Server rack enclosure

Usually with servers, you want to plan for the future, so you go overboard on the specs. You skimped on the CPU and RAM for sure, I would've bumped those up two dual processors and 4gb RAM, but maybe that's just me. All of the desktops we are ordering are more powerful than that...2gb RAM, dual core 2.4ghz pentiums, etc.

We're a not for profit org, so we have certain limitations on budget
The word "upgradeability" is one that comes with PE servers - so I don't see it was skimping at all

Usually with servers, you want to plan for the future, so you go overboard on the specs. You skimped on the CPU and RAM for sure, I would've bumped those up two dual processors and 4gb RAM, but maybe that's just me. All of the desktops we are ordering are more powerful than that...2gb RAM, dual core 2.4ghz pentiums, etc.

A few things wrong with this post, if I may...
1) When sizing your hardware, several factors must be applied to permit satisfactory performance over the expected lifespan of the hardware (typically 5 years). Arbitrary numbers (2 CPUs, 4 Go) make no sense at all.

2) It appears that applications are being migrated from aging hardware to these new boxes. So, there will be an immediate prformanc gain and some room for growth.

3) It seems cruel to tell someone who just bought single CPU (max) boxes that they should have dual-CPU machines ;-)

That said, I must say that I tend to agree with the folks who mention the addition of a second disk in each machine. You can simply purchase new (identical) drives for each (from Dell to avoid buck-passing in case of warranty service). RAID-1 capability is built into your servers and setup is dead simple. It offers major peace of mind, especially if you have several people relying on you to keep the applications running on your servers.

Hi again guys.

Tomorrow (Monday night into Tues) is the big moveover for us!

I have taken your comments on board, and ordered two new hard drives, they arrived so there's now 2, and put another 1GB ram in each. This is absolutely ample for us, as I said before what we used to run on makes this look like the supercomputer of the year ;)

What I wanted to you ask you before getting it all setup and then having to move things around, is that if there's anything wrong with putting the two Dell Poweredge servers on top of each other in the rack (no gap between them). All the images I've seen in the networking gallery here and Google's images shows that most people do that, but I just wondered whether that causes more heat problems or so forth?

The way I want to do it is...

Code:
Top: KVM pullout tray with Kb/Mouse
2: 1 x Dell PowerEdge
3: 1 x Dell PowerEdge
4: 3Com SuperStack Switch
5: HP ProCurve Switch
6: Tray with Cisco Router/NTU
Bottom: UPS

Thanks!

Don't worry about space in between. Rackmount servers are designed to venillate from front to back. The idea is to get a cabinet as densely populated as possible to save real estate (floor space).

This may be a bit late, but the order of your units sounds reasonable. Try to see how the cables will look before finalising things. In the back of a server cabinet, neatness counts. With only two servers, this consideration is not critical, but you can imagine how important it becomes in a densely populated 42u cabinet.

Hope it goes (went) well.

Back