Sell CF 6950's and get 79xx? Or keep them? Opinions wanted

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Im curious for your opinions on my upcoming dilemma. My plan with Ivy-Bridge/SB-E is to build a high end brand new system. So the equivalent of a build in this current generation like a i7 2600K, 4x SLI/CFX gaming mobo, SSD, DDR3, maybe PCI-E 3.0. I currently have two 6950's (see sig for details) and last time i checked, they still sell for $230+.

With what you have seen of the 7970 and rumors/info leaked (etc) about the rest of the 79xx's cards, what are your thoughts on if in my position would you be preparing sell your 6950's and with the $400+ buy a single card solution that i assume would be better performing than Crossfired 6950's and use less power/create less heat?

Or stick with the crossfired 6950's until say Nvidia releases their new generation and try to find
the best bang for buck, then selling the 6950's for probably <$400?

1/14/12 Update: I would still love some more opinions on this. Does anyone own a 7970 that owned a 6950 2Gb crossfired? Or maybe even just a single 6950 2Gb? Was it worth it? Does anyone know of any 1080P benchmarks with CF 6950's put up against a 7970?

Basically what i fear, is i sell both for ...lets say $450, i then spend another $100 ontop of that $450 to get the 7970. I then use the card for gaming and am disappointed, the performance not up to pair with my Crossfired setup, and ontop of that i had to pay $100 more for less performance.

However IF i get equal performance, or best case scenario i get a increase in performance, i would say $100 isnt to bad to pay for a single card solution, less heat/power consumption, and the possibility of going CF again down the road when the 7970's price has dropped.

Last edited:
they sell for $230+ used?

If so, that is good. I see you have unlocked XFX which is pretty desirable. Most people check benchmarks but too many don't consider resale value. Yours are good. I would consider selling them. Are you OK with crossfire? How about two new gen, like 7850, instead of one 7970?

It would be good if you have a back up card like a 6850. I've seen those as low as $105. Then you could take your time to decide. The backup card will likely lose very little value (or maybe none) while you decide.

Yeah my cards are the most desired and came with double lifetime warranties so that makes them even more-so.

Well from what i have read, it is always better and worth it to get a one card solution over any 2 card solution. I am a big time gamer on PC, and two card solutions means more heat, more noise, and most importantly, it means more problems (in terms of tweaking visuals in games and sometimes CF/SLI isnt even worth it in terms of scaling).

I am not familiar with the 7850, i dont know much about the new 7xxx series line. I guess i am also asking if i have $500 to spend and the new 7xxx series is out, what card is the "one card solution" to buy? That performs better than two 6950 crossfired.

I have a GTS-250 as a backup card. Or at least to say it isnt in any PC and can play my games on low.

I would still love some more opinions on this. Does anyone own a 7970 that owned a 6950 2Gb crossfired? Or maybe even just a single 6950 2Gb? Was it worth it? Does anyone know of any 1080P benchmarks with CF 6950's put up against a 7970?

Basically what i fear, is i sell both for ...lets say $450, i then spend another $100 ontop of that $450 to get the 7970. I then use the card for gaming and am disappointed, the performance not up to pair with my Crossfired setup, and ontop of that i had to pay $100 more for less performance.

However IF i get equal performance, or best case scenario i get a increase in performance, i would say $100 isnt to bad to pay for a single card solution, less heat/power consumption, and the possibility of going CF again down the road when the 7970's price has dropped.

Sell them now before they lose even more value with the release of the rest of the 7XXX series cards.

I'm coming from xfire 6950. You won't be disappointed. It's the same framerates with a single card.

I am not going to.. just no point honestly.
Why the stick up your ass? I need help making this decision..its not like the decision is over $10 USB cables...this is $100's of dollars worth of hardware i am deciding on.

Sell them now before they lose even more value with the release of the rest of the 7XXX series cards.
Good point. One sentence isnt really going to convince me though...

Is having a conversation about this that hard? I am currently reading a 7 page thread on basically the same thing (but off enough that i started this thread a few days ago)...

No one thats owns a 7970 owned a 6950 2Gb? Or a crossfired setup of those cards? Thats hard to believe...
There are no 6950 CF vs 7970 benchmarks out there?

I'm coming from xfire 6950. You won't be disappointed. It's the same framerates with a single card.
Ok thank you! That is great to hear. Hearing that (especially more than once) is definitely pushing me in the direction of getting a 7970. If i may ask, what do you think of the fan noise (louder than the 6950s at load?)? What brand did you choose to get? My 6950's are XFX lifetime warranty but i saw XFX is now two year warranty on the 7970's, however XFX is the only company that has the dual fan setup, which seems to cool better and keep quieter from what iv heard (those that have owned other cards with fans like that).
(When i make my new built i plan on putting it on a tech bench, so no case walls, so no need for directional (out the back only) fan setup on the GPU like reference cards have. Hence the XFX dual fan setup looking nice)

Last edited:
Just to chime in. Came from xfire 6950s unlocked on a 20-30-20 PLP gaming on the center at 2560x1600. Swapped to 2x7970s. Honestly debating whether I'm going to keep the second just bc of how well the 7970 performs, and not sure if the second is quite worth it to me right now. With a reasonable oc the 7970 is simpler and as good a performer as the 6s xfire.

I just sold my water cooler 6950's and am getting a 7970 hopefully by Sunday night. I don't know if I'll get exactly the same performance. In reviews, the 7970 beat the 6990 in a few and lost to the 6990 in some, depending... So even of its not the same, it'll have great overclocking potential from what everyone else here is saying. I plan on watercooling the 7970 soon, to take away noise worries. Atleast it'll be a fun and new tinkering.

Just to chime in. Came from xfire 6950s unlocked on a 20-30-20 PLP gaming on the center at 2560x1600. Swapped to 2x7970s. Honestly debating whether I'm going to keep the second just bc of how well the 7970 performs, and not sure if the second is quite worth it to me right now. With a reasonable oc the 7970 is simpler and as good a performer as the 6s xfire.

So even one 7970 is performing up to your standards at 2560x1600 3 monitor setup? Wow. Considering im a one screen at 1920x1080, i would think it would be even more so acceptable (one 7970 from CF'ed 6950's). Ironic is i havent even tried crossfire yet with my second 6950. My friend is borrowing it, besides the once in a while drop below 30FPS in Skyrim/BF3, i love my single 6950. Hopefully il get to experience them both with CF before i sell both for a 7970 lol.

I just sold my water cooler 6950's and am getting a 7970 hopefully by Sunday night. I don't know if I'll get exactly the same performance. In reviews, the 7970 beat the 6990 in a few and lost to the 6990 in some, depending... So even of its not the same, it'll have great overclocking potential from what everyone else here is saying. I plan on watercooling the 7970 soon, to take away noise worries. Atleast it'll be a fun and new tinkering.

Awesome. Ya i forgot the 6990 is two 6970's, which are just a smidge more powerful than two 6950's (2Gb, unlock shaders). Any opinions on the XFX dual fan card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586 $50 more but you get the diff fan setup which like i mentioned, is supposedly more efficient in turn quieter. Also i believe its OC'ed by manufacturer.

Sorry, didn't know it was my job to convince you. I'll try and do better next time. Although I'm not sure what more I could have said than YOUR OLD CARDS ARE ONLY GETTING OLDER AND WILL THEREFORE LOSE VALUE, ESPECIALLY WHEN NEWER CARDS WITH BETTER RELATIVE PERFORMANCE FOR THE DOLLAR DEBUT.

Geez, I mean, seriously, you ask question on a forum, you get a simple straightforward answer, then bitch that someone didn't spend enough time holding your hand. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to make your little comment, but your time would most certainly be better spent using search/google instead of whining about short answers.

I came from a 6950 Crossfired setup to my Diamond 7970 and so far it's been great. The decision for me was pretty easy as I really didn't like the noise or heat from the crossfire setup and the one card solution is a better fit for me. BF3 has played a lot smoother for me and the performance has met my expecations so far.

I don't think you can go wrong with the switch as one card is always going to be easier to deal with than 2 cards. I had MAJOR issues with crossfire in BF3 when it first came out and now I hopefully won't have to deal with it. I didn't get a premo overclocking card that can run 1125/1525 on stock volts, but I'm pretty darn close. Only you can decide if it's really worth it....but from my experiecnce I say go for!!!!

Sorry, didn't know it was my job to convince you. I'll try and do better next time. Although I'm not sure what more I could have said than YOUR OLD CARDS ARE ONLY GETTING OLDER AND WILL THEREFORE LOSE VALUE, ESPECIALLY WHEN NEWER CARDS WITH BETTER RELATIVE PERFORMANCE FOR THE DOLLAR DEBUT.

Geez, I mean, seriously, you ask question on a forum, you get a simple straightforward answer, then bitch that someone didn't spend enough time holding your hand. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to make your little comment, but your time would most certainly be better spent using search/google instead of whining about short answers.

Like you said, its a FORUM, that means you go to a group of people and get information from them, opinions, facts, rumors etc. Why go to Google when i can post a thread and super experienced people that i trust will give me answers within 20 minutes that out-weigh basically anything i could find on Google?
I asked a question on a forum, you didnt have to answer it. I asked for more because like i said, its not some little bit of money i am making a decision on. Maybe your rich so it doesnt matter to you, but i am not, and making a decision on $500 worth of video cards, to buy a single $600 card is a big deal. Probing on a FORUM (Definition: "an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.") So a place to DISCUSS. Take for example the amazing reply i got from DillnutMcGee.

I came from a 6950 Crossfired setup to my Diamond 7970 and so far it's been great. The decision for me was pretty easy as I really didn't like the noise or heat from the crossfire setup and the one card solution is a better fit for me. BF3 has played a lot smoother for me and the performance has met my expecations so far.

I don't think you can go wrong with the switch as one card is always going to be easier to deal with than 2 cards. I had MAJOR issues with crossfire in BF3 when it first came out and now I hopefully won't have to deal with it. I didn't get a premo overclocking card that can run 1125/1525 on stock volts, but I'm pretty darn close. Only you can decide if it's really worth it....but from my experiecnce I say go for!!!!

Wow this is perfect to hear. Especially considering i play BF3 a LOT and like i mentioned, havent used my CF setup yet so for all i know, i would experience issues as well. What do you mean premo over clocking card? (All i know is there are a bunch of regular 7970s, and one XFX one that is manufacturer OC'ed)

As far as premo cards, I was just referring to the people that can hit the 1125/1525 overclock on stock volts. Thats a 20% overclock and some can do it at stock and some cant. Its really luck of the draw. I like my reference card as it blows the hot air out the back of my case. The XFX Oc card will blow the hot air back into the case...may not be a big deal if you have good air flow, but its definitely something to consider.

As far as premo cards, I was just referring to the people that can hit the 1125/1525 overclock on stock volts. Thats a 20% overclock and some can do it at stock and some cant. Its really luck of the draw. I like my reference card as it blows the hot air out the back of my case. The XFX Oc card will blow the hot air back into the case...may not be a big deal if you have good air flow, but its definitely something to consider.

Oh ok, that makes total sense. Oh ya, its cause my new PC rig is going to be on a tech bench, so there will be no case, it will be fully exposed , so no point in it blowing in any direction except directly onto the card like the XFX OC card does.

I don't have 2x6950 but I'm running 2x6970 and I'll sell them to get a non-reference 7970 as soon as it's available. From what I heard is convincing enough for me to do the swapping.

Why the stick up your ass? I need help making this decision..its not like the decision is over $10 USB cables...this is $100's of dollars worth of hardware i am deciding on.

Good point. One sentence isnt really going to convince me though...

Is having a conversation about this that hard? I am currently reading a 7 page thread on basically the same thing (but off enough that i started this thread a few days ago)...

)

wow -- so someone takes the time and offers their input and you say they have a stick up their ass? wtf is wrong with you? This isn't a soap opera, or "The View" it's a bunch of [H]ard guys (no homo) who love hardware. None of us owe you a long winded opinion. If someone doesnt want to write you a 3 page essay complete with pictures and graphs you sir need to accept it and kindly fuck off.

I came in here because I too am running a single 6950 2GB and am quite excited in the coming month about picking up another XFX 6950 2GB for CFX. Gaming at 1920X1080p on a single monitor just isnt worth blowing 600 dollars.

The simple fact is every day that goes buy your old 6950's get older. Either sell them now or sell them 6 months from now for 100 dollars less, it makes no difference to any of us, it's all simple economics. Judging by your attitude and language it sounds to me like you have already made the decision and now you just want validation. There is no room on the internet for validation, son :rolleyes:

Ok thank you! That is great to hear. Hearing that (especially more than once) is definitely pushing me in the direction of getting a 7970. If i may ask, what do you think of the fan noise (louder than the 6950s at load?)? What brand did you choose to get? My 6950's are XFX lifetime warranty but i saw XFX is now two year warranty on the 7970's, however XFX is the only company that has the dual fan setup, which seems to cool better and keep quieter from what iv heard (those that have owned other cards with fans like that).
(When i make my new built i plan on putting it on a tech bench, so no case walls, so no need for directional (out the back only) fan setup on the GPU like reference cards have. Hence the XFX dual fan setup looking nice)

I had Sapphire Dirt 3 edition 6950s. They didn't unlock to 6970s but they were great cards for Crossfire. I did see some microstutter but that doesn't show up unless your at 30 fps or lower. Obviously with a single card, 30 fps. runs much better. They had dual fans and a decent heatsink; I saw temps like 70-75c under load.

I've heard some bad stuff about XFX. I remember when it was first announced that XFX was going ATi. This forum had a collective orgasm over the prospect. They complained about Sapphire support, which I never had a problem with. And now they are complaining about XFX.

There are no 6950 CF vs 7970 benchmarks out there?

Here is my mini-review on the subject. As you can see, it's just about dead even. Whatever small framerate advantage 6950 xfire has over a single 7970 is made up with higher minimum framerates, smoother framerates, less power draw and such. I don't feel like i've lost anything going with a 7970 and gained a better experience.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665100

wow -- so someone takes the time and offers their input and you say they have a stick up their ass? wtf is wrong with you? This isn't a soap opera, or "The View" it's a bunch of [H]ard guys (no homo) who love hardware. None of us owe you a long winded opinion. If someone doesnt want to write you a 3 page essay complete with pictures and graphs you sir need to accept it and kindly fuck off.

I came in here because I too am running a single 6950 2GB and am quite excited in the coming month about picking up another XFX 6950 2GB for CFX. Gaming at 1920X1080p on a single monitor just isnt worth blowing 600 dollars.

The simple fact is every day that goes buy your old 6950's get older. Either sell them now or sell them 6 months from now for 100 dollars less, it makes no difference to any of us, it's all simple economics. Judging by your attitude and language it sounds to me like you have already made the decision and now you just want validation. There is no room on the internet for validation, son :rolleyes:

Takes the time? Offers input? Actually read the thread before YOU comment. The one that i said has a stick up their ass only ever said "I am not going to.. just no point honestly." Thats ALL the person said. So they read my first post about needing help, about something i have NOT made a decision for yet, and they took the time (about 5 seconds) to be a Dbag. I never asked for a 3 page answer with pictures and charts, the answers i am getting (for example, spacin9's comment) are amazing and perfect, and have me on the edge of going with the 7970. But questions still pop up in my head to ask.
True [H] guys like the majority that have replied in this thread, put ego aside and read my first post, if they have advice or a opinion or any experience on the topic, they reply because like you said, they are great guys, and they help me out because a forum is just that..a bunch of people helping each other out. But "I am not going to.. just no point honestly." isnt helping.

I had Sapphire Dirt 3 edition 6950s. They didn't unlock to 6970s but they were great cards for Crossfire. I did see some microstutter but that doesn't show up unless your at 30 fps or lower. Obviously with a single card, 30 fps. runs much better. They had dual fans and a decent heatsink; I saw temps like 70-75c under load.

I've heard some bad stuff about XFX. I remember when it was first announced that XFX was going ATi. This forum had a collective orgasm over the prospect. They complained about Sapphire support, which I never had a problem with. And now they are complaining about XFX.

Here is my mini-review on the subject. As you can see, it's just about dead even. Whatever small framerate advantage 6950 xfire has over a single 7970 is made up with higher minimum framerates, smoother framerates, less power draw and such. I don't feel like i've lost anything going with a 7970 and gained a better experience.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665100

Thank you! Thats something to consider (XFX customer service) because its possible i would have to deal with them if i got the dual fan card, apparently XFX's quality control isnt so good so people on newegg reporting the fan blades issues and fans not being screwed on right etc. Though technically i know you'd call newegg first for that, to get a RMA.

iTravis: Why are you waiting specifically for a non reference card? Because they might be cheaper or because their fan setups change or what?

Several reasons: I'm still waiting for the 7950 to come out by the end of this month, since I might get a pair to replace my 2x6970 to make it a worthy upgrade. There are rumors say Kepler might be out by then and even though I'm still skeptical it doesn't hurt to wait for a few weeks. Also, non reference card won't be cheaper, they'll be more expensive due to manufacturers make their own custom PCB, cooler....Overall a better card compare to the reference one, allow more OC headroom, more efficient, better fan/cooler to reduce noise and heat, etc...So I'd rather pay the extra to make it worth the upgrade than just going from 2x6970 to a reference 7970. I don't think my 6970s will lose that much value over the next few weeks as I'll have more options to decide. Hopefully the driver will be much more mature by then as well. ;)

Several reasons: I'm still waiting for the 7950 to come out by the end of this month, since I might get a pair to replace my 2x6970 to make it a worthy upgrade. There are rumors say Kepler might be out by then and even though I'm still skeptical it doesn't hurt to wait for a few weeks. Also, non reference card won't be cheaper, they'll be more expensive due to manufacturers make their own custom PCB, cooler....Overall a better card compare to the reference one, allow more OC headroom, more efficient, better fan/cooler to reduce noise and heat, etc...So I'd rather pay the extra to make it worth the upgrade than just going from 2x6970 to a reference 7970. I don't think my 6970s will lose that much value over the next few weeks as I'll have more options to decide. Hopefully the driver will be much more mature by then as well. ;)

Interesting, i had always assumed the non reference was worse because the reference was from AMD so they designed it to a higher standard, then the companies try to make the cards as cheap to produce as possible, messing with that high standard. But like i said that was always a assumption, one i have now changed.

Ya right this second seems like a bad time to buy, i really want to know about the whole line of the 7xxx series, and if there is a price and performance difference between the 7970 and 7950 like there is with my 6950 and your 6970 (aka not much more performance for a much higher price) then i would rather go with a 7950.

Sorry but i dont really know what that means. I will assume you mean the comment you quoted is THE answer to my dilemma. However i would have to disagree. I get that i am on 1 monitor at 1080P, but i have one 6950, and it can dip below 30FPS to unplayable territory in BF3 and Skyrim, so what do you do? Buy another for Xfire, then solving that problem with 60FPS constant or higher. However how much does two 6950's cost? $500. So i already have a $500 graphic card solution to have playable frame rates at 1080P on one monitor. What is selling them and buying a $600 card (so $100 out of pocket) to get the same performance from the 2 cards?

I sold my pair of 6970's and picked up a 7970 yestrday... Im glad I did. It is for a single monitor, but, single GPU with the strength of two 69XX cards? I think it was wroth it.

And when I get my GPU block and can OC even higher..... :)

I sold 2 of my 6970 powercolor PCS cards (kept 1) I got $275 on eBay, most 6950s are going for $200/$225 I would sell them and upgrade before you lose more of it's value. When the 7950 comes out they will probably drive their price down.

I sold 2 of my 6970 powercolor PCS cards (kept 1) I got $275 on eBay, most 6950s are going for $200/$225 I would sell them and upgrade before you lose more of it's value. When the 7950 comes out they will probably drive their price down.

When did you sell your cards? Just recently?

My current setup is my first foray into crossfire, and while the performance has been great, I'm finding myself drawn back to a single-card setup.

I just hope I can unload my cards fairly soon.

I sold mine last Tuesday, i put them on a 5 day auction, I had 50 watchers and over 20 bids. I think most of the watchers were owners looking to see what I got.

The rest of your computer is getting a little long in the tooth, don't forget that.

The rest of your computer is getting a little long in the tooth, don't forget that.

Yeah, plan is to build a whole new rig. But it will be Ivy Bridge so around April, which i think is around when the 7950 will be out, which i dont know if i want to buy, but it seems from the replies here, its smarter to wait till the 7970 is in non reference, and the 7950 is out to see its price/performance compared to the 7970.

wait for some of the tweaked 7970's to come out - that's what i'm doing

i bet MSI's lightning variant will be impressive based on what they did with the 6970. with the overclocking power of the 7970 i bet the results will be worth waiting for

wait for some of the tweaked 7970's to come out - that's what i'm doing

i bet MSI's lightning variant will be impressive based on what they did with the 6970. with the overclocking power of the 7970 i bet the results will be worth waiting for

Thought provoking advice, thank you. Definitely convinced to wait and see either what non reference designs bring to the table or until 7950 come out and how those perform/cost. Anyone have a clue when those are rumored to release or officially be announced? (aka specs/ reviews).

Thought provoking advice, thank you. Definitely convinced to wait and see either what non reference designs bring to the table or until 7950 come out and how those perform/cost. Anyone have a clue when those are rumored to release or officially be announced? (aka specs/ reviews).

well MSI had a 7970 at CES, but it wasn't the lightning version
however, it didn't take too long for them to get the lightning 6970 out after release, so i don't think the 7970 will be any different

well MSI had a 7970 at CES, but it wasn't the lightning version
however, it didn't take too long for them to get the lightning 6970 out after release, so i don't think the 7970 will be any different

Good to know about that one too, but i was asking about the 7950. If the difference in performance and price is anything like the 6950 and 6970 are, (a huge price difference for a small performance difference) i would rather get two 7950's.

Good to know about that one too, but i was asking about the 7950. If the difference in performance and price is anything like the 6950 and 6970 are, (a huge price difference for a small performance difference) i would rather get two 7950's.

I'm not sure we'll see quite the same situation with these as the 6s, for a variety of reasons. From the much different headroom in the new process, to the fact that amd may have wisened up and started to disable shader unlocks, etc.

Well, I skipped the 6xxx series, but I was using a 5970, which was a dual gpu - single card solution to drive 3x 1920x1200. I went with an XFX 7970 BEDD and it was an upgrade.

I didn't upgrade to the 6950s or 6970s because there wasn't enough improvement for the cost, while the 7970 gave me a single card, same power usage, and better performance. That's at 5760x1200.
I'm happy with my decision.

I came from 5870cf to 7970cf and im in the same boat, the 6950s and 5870s are pretty evenly matched. The one 7970 I can oc well plays bf3 noticeably better than my 5870s stock cf, there's no need for a second one. At stock, a single 7970 feels just as good as 5870 cf, though the measured fps is higher w/ 5870 cf the actual gameplay in bf3 is nearly identical.

edit - I'm also at 2560x1600, any less than that and a single stock 7970 will definitely rock your world, hands down.

edit - I'm also at 2560x1600, any less than that and a single stock 7970 will definitely rock your world, hands down.

Yea, I have no problem recommending swapping out to a 7970 for a couple friends who are gaming at 1920x1080/1200 on xfire'd 6950's. No potential for any crossfire issues, better performance, less power draw...Its really a win-win for minimal cost

I swapped out my unlocked MSI 6950's for a pair of 7970's. If my choice were a pair of 6950's or a single 7970 I probably would have kept the 6950's.

Originally Posted by collegeboy69us View Post
Gaming at 1920X1080p on a single monitor just isnt worth blowing 600 dollars.

Try running Stalker Clear Sky with everything maxed out. Still running just 30 FPS @ 1920 x 1080 with an HD 7970.

Metro 2033 dips into the 30s also.

There is NO SUCH THING as overkill.

Back