Semprons Released

I was sort of expecting to get a lot of replies to this thread.

NO one has any thoughts or comments about the AMD sempron ?

I want to see how they overclock. Someone buy one. Or buy me one.

toms review shows that the sempron rapes the intel in almost every test...only on a few does it fall short. typically encoding, and only by 3-5 seconds.

edit: should have finished benchies...it does lag behind in the business apps...

DryFire said:
paper launch

I believe this is sempron powered laptop but I am not positive

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8026&qp=0083908383268&oid=95422&m=0

It has a 1.6 ghz 3000+ rated processor that they are calling an Athlon XP-Mobile but the other XP-Mobile 3000+ is clocked at 2.2ghz. I am pretty sure this is a sempron. Interestingly if you go to hp's site and do a build your own they have a 2800+ option that is also clocked at 1.6ghz. So what is the difference between these chips.

i don't think we'd see moble semprons before we can buy the desktop ones.

edit: but it does look sempronish.

Yeah generally the bugs are worked out is less harsh desktop world and then made into mobiles.

My guess is that they are entirely A64's with 1/2 cache turned off and new microcode or possibly external switches.

draksia said:
I believe this is sempron powered laptop but I am not positive

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8026&qp=0083908383268&oid=95422&m=0

It has a 1.6 ghz 3000+ rated processor that they are calling an Athlon XP-Mobile but the other XP-Mobile 3000+ is clocked at 2.2ghz. I am pretty sure this is a sempron. Interestingly if you go to hp's site and do a build your own they have a 2800+ option that is also clocked at 1.6ghz. So what is the difference between these chips.

Thats not a sempron powered lappy, especially since if i remember correctly, the semprons will be slower than bartons since they'll have half the cache. So they arent gonna make slower chips with higher ratings, at least they shouldn't do that. Something seems fishy about that site, I think someone filled out the information wrong.

I know how it is when the don't fill in information correctly on those sorts of websites.

One time I saw a Intel Duron with 2mb of level 3 cache

Spleeze said:
Thats not a sempron powered lappy, especially since if i remember correctly, the semprons will be slower than bartons since they'll have half the cache. So they arent gonna make slower chips with higher ratings, at least they shouldn't do that. Something seems fishy about that site, I think someone filled out the information wrong.

You can check hp's website and see they list the same specs. Remeber they are two kinds of sempron the socket 754 ones and the socketA ones which are completely different. Socket 754 ones have to have an one die memory controller because there is not one on the motherboard. That chip I believe is a socket 754 sempron which are based on the A64 core because hp list that laptop as having A64 options. What exactly the socket A semprons are is another question. They could be just a renamed throughbred core or they could be a hammer based core with the memory controller removed for socket A use.

those laptops are semprons (DONT POST RESPONSES IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT) the 3000+ xp-m is the 256 kb processor, and the 2800+ has only 128 kb L2

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the 3000+ and the 2800+.

It does seem a little odd to call it 3000+ when the newcastle 3000+ has twice the cache and 2ghz speed compared to only 1.6ghz of that chip.

From my understanding, the Socket A Semprons are Thoroughbred cores with 256KB L2 cache, while the Socket 754 is an Athlon64 with a 1.6Ghz HT link, no 64-bit support, and only 256KB L2 cache.

What I want to know is, if the Athlon64 - based Sempron is based on the Athlon64, has only 256Kb L2 cache, and runs at 1.8Ghz, how does it garner a 3100+ rating while an actual Athlon64 with 512Kb L2 cache, full 64-bit instruction set, and also runs at 1.8Ghz only get a 2800+ rating?

This is very mystifying to me. Maybe I should call my 3200+ a 3500+ because it has 1MB L2 cache.

Wait I think I remember hearing something about the ratings for a semprons being equivalent to celerons not A64 which are supposed to be the same as p4s. That would make more sense as we all know a 3000+ sempron will be slower then a 3000+ A64.

That was what I was thinking, as well.

Socket A Semprons have higher model numbers than their Athlon equivalents.. only explanation is the model number means something else. Maybe they're "officially" equivalent to Durons of that clockspeed ;)

I read anandtech's review last night.

About what I expected for the Socket A Semp...

I just wonder how they overclock...

Back