable drive. I don't want to share the drive with the whole network.

There is a networked physical drive. Everyone can store data on it. Everyones data is invisible to everyone else. Only the person logged into XP Pro can see their own data on the network drive (which happens to be H:). This data is visible to the user on any workstation he logs into.

If I log onto Workstation A, I have access to my network drive (H:) and my WD Passport (E:) plugged into Workstation A

If I log onto another Workstation B at the same time, I have access to that same network drive (H:), but my WD Passport is on another floor plugged into Workstation A.

I want to put a shortcut to (E:) in my (H:).I know it's not that simple, but maybe it explains it better.

You can do what you want.

Plug the drive into your machine, SHARE it out and give only yourself rights to it.
Then you can have a shortcut to it on your H: drive as

\\machine name or IP\share name

Back