SFF New Build

AceCurby32

n00b
I've never done a custom SFF build and after doing a ton of research, I thought I'd get some input before I put stuff together. Thanks!

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming such as Eve, Civ 5, Europa Universalis 4 - mostly strategy games.
2. Will you be overclocking? No.
3. What's your budget? $750
4. Where do you live? Concord, CA - Fry's down the street.
5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? RAM, Graphics Card, Case, HD, MB
6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? i5 3570k,
7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? I'm leaning toward using the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe, but other suggestions are way welcome.
8. What resolution output do you need? 1080p - Hooking this up to a 55" TV
9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Space size is 8"x17", doesn't have to have an optical drive, but I'm ok if you guys can recommend a case that can fit one.
10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? Plug and play. I can do custom stuff, but for this build I'd rather not.
11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? Not that important. I'd rather not have it sound like a airplane though - it is going into my living room.
12. How mobile does this system need to be? Doesn't need to be mobile at all.
13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Win 7 64bit
14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Couple of weeks.

If any other info is needed, just ask. :)

For the case, do you want small or smaller?

Smaller - Silverstone SG05
Small - Fractal Design Node 304
Medium - Bitfenix Prodigy

Have a look at those cases to get an idea.

From the smaller to the small size - the medium is too big. It's going to go into a cabinet that has my cable box, 360, PS3, and soon to be XBox One...

The SG05 looks good, but the SG08 looks clean...except for the $200 price tag. Haha.

SG08 includes a quality PSU which explains some of the price. But if you like the SG08, then the Node 304 has the same kind of look, anodised aluminium front but much cheaper.

Ah, that's something I forgot - a PSU...maybe that case makes sense to get then since it includes it already...

Also, CPU cooler suggestions would be welcome as well.

CPU cooler depends on motherboard.

My favourite SG08 build that I've seen with the motherboard you mention above is Max15Lv1 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717133

I liked that build because Miah used a Noctua C12P without its fan and let the SG08's own 180mm intake fan do the work. Makes it all less cramped and looks cleaner.

How about:
Case: Shuttle SZ77R5. About $330.
Mainboard: Included. (this one has 4 DIMMs).
PSU: Included (500W 80 Plus).
RAM: 4GBx2 DDR3 1600MHz. About $50.
Graphics Card: Any non-dual-chip cards. Blower fan preferred (because of the small case). About $250.
HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB. On sale right now on Newegg US for $79.99 with coupon EMCYTZT4768.

Optional SSD for OS drive: A good 128GB MLC SSD (Toshiba, Samsung, Intel,...) for $70-90.
Optional ODD: About $30.
Optional closed loop liquid cooler: Asetek 545LC. $95 shipped.
Optional silent 92mm fan: Noctua or ZALMAN SF2 Shark's Fin Blade 92mm. About $15. (Because you do not overclock, for an i5 the stock fan is not loud. I list this optional silent fan just in case).

Total with optional components: $940.

How about:
Graphics Card: Any non-dual-chip cards. Blower fan preferred (because of the small case). About $250.
HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB. On sale right now on Newegg US for $79.99 with coupon EMCYTZT4768.

Optional SSD for OS drive: A good 128GB MLC SSD (Toshiba, Samsung, Intel,...) for $70-90.
Optional ODD: About $30.
Optional closed loop liquid cooler: Asetek 545LC. $95 shipped.
Optional silent 92mm fan: Noctua or ZALMAN SF2 Shark's Fin Blade 92mm. About $15. (Because you do not overclock, for an i5 the stock fan is not loud. I list this optional silent fan just in case).

Total with optional components: $940.

Don't forget to also get a decent cpu.

How about:

I like the Shuttle and it looks like its on the cheaper side w/ the MB included compared to the case+MB separate.

You recommend the WD Green HD - is that just because of the energy saving aspect or the price? I was originally thinking of going with just a 1TB WD Black drive...

You probably don't want a 5400RPM drive as your system drive.

Tiger Direct has Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM drives for $45 after rebate.

Also, the SZ77R5 supports mSATA SSDs, such as this bp4 model, if you've got $99 to spare in your budget ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the Shuttle and it looks like its on the cheaper side w/ the MB included compared to the case+MB separate.

You recommend the WD Green HD - is that just because of the energy saving aspect or the price? I was originally thinking of going with just a 1TB WD Black drive...

Well, nowadays it's common to have a 120/128GB as an OS drive so why not go with a cheap HDD to store everything else? Because you didn't list SSD as your currently needed component, I thought it would be better to buy this HDD 1st and then buy another SSD when you have the money. (Yes, I've listed the SSD as optional).

Also, the SZ77R5 supports mSATA SSDs, such as this bp4 model, if you've got $99 to spare in your budget ;)

Yes, but if you want SATA3 speed then use a SATA SSD instead. The mSATA slot only runs at SATA2 speed. (But meh, I use the mSATA myself. You won't notice the difference in daily usage anyway). Also the 120/128GB mSATA will be on sale sometimes for $80-90.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys for the info. I'm leaning on going with the Shuttle and then running a 1TB 7200 drive in it to cut down on the cut some.

My desktop has a 128gb SSD drive as the boot drive and while I do love it, I can always upgrade down the road on the SFF.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Back