Serious A7N8X Problem: Please Help

SquiDDy

Limp Gawd
well, if you read my other thread you probably already know one part of the problem

ok, im pretty mad at asus, and im about an inch away from going off and buying a abit mobo

ok, problems started about a month back, the thing just wouldnt boot, the only way i could get it to boot, was if i reset the cmos, i coldnt even get into the bios and then reset things, then start the computer, i had to start from cratch with a cmos reset if i wanted the thing to boot,

ok, so i rma it, figure there is somthing wrong that i cant fix, so i sent it off, and got it back today,

what happens when i hook everything up, yah, dosent start up, and i cant reset the cmos, because the damn jumper wont even come off, its like they glued the thing in place...

anyways, do you think there could be somthing else causing that besides a motherboard issue?? ram??? processor??? its not the vid card because it works fine in my other computer, but im not 100% sure about the ram and processor

well, now i have a new problem,

i went back, checked to make damn sure that everything was hooked up properly, and as far as i could tell it was, i took out the ram and checked it out, made sure the vid card was deff. good, checked all the jumpers, things like that,

go to boot it, it turns on, but doesnt beep, and about 5 secconds later turns back off,

this is all it will do right now

wtf???

Originally posted by SquiDDy
what is wrong with you people

What do you mean by that? There is nothing wrong with us. We just have no information to go on to help you out with. You seem to be rather n00bish, so pay some respect and perhaps people will be willing to help you out.

The phrase that pays for the day is "its never the motherboard". Think that, and proceed with caution (hint: try known good processor in board with known good ram, and a known good power supply).

ok, ive swapped everything but the ram, and the power suply, ill try those

i also got it to stay on by unplugging the cpu fan from the fan controler

and sorry to seem disrespectful of the posters here, but why should i give them respect when i have recieved 0 help in 3 days, 2 posts, and many many ups of my threads

The system panel connectors all right?
Do you have a speaker connected? If so, is the speech post saying anything?

Originally posted by SquiDDy
and sorry to seem disrespectful of the posters here, but why should i give them respect when i have recieved 0 help in 3 days, 2 posts, and many many ups of my threads

The forum was down for many many hours over the past few days, which generally causes a large sag in general posting traffic- ifyou tried to get on throughout a morning (like yesterday), and the forum is down, then you'd be much less likely to try to get on the rest of the day, eh? In terms of why we should get respect when not replying is because we expect to be treated with respect, just as we will treat you with respect when you ask questions that some of us may know the answer to. A non-reply is not because we want to disrepect you, but is generally caused by a poorly written post that makes no sense. Honestly, I wasn't going to reply until you pissed me off by asking what was wrong with us, because I sensed you were a flaming n00b that blames everything on the motherboard, based on your statements quoted here:

ok, im pretty mad at asus, and im about an inch away from going off and buying a abit mobo

Does this make some sense to you?

Anyhow, i'm feeling nice, so I have included a few thoughts for your benefit.

A few things to consider. 5 seconds is generally just enough tiem for the board to realize that the heatsink isn't mounted well and cut off the board to avoid from damaging hte processor.

I also will generally suggest that the board is taken out of the case, and placed on an anti-static type surface to eliminate improper mounting as a possible cause. Additionally, only have the basics attatched, which seems like you have covered- no front panel connectors, no usb stuff, etc etc.

for the love of god.. post your system specs, so we can possibly determine if there is a gross hardware problem.. liking running your rig on a POS 250 watt PSU...

thx for the help guys, i realy apreciate it, sorry for being a little hot headed in my earlier posts, i was just pretty agrivated by the seeming lack of wanting to help me, i felt like i was just being ignored, and i was unaware of the board having problems.

i seem to have solved the quick shut down problem by taking a good look at the configuration of my cpu fan, i had it pluged into my new fan controler, wich im thinking the mother board was not recognising as a fan.. so it was shutting down to protect the processor, so i pluged the fan directly into the computer and it is staying on now

but i still have my earlier problem of it not posting any bios, im not sure if it is beeping, is that a speaker built into the mobo, or the one i need to hook up that does the beeping??

ok, here is everything hooked up right now i think...but im gonna pull it all out of my case tommorow and find the deffinate source of the problem by just hooking up the basics as stated above in somones reply

Asus Basic A7N8X Mobo, non deluxe, over a year and a half old {wondering when the bad battery batch was sent out}

2200+ athlon xp

2 256 sticks of pc2100 samsung ddr ram

sapphire 9600xt

audigy 2 platinum

2 hdds, one 40, one 60

cdrw

dvd

500 watt off brand psu [ this is now my main suspect besideds a total mobo failure]

thermaltake volcano 9 [i think??]

all fans replaced with svc blueuv fans

only power button is hooked up to the mother board right now as far as the connectors direcly to the mobo go

You need to plug the speaker into the header. It's just like the power button. If you RMA'd (with newegg, at least) they sent you a brand new board, so don't worry about it being old.

Is the monitor turning on?

yes, the board will only give diagnostic reports if you have speakers hooked up via the onboard sound and post reporting is enabled in the bios.

the bad battery batch was sent out about a 1 1/2 ago, so that couuld be a possibilty there... since you have a radeon card, you might also want to try disabling agp 8x and fast writes to see if that improves your situation, as there have been some stability problems with this combo in the past...

but, it would be the most helpful to see what the post reporter says is the fault right now... that will help narrow down the problem...

Back