Serious boot problem

USMC_Grunt

Gawd
Ok my gf just restarted my computer and walked away and it says that the "ntkernal" or something is corrupted or missing. That is bad. I can boot from the cd or anything. Last night AVG detected a Trojan, but it was taken care of. Perhaps it wasn't, I don't know but my computer isn't booting anymore. When I go into the BIOS its VERY laggy which is weird. I'm assuming I will have to reformat (which sucks ass). I'm trying to make a boot disk so I can get to a command prompt, and my dad (I'm on his computer now) doesn't have a boot.ini file anywhere lol. I searched his HD and nothing.. which is weird.

Well anyways. What are my options?

Are the files hidden? Any NT based machine will have a boot.ini file.

Anyway, you say you can boot from a CD.....so why not run the repair?

Originally posted by djnes
Anyway, you say you can boot from a CD.....so why not run the repair?

Sorry, that was a typo. I can't boot from the cd.

Also I found out its just my keyboard that is lagging which is very odd.

I used a Win98 boot disk, could I format my HD using FDISK? I can't remember what that program is for heh.

I would figure boot.ini would have to be on the systems. However I can't find it. I would imagine its hidden, but I can view hidden files. Still nothing. I thought it was in the C:\ root directory but nothing. I got ntldr, ntdetect.com, but not boot.ini from there.

FDISK is used to create or delete partitions on the drive. if you use this you will lose all data on the drive. also u can use the boot disk to format the drive.

start > run> type msconfig > enter - boot.ini is located there.

Oh, BTW, gdisk is a million times better than fdisk. It has doesn't have the size limitations and formatting limitations that fdisk has.

Back