Seti

klaatu51

n00b
I just returned from out of town and cannot get to the SETI message boards. Is
anyone else having tis problem?

klaatu51

OMG I was about to respond with "Hey man, this is the Folding@Home forum, no SETI stuff here!"

Then I read the title of the forum, and was hit with a ton of bricks :D:D:D

I just went to check it out. It loads a blank page but doesn't spit out any errors. Is that what your getting?

And yes, this is the Distributed Computing forum, even though 98% of the post are for folding.

yup blank page for me as well, they also commented about this on the seti forums (boinc)

corran_horn314 said:
I just went to check it out. It loads a blank page but doesn't spit out any errors. Is that what your getting?

And yes, this is the Distributed Computing forum, even though 98% of the post are for folding.

Probably more like 97% folding, 2% other stuff and 1% Moose poking. :)

We have a Distributed Computing program for moose poking? :eek:

corran_horn314 said:

THis is a sign.. maybe you should start folding :)

Thanks for all the help. I have a HT chip so I do fold and run SETI. The way things are going over there the program may have ended without them telling anyone.

When SETI ends, if it hasn't already, I will fold and run ClimatePrediction.

Thanks again.

klaatu51

corran_horn314 said:
He said he's already folding, if he wants to devote half of his cpu to something else, fine by me.

It was just my opinion...?? lol... of course it's fine.. did i say it was wrong?

sorry, i didn't mean to imply that you were being mean or anything...
i was also offering an opinion

Naturally F@H is probably more important to humanity than SETI, but I started
SETI about four years or 2800 WU's ago and want to stick it out. Also, I am
traveling a lot and don't have DSL or cable and as far as I know there no
caching programs so I have no way to keep folding units loaded. Does
anyone know of a caching program that I'm not aware of? Thanks again.

klaatu51

klaatu51 said:
The question is, will they find intelligent life on Earth?

klaatu51

He will save us :p If he cant, no one can :p We all know how reliable and dependable he is!!! :p

->
bill-gates-mugshot.jpg

->
bill_gates-normal.jpg

klaatu51 said:
The question is, will they find intelligent life on Earth?

klaatu51

I see that you like the old movie, " The Day the Earth Stood Still? "

I had the pleasure of meeting Patrica Neil a couple of years ago, though after her stroke, poor thing!

I really wanted her to say those, "get the robot to move", words from the movie: I don't remember them, I haven't seen it since I was seven. And I think it was made that year. ;) But the lady only cared to talk about the film, "In Harm's Way."

The 51 as in Area. SETI. Space Tech "hardly" interests you at all klaatu51? Fascinating subject.

Opps, on topic now: SETI or Folding?

When you get your answer about a cache program for folding, I'll be interested to read. I don't have DSL or cable either. And I'm poking around the subject matter here.

P.S. "3 way split" above has provided the answer to Black Holes in space. It's where Bill got the idea for the holes in Internet Explorer. Yep, Bill wrote the Black Hole code.

When you first config F@H there is a line which asks if you want to do timeless workunits.
With that set the next line asks if you want to download in batches.
That should give you 10 workunits downloaded.
Only played around with that setting once as all my boxen are +2 Ghz and I'm connected by broadband so I don't know how well it works.

Luck............ :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Tigerbiten said:
When you first config F@H there is a line which asks if you want to do timeless workunits.
With that set the next line asks if you want to download in batches.
That should give you 10 workunits downloaded.
Only played around with that setting once as all my boxen are +2 Ghz and I'm connected by broadband so I don't know how well it works.

Luck............ :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Ok Tigerbiten,

I'm folding, I think. I installed the software, set to team 33, and chose no deadline batch work.

Is that correct??

I suppose I'll only fold 1 or 2 proteins in months, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Thank-you for info.

Ok, says this. Look Ok whatever:

http://www.imagelink.org/id8505.jpg

Papa-Ming said:
I see that you like the old movie, " The Day the Earth Stood Still? "

I had the pleasure of meeting Patrica Neil a couple of years ago, though after her stroke, poor thing!

I really wanted her to say those, "get the robot to move", words from the movie: I don't remember them, I haven't seen it since I was seven. And I think it was made that year. ;) But the lady only cared to talk about the film, "In Harm's Way."

The 51 as in Area. SETI. Space Tech "hardly" interests you at all klaatu51? Fascinating subject.

Opps, on topic now: SETI or Folding?

When you get your answer about a cache program for folding, I'll be interested to read. I don't have DSL or cable either. And I'm poking around the subject matter here.

P.S. "3 way split" above has provided the answer to Black Holes in space. It's where Bill got the idea for the holes in Internet Explorer. Yep, Bill wrote the Black Hole code.

"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto." ;)

BillR said:
"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto." ;)

Holy cow! That's it!

Boy does that bring back childhood memories. :)

From this day forward, I shall always fondly remember BillR as ; " Gort".

thanks, sincerely. :cool:

Papa-Ming said:
From this day forward, I shall always fondly remember BillR as ; " Gort".
Hehe, I think we'll all now remember BillR as Gort!

Thanks for all the replies and support. I am at a hotel computer out of town so it will
be two weeks until I can look at reconfiguting F@H to work on "timeless units".
Glad to know someone thought of that.

As for klaatu51, I wish I had thought of Area 51 but I added the 51 because my
ISP had already assigned klaatu and both the movie and I were released in
1951.....but I may claim the Area 51 from now on. The movie is, IMHO, one
of the best movies of all time. It is just as meaningful today as it was back in
the day. I had forgotten that Ms. Neil had a stroke. Both were good movies
but there may have been more acclaim for "In Harm's Way".

Thanks again.

klaatu51

klaatu51 said:
Thanks for all the replies and support. I am at a hotel computer out of town so it will
be two weeks until I can look at reconfiguting F@H to work on "timeless units".
Glad to know someone thought of that.

As for klaatu51, I wish I had thought of Area 51 but I added the 51 because my
ISP had already assigned klaatu and both the movie and I were released in
1951.....but I may claim the Area 51 from now on. The movie is, IMHO, one
of the best movies of all time. It is just as meaningful today as it was back in
the day. I had forgotten that Ms. Neil had a stroke. Both were good movies
but there may have been more acclaim for "In Harm's Way".

Thanks again.

klaatu51

I believe she actually had several strokes, but has worked since.

The movie is being or has been re-released in a much enhanced version on DVD. I totally agree, it's pretty timeless. :D

Back