Sex-a-fied air filter...

Lamont

Supreme [H]ardness
This same tut can be downloaded from here ::CLICK::
I noticed my Lian-Li case was sucking up serious dust. This was somethig that I thought would be a problem. Finally, after a couple of months, nice weather and the search of food got me off my butt long enough to pick up the material needed.

robber02.jpg

This is just any old pair of stockings. I chose L'eggs because it's the stocking of choice amoung cross-dressers. These were about $2.50. Or you can go and steal some from your mom or sister (in some cases.. dad..).

robber03.jpg

This is the guts of the PC-V1000B. Three zones to reduce temps inside. My kid is on the upper right... he has been eyeing those shiney wheels for weeks. There are two huge fans, one in the front and one in the back.

robber06.jpg

The one in the front was a nasty mo-fo, so let's do that first. Undo the thubscrews and pull out the fan. The grill pops off easy – up and out.

robber08.jpg

Some people use air. I used water... it was right nasty in there. Make sure you dry the damn thing off. I know it's something that doesn't need to be said, but some people actually DO need to be told to do things.

robber09.jpg

Now you want to cut off a good size of stocking. I used the toe end and gave about an inch extra. Place the original filter back in the grill and slip the stocking over it. It should look like the image below.

robber10.jpg

robber11.jpg

Place it back on the fan (reverse motion from above: in and down...) and place the fan back in the case. For an added effect, use white or yellow stockings with your LED lights.

robber12.jpg

Pull out the back fan. There aren't any screws, just little popper thingies. Be careful not to break them. You're going to do the same thing as before, just slip it over and pop the popper thingies back in place.

robber13.jpg

Ta-da!! You're all done and ready to do something... what it is, I really don't care to know.

robber14.jpg

Many of you are thinking what to do with the extra stocking? Well if you have more than two fans, you might want to keep going till they are all covered. Or you can use the excess in more creative ways:
robber15.jpg

Met-AL said:
Yep. Me too. Nice sink. I got mine overclocked.
Me too, I got it from 1.3 gal per minute to 15 gal per minute. But I had to throttle it down to 9 gal per minute because it overheated too much and was unstable.

Had that sink in my old place, I could only ever get it up to 7.5 gal per minute. I think I had a faulty airator or something.

:p

Stocking filters are the greatest.

waddles said:
Had that sink in my old place, I could only ever get it up to 7.5 gal per minute. I think I had a faulty airator or something.

:p

Stocking filters are the greatest.

At what torque on the valves? I got mine stable at 10 gpm with 50 ft/lb of tourqe. Any higher and i get problems...

Same questions as the above 2. Also does this help quiet the fans down a little or the opposite.

Also cute little mod helper you got there. 2nd pic.

pantyhose is known to be used for off road racing where there's tonnes of fine sands that will ruin your aftermarket airfilters

Only time will tell, but the holes are smaller, so I am sure the dust will be a fraction of what it was before.

And the noise is the same... my videocard is a noisey bastard.

I use these on my case, and yes they work, as far as I can tell, theres almost no reduction in airflow, but there is *no* dust after 2 months in my case, and I used to have to dust it weekly... still gota vaccuum the stockings pretty often tho :p

Wrench said:
Also cute little mod helper you got there. 2nd pic.
That's my son... he's always trying to get at my comp.. all those sparkley things in there :D.

That case has some serious holes on the back and bottom, I don't think the temp rose at all. I don't have a before/after of my temp readings. When I get home, I'll let you know.

Lamont said:
That's my son... he's always trying to get at my comp.. all those sparkley things in there :D.

Just wait till he gets older. My son is 3 now and I have to ration computer time already. :D

Wow, I totally missed your kid in the corner of the pic.

I think we've got a junior computer geek in training here. :)

Great idea.

I tried using dryer sheets...didn't work too well...

Impeded the airflow WAY too much for my liking.

I'll probably give this one a go today, after the cross-dressing I've planned is completed :p

Back