Semi-High End: Threw together some parts, anything that should/could be changed?

Rublings

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Difficult to say because I'm not in the US, and Norwegian prices are different, but you get an idea from the parts list
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Norway
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
MOBO, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, CPU cooler, SSD, Case.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Samsung EVO SSD 240
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p 120hz, upgrading to 1080p144hz, possibly 1440p144hz.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Nothing high-end, but I need SLI support and decent "overclockability".
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Have 64bit

The GPU and CPUcooler prices didnt pop up on PCPartPicker, so I just converted the Norwegian prices instead.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($96.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($87.12 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($143.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($875.00)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.13 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1816.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 18:29 EDT-0400

I tend to keep my PC for 5-6 years, so I like to have the opportunity of throwing a second 1080 in the PC if I ever feel the need to. In regards to that i have a couple of follow up questions:
  1. Do I need to get a 2-slot GPU if I'm planning on going SLI, or does modern SLI-certified boards allow this with 2.5-slot cards as well?
  2. Is my PSU powerfull enough for 1080 SLI, or should i get one with more juice?
Appreciate all the help I can get :)

I was told on another forum that if I plan to keep the system for 4-5 years at least, it might be more value to go for a X99 system. This means I have to sacrifice my 500GB SSD, but I already have a 240GB EVO and a 2Tb HDD, so it's not the end of the world.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($438.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($96.00)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($764.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1842.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-29 09:33 EDT-0400

Would this possibly be better in the long run?

I tend to keep my PC for 5-6 years, so I like to have the opportunity of throwing a second 1080 in the PC if I ever feel the need to. In regards to that i have a couple of follow up questions:
  1. Do I need to get a 2-slot GPU if I'm planning on going SLI, or does modern SLI-certified boards allow this with 2.5-slot cards as well?
  2. Is my PSU powerfull enough for 1080 SLI, or should i get one with more juice?
Appreciate all the help I can get :)
1) Yes and no: A lot of SLI certfiied motherboards aren't actually all that well suited for 2.5 slot cards actually. So it's largely dependent on your motherboard choice whether or not you need to stick with a two slot card. With that said, that MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard is perfect for 2.5 cards in SLI. However, the MSI X99A SLI Plus you later selected is terrible for 2.5 slot cards. But more on that in a bit.....

2) More than enough power. You don't really need more juice.

As for your other parts:

Really terrible for the money even here in the U.S. If you're looking for a high-end air cooling CPU cooler at whatever the cost, go for the Noctua NH-D15. Alternatively, if you want a bang for the buck air cooling HSF, the Reeven Justice 120mm, Scythe Ninja 4, or Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo are solid choices. If you want a bang for the buck high-endish liquid CPU cooler, I recommend getting the ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer 240 or Silverstone TD02-E. Your case choice will fit all of the coolers I've mentioned.

I was told on another forum that if I plan to keep the system for 4-5 years at least, it might be more value to go for a X99 system. This means I have to sacrifice my 500GB SSD, but I already have a 240GB EVO and a 2Tb HDD, so it's not the end of the world.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($764.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1842.06
Would this possibly be better in the long run?
Considering that Intel is currently hitting some major walls in getting more performance out of their CPUs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with the X99 setup. Unfortunately however, there's a few problems with going X99 in your situation: The X99A SLI Plus is terrible for a SLI setup since the placement of two of the video cards are right next to each other. Combined with the lack of side fans with your choice of case, you're looking at a potential overheating issue. The other problem is that not all X99 motherboards will support Broadwell-E out of the box. As such, you would have to borrow someone else' LGA 2011V3 CPU to upgrade the BIOS for those motherboards to support Broadwell-E. With that said, from testing at work, it seems that MSI motherboards will work with Broadwell-E CPUs right out of the box. Other Broadwell compatible motherboards are relatively new and still have some odd teething issues.

To solve both problems: Downgrade to the older and slightly slower Core i7 5820K CPU. As for the motherboard, I recommend going with the AsRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 Motherboard:
ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

1) Yes and no: A lot of SLI certfiied motherboards aren't actually all that well suited for 2.5 slot cards actually. So it's largely dependent on your motherboard choice whether or not you need to stick with a two slot card. With that said, that MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard is perfect for 2.5 cards in SLI. However, the MSI X99A SLI Plus you later selected is terrible for 2.5 slot cards. But more on that in a bit.....

2) More than enough power. You don't really need more juice.

As for your other parts:

Really terrible for the money even here in the U.S. If you're looking for a high-end air cooling CPU cooler at whatever the cost, go for the Noctua NH-D15. Alternatively, if you want a bang for the buck air cooling HSF, the Reeven Justice 120mm, Scythe Ninja 4, or Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo are solid choices. If you want a bang for the buck high-endish liquid CPU cooler, I recommend getting the ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer 240 or Silverstone TD02-E. Your case choice will fit all of the coolers I've mentioned.

Considering that Intel is currently hitting some major walls in getting more performance out of their CPUs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with the X99 setup. Unfortunately however, there's a few problems with going X99 in your situation: The X99A SLI Plus is terrible for a SLI setup since the placement of two of the video cards are right next to each other. Combined with the lack of side fans with your choice of case, you're looking at a potential overheating issue. The other problem is that not all X99 motherboards will support Broadwell-E out of the box. As such, you would have to borrow someone else' LGA 2011V3 CPU to upgrade the BIOS for those motherboards to support Broadwell-E. With that said, from testing at work, it seems that MSI motherboards will work with Broadwell-E CPUs right out of the box. Other Broadwell compatible motherboards are relatively new and still have some odd teething issues.

To solve both problems: Downgrade to the older and slightly slower Core i7 5820K CPU. As for the motherboard, I recommend going with the AsRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 Motherboard:
ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Thanks for the lenght answer man, really appreciate it. Unfortunately I already purchased my system yesterday. This is what i ended up with

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card
Total: $1147.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 04:33 EDT-0400

Now, it wont sent until tomorrow, so there is still time to change the order.

1. As you can see, I ended up with a pretty slim 2-slot card. Don't think it will be much of an issue anymore.
2. Good to know!

Cooler - Is it really that bad? According to reviews it's done quite well, and I can't do the beige-brown on the noctua fans. The only cooler you mentioned thats available in Norway is the Hyper 212, and I would guess that would be a bit underwhelming?
X99 - Luckily I found someone who has built an almost identical system on Pcpartpicker, and the compability wasn't mentioned, so I'm hoping that's fine.
I also found this picture:
174076.bad8d26b39d80118b8498c5a93a97340.e6249b8041ff58587c3791c26da9f778.1600.jpg

Has the exact case, cooler and almost the same GPU. In this picture it doesn't look like it would be an issue running an SLI setup with slot 1 and 5. Maybe the bottom card would choke a bit more than the top, but the fans in the front seem to be able to help the GPUs a fair bit.

Any thoughts?

Back