SG02, P5E-VM, TRUE: will it fit ?

Phuncz

2[H]4U
As I stumbled upon some very disturbing facts when I bought an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 and tried to run it beyond factory spec in my Shuttle SG33G5 (locked MP, very limited FSB), I've had the last drop and am going for something a bit bigger. At the moment I have my DVDRW and HDD externally because of the Scyth Mugen 2 I fitted in there. But this external trend is only getting worse with all decent videocards being at least dual-slot, which in the SG33G5 won't work. I can't even fit my 8800 Ultra without cutting up the case, adding a power supply and sawing the cover in two. And because a Shuttle SX48P2 costs 500€/600$, I'm not really inclined to go the Shuttle way again to have the same problems in the future.

So I began my search and found the SG01/SG02 series from Silverstone. Reading up a lot on this forum I assembled the following components for purchase yet to make:

SilverStone Micro Tower SG02F
Antec PSU NeoPower650 Blue
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Thermalright XP-120

It is my understanding this all *should* fit. I'm not sure if the cooler will fit with the above components and Corsair Dominator DDR2 memory... I'm going to run the aformentioned QX6850 in there in hopes of getting at least some decent FSB overclock and multipliers. Also, for now, a Geforce 8800 Ultra will need to do the graphics which should fit without a problem I guess. So the question again, will this all fit ?

Last edited:
Where did you find someone that had fit a TRUE inside a SUGO? You're pretty much limited to the NT-06E or Enzotech Extreme if you don't like modding, neither of which can really handle an overclocked quad.

Won't fit. No way.
If you want a micro-tower that can house a TRUE, take a look at a NSK3480. I know a HR-01 PLUS fits, so a TRUE should fit. Replacing the PSU is an issue, however, as it is a very tight fit.

Ah I seem to have mixed them up, I meant the XP-120... I'll change the startpost :)

35-109-118-01.JPG

This one. It *should* fit as it doesn't exceed 8cm height.

Or how about the Scythe Shuriken ?
scytheShuriken_pspcd.jpg

About 75mm including fan !

Or the Zalman 8700 ?
8700led_c_p.jpg

About 70mm including fan !

Good info here: http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

Last edited:
The Zalman is a bit puny for a quad, but the XP-120 should work nicely, as with the Scythe

Do they still make the XP-120? I thought the 140 had replaced it...

Forget the Zalman. It sucks.

OK I ordered the Shuriken along with another order I had running. Also ordered the case, PSU and motherboard. I'll update this thread when I got everything up and running, with pics !

The Shuriken isn't going to do so well with an overclocked quad IMO.. its a small cooler, very efficient and always quiet regardless of load, but I think its best paired with a low-power quad or a dual core.

It seems I don't have much options anyway, since it's such a small case and I need to think about RAM modules too. The XP-120 wasn't readily available with my shops so I didn't have much choice. The Noctua N12P is a solution but I don't have a belt sander... So I'll have to make due :) Maybe later I'll upgrade if I find something better, but first and foremost I would like to get the system up and running so my old system can go to it's buyer.

I also saw someone post a picture on this forum with a Scythe heatpipe chipset cooler, I'm hoping I'll be able to install that in the near future as well. Might help the FSB overclocking. I'm not going for the world record but I would like to at least achieve 3.6GHz out of the QX6850. Seeying as many even get 4GHz out of it, that's not asking much.

This week I received all my components like the Silverstone NT06-E and a couple of fans. The Scythe Shuriken wasn't available anymore, the same for the Coolermaster GeminII S. The cooler performs better than expected, seeying it's not actively cooled anymore. 50-55°C idle and not much more when gaming. I also got three 80mm Sharkoon Silent Eagle fans for the available holes and a Scythe Jyu Slim 1000 (only 10mm thick!) for the 8800 Ultra with a Thermalright HR-03 Plus.

But that wasn't the best idea ever: even at idle the card hit more than 100°C, also because most of the case cover covered the fan. I replaced it with two of the Sharkoon fans I couldn't place anyway because of the HR-03 Plus' heatpipes getting in the way. And now it idles at 55°C and playing games it's about 80-90°C which is reasonable for quiet/unhearable fans. The Scythe Jyu Slim now cools the harddrive :)

To reduce noise I also suspended the Raptor with two very large tie-wraps, now it doesn't resonate the entire case anymore. All I need to do is make a hole in the side so I can close the case. The combination of P5E-VM, 8800 Ultra, HR-03 Plus and two 80x25mm fans is a centimeter to big to fit inside the case. A shame Thermalright made their cooler so big when mounted on the top of the card.

To reduce noise I also suspended the Raptor with two very large tie-wraps, now it doesn't resonate the entire case anymore.

I don't think you don't want a hard drive dangling loose. It is not designed for those kind of vibrations and torquing. Hard drives should be kept cool and anchored securely.

I don't think you don't want a hard drive dangling loose. It is not designed for those kind of vibrations and torquing. Hard drives should be kept cool and anchored securely.
?

hard drives can operate while suspended, many people do it to eliminate noise

The fact some people do it seems a rather weak argument. If reliability is important, secure the drive to the manufacturer specifications which will always tell you to do so using 4 side or bottom mounting screws.

I've heard of people using rubber band like straps to suspend hard drives. In fact I think there have been some ATX cases made with that type of suspension like hd cages if I remember correctly. I've never used a SG02 before but couldnt you just buy some after market rubber grommets and use them in the mounting in the SG02? I would think that would work instead of having to suspend the hd with tie wraps.

Back