Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40"/ SM32UNP 30"4K LED Monitors

Anyone tested input lag yet?

I just did the clock test, on this display, and my laptop's display...out of about 10-15 tests... highest was 51ms, and lowest was 31. Took photos at 1/2000" at 1600iso.

Not sure how scientific that is.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered one last night from Amazon, paid the $10 for Saturday delivery. Kinda excited. And one good thing about huge displays as monitors, my current 39" Seiki will now live on as a TV in the bedroom. Can't argue with value like that.

Ordered one last night from Amazon, paid the $10 for Saturday delivery. Kinda excited. And one good thing about huge displays as monitors, my current 39" Seiki will now live on as a TV in the bedroom. Can't argue with value like that.

That's exactly what I did.

Appreciate that, and glad it solved your resolution issues.

Now, if someone could address the 6-bit/8-bit issue I could come closer to making a decision. Hopefully some reviews of this thing surface soon.

I tried this test:
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00GkGu

Not sure how accurate it is. I see no dithering. Do you know of any other tests?

Just did this:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-s-dithering-technique-pictures-included.html

I can see a very slight line down the middle, not so much a line but an edge between the two sides... Both images look teh same. Not sure if this helps at all.

Last edited:
I tried this test:
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00GkGu

Not sure how accurate it is. I see no dithering. Do you know of any other tests?

Just did this:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-s-dithering-technique-pictures-included.html

I can see a very slight line down the middle, not so much a line but an edge between the two sides... Both images look teh same. Not sure if this helps at all.

I have this monitor and did this test (the bottom one with the gif) on my Macbook Air and then my PC with the Seiki. The Seiki shows uniformity while the MBA was obviously flashing on the right sides.

Re: lag - I am coming from a Dell 2407WFP and it's about the same, maybe better, but definitely no worse. Might look up the lag of that screen to get a ballpark.

Overall, I really like this thing. It is HUGE and has taken a full week of using it to get over being slightly overwhelmed by the size. The colors are pretty nice; comparable to the monitor it replaced, which I thought had rich colors and good blacks. I don't notice any dead pixels and the backlight uniformity seems good overall; nothing noticeably glaring.

I had the Philips on pre-order and saw this thing pop up last Friday and had it over-nighted. Yesterday, I cancelled my Philips order even though I was going to get it as well to compare. A week of constant use has convinced me to not deal with the hassle (wasn't going to keep both) because I think so highly of the one I have now.

Sorry...Got home and now I realize that it doesn't come with the USB cable. I doubt I'll ever buy one since I don't have much use for the hub.

I'll try my usb hub tonight.

Another question for those who have this display:

Does it have a pixel orbiting feature like the Philips BDM4065UC?

Another question for those who have this display:

Does it have a pixel orbiting feature like the Philips BDM4065UC?

Don't know what that is. How would I check that?

On another note: I restarted computer for a non-display related something and was greeted with a 4k@30hz OSD message when Windows booted back up. Utterly awful performance just dragging the mouse around. To fix it, I didn't unplug the DisplayPort cable, but instead changed the DP 1.2 to DP 1.1 and back again to DP 1.2 in the menu and that allowed me the 60Hz option in the Windows display settings.

This alone made me aware of how shitty/finicky the menu buttons function on this screen. The "buttons" on this aren't buttons at all, but touch sensors where there is no type of physical feedback and you don't even need to make physical contact to trigger them. The Philips joystick-style menu controls will prove superior, no doubt. I spent 25% of the time figuring out that I'd overshot an option I was looking for because the darn thing is so sensitive (unless it decides it isn't sensitive). This also comes into play when finding the option, say brightness, and it goes from 30 to 90 in 2 seconds when what you're trying to do is bump it up 5 at a time.

^ thank you, plifzig. You just saved me from purchasing the Seiki instead of waiting on the Philips. I HATE cheap touch OSD bullshit...

^ thank you, plifzig. You just saved me from purchasing the Seiki instead of waiting on the Philips. I HATE cheap touch OSD bullshit...

I'll keep this one, but it is what it is. Poor controls, but otherwise a good monitor. Glad to be of service :D

Seiki, take note. I know you're out there watching. When fingers are involved, tactile feedback trumps all unless you're looking at a phone. It's a cat and mouse game with the menu on this monitor.

I'm sure its not as good as the Philips osd, but I've never understood why people care that much about that kind if thing. On a monitor you typically set it once and then never touch it again.

srphoenix, this would be true if this were a single-input Korean monitor, but there are many instances when I have to deal with OSD on my current monitor (34UM95 until the Philips is shipped by Amazon).

I admit the hardware calibration is usually a once-a-quarter thing (first-time setup for most users, if at all), but some examples of "everyday" OSD adventures:

1) Dealing with PIP/PBP
2) Changing between devices
3) Probably the most used for me: HARDWARE VOLUME CONTROL (sorry, but my desk doesn't have space for an AVR that won't even work with Displayport).
4) The Seiki has a known issue where it auto-switches between active inputs. If one connection is disconnected/turned off, it automatically fails over to the next active connection. This would be another everyday situation where yes, you do need to deal with the shitty touch OSD they've implemented.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but it's certainly a deal breaker for me. I've had to deal with touch OSD buttons when using low end TVs whose remotes are missing, and it's REALLY annoying when you're pressing the buttons and they decide not to respond except when they want to go into TURBO mode. It gets worse if you're working in dimly lit situations and forgot the button layout -_-

Last edited:
I'm sure its not as good as the Philips osd, but I've never understood why people care that much about that kind if thing. On a monitor you typically set it once and then never touch it again.

I'm with you on that one - zero dead pixels is my concern , the OSD can be a puzzle for all I care. I get for some that's is important but I don't change inputs on my desktop monitors ever.

Don't know what that is. How would I check that?

On another note: I restarted computer for a non-display related something and was greeted with a 4k@30hz OSD message when Windows booted back up. Utterly awful performance just dragging the mouse around. To fix it, I didn't unplug the DisplayPort cable, but instead changed the DP 1.2 to DP 1.1 and back again to DP 1.2 in the menu and that allowed me the 60Hz option in the Windows display settings.

This alone made me aware of how shitty/finicky the menu buttons function on this screen. The "buttons" on this aren't buttons at all, but touch sensors where there is no type of physical feedback and you don't even need to make physical contact to trigger them. The Philips joystick-style menu controls will prove superior, no doubt. I spent 25% of the time figuring out that I'd overshot an option I was looking for because the darn thing is so sensitive (unless it decides it isn't sensitive). This also comes into play when finding the option, say brightness, and it goes from 30 to 90 in 2 seconds when what you're trying to do is bump it up 5 at a time.

srphoenix, this would be true if this were a single-input Korean monitor, but there are many instances when I have to deal with OSD on my current monitor (34UM95 until the Philips is shipped by Amazon).

I admit the hardware calibration is usually a once-a-quarter thing (first-time setup for most users, if at all), but some examples of "everyday" OSD adventures:

1) Dealing with PIP/PBP
2) Changing between devices
3) Probably the most used for me: HARDWARE VOLUME CONTROL (sorry, but my desk doesn't have space for an AVR that won't even work with Displayport).
4) The Seiki has a known issue where it auto-switches between active inputs. If one connection is disconnected/turned off, it automatically fails over to the next active connection. This would be another everyday situation where yes, you do need to deal with the shitty touch OSD they've implemented.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but it's certainly a deal breaker for me. I've had to deal with touch OSD buttons when using low end TVs whose remotes are missing, and it's REALLY annoying when you're pressing the buttons and they decide not to respond except when they want to go into TURBO mode. It gets worse if you're working in dimly lit situations and forgot the button layout -_-

I agree with all of this. Touch buttons on TVs/Monitors are terrible.
I will be switching quite often between PC, Mac and HTPC.

Anyone consider this vs the Panasonic 40" vs the Samsung 40/48" thread?

Yes, and the Samsung has won the battle for my personal choice it seems.

The verified 4k@60Hz with 4:4:4, combined with just 21ms lag, combined with a 48" size option, combined with the reviews on the curved effect for PC gaming, all for around a thousand bucks, sealed the easy win.

Amazing how we looked forward to this Seiki line for months, only to have it become a distant memory in just a few days...

Just glad to have so many great few options now, good stuff.

The verified 4k@60Hz with 4:4:4, combined with just 21ms lag, combined with a 48" size option, combined with the reviews on the curved effect for PC gaming, all for around a thousand bucks, sealed the easy win.

Amazing how we looked forward to this Seiki line for months, only to have it become a distant memory in just a few days...

Thanks a lot, since I'm seriously considering returning the Acer 32" 4k B326hk and getting the 48" Samsung.

I read it has 3d (movies/pc connection), 4:4:4 only one small dog side is the 21ms vs my average <10ms.

In the scheme of things this seems a small sacrifice.

FWIW, I just did a shutdown to install some hard drives and it came back up at 60Hz just fine. Using the DP cable that came with the monitor.

Gaming on this thing is great at full resolution and I'm driving it with one 780Ti and haven't adjusted any settings from my previous 1920x1200 settings. Granted, they aren't real graphically intensive (D3, Dota2, Awesomenauts so far). Will get into ARMA 3 tonight or tomorrow to see how that goes.

Anyone consider this vs the Panasonic 40" vs the Samsung 40/48" thread?

Which Panasonic are you referring to, and does it do 4:4:4? I like Panasonic products but I'm not aware of any of their TVs that are go-to options for PC gamers right now (based on my limited research).

Which Samsung, exactly? Can you link to this verification, as I know many people have been waiting on confirmation of 4:4:4. Which series is it? Seems like there were several options between their 6xxx and 7xxx lines.

edit: Are you referring to this thread?

Thanks! Definitely good to have more options but hopefully there is something in 40"-42" flavor because I'm almost certain that 48" is too large for me (40" was pushing it as is!).

Last edited:
Which Panasonic are you referring to, and does it do 4:4:4? I like Panasonic products but I'm not aware of any of their TVs that are go-to options for PC gamers right now (based on my limited research).

Which Samsung, exactly? Can you link to this verification, as I know many people have been waiting on confirmation of 4:4:4. Which series is it? Seems like there were several options between their 6xxx and 7xxx lines.

edit: Are you referring to this thread?

Thanks! Definitely good to have more options but hopefully there is something in 40"-42" flavor because I'm almost certain that 48" is too large for me (40" was pushing it as is!).

Wondering if one of those samsung tvs can replace my 32" 4k acer B326HK

Wondering if one of those samsung tvs can replace my 32" 4k acer B326HK

From what I've read so far, I would say absolutely yes. They seem very promising. If text is as crisp as on the Philips/Seiki and input lag is comparable to a PC monitor, these could be a rather amazing find.

The main thing that sets them apart IMO is the fact that you can get them in a curved version. After using both flat and curved 34" ultrawide monitors I can definitely see the benefit of having the curve, particularly on a larger panel. One of the main complaints of the Philips 40" was the off-angle color shift present in the corners when not sitting far away from the screen. I think having the curve may reduce or eliminate that effect - not to mention making gaming a more immersive experience.

For non gamers who are only worried about productivity, the flat Samsungs provide similar image quality for less money than their curved brethren.

Yeah only if you have a card with HDMI 2.0. I have xfired 290xs so display port is the only option for me.

Yeah only if you have a card with HDMI 2.0. I have xfired 290xs so display port is the only option for me.

That's a good point, and one worth noting as many people don't realize the importance of having a card with HDMI 2.0 if you plan on running 4K without DisplayPort.

That's why I asked about the Panasonic that dpoverlord mentioned, since I think they are one of the few TV manufacturers that include DisplayPort but I don't know how their offerings fare as PC monitors. I suspect there is some info over at AVS forum but it would be nice to see if there are any viable options from Panny and LG.

I certainly wouldnt mind the flexibility to use HDMI 2.0 but the price of the 290x's for the performance wins out in my mind (different topic for a different thread). I think I would like the curved part of the Samsung but other than that the seiki really is perfect for me and I'd pick it over the Philips. I can't think of any big killer drawback.

I'm hoping someone posts a professional review soon though so I can get some calibration specs to try out.

Well I just cancelled my Phillips order, and when I tried to order the Seiki this is what I got from Amazon's website:

"Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Just my luck! hahahahah

Last edited:
Return rate is probably too high. Might not mean one specific issue but could be a range of issues that people experience. Could be simply that lots of people used the included dp cable which apparently sucks and they return the monitor instead of replacing the cable. Or it could be that seiki just has piss poor quality control and a range defects get out.

A vizio tv I bought had that same message on amazon, I ended up returning it 3 times all for different problems with the tv.

Well I just cancelled my Phillips order, and when I tried to order the Seiki this is what I got from Amazon's website:

"Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Just my luck! hahahahah

I canceled both the Phillips and Seiki. It's likely they are using the same panel which I'm not a fan of.

Return rate is probably too high. Might not mean one specific issue but could be a range of issues that people experience. Could be simply that lots of people used the included dp cable which apparently sucks and they return the monitor instead of replacing the cable. Or it could be that seiki just has piss poor quality control and a range defects get out.

A vizio tv I bought had that same message on amazon, I ended up returning it 3 times all for different problems with the tv.

I have the panel in front of me and haven't had any issues yet, but got worried when I saw this posted. I called Amazon and they told me it was a supply chain issue and that they couldn't get anymore product in. He said it is not a quality issue and I asked him repeatedly about it. Calling Seiki now to see what their side of the story is.

I got Seiki in... it could be better... but I don't really care enough to send it back and spend any more time trying to figure out what else might be better or waiting on something new to come out.

I think the screen is a slight downgrade from the previous 39" Seiki. I wish it was just gloss, this 'semi-gloss' or whatever makes screen look odd when you see it at an angle... and being so large some of the screen is always at a slight angle to you.

I dunno I still haven't tried to calibrate it or play any games. Was too beautiful of a weekend. Maybe tonight.

Ultra Clear 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Resolution
40" VA Panel, Wide Viewing Angle (178), Response time: 5ms
UHD 60Hz (Display port 1.2 x2 , 60Hz model select required), 30Hz (HDMI 1.4 x2)
Contrast Ratio 5,000:1, PIP, PBP, Flicker Free, MHL
Ultra Slim Bezel Design

Sweet, someone should try it and post their impressions. That's quite a bit cheaper than the Seiki, plus no "supply chain issues."

It is not uncommon for some Korean manufacturers to cheap out on flicker free backlight system....
Then, instead of using direct current to control the backlight voltage like proper PWM free monitors do, they just control the digital white level.
"As a result, contrast ratio is destroyed and it is hard to achieve a satisfactory setup."
better to wait for verification, maybe there is some info on Korean forums?

I'm definitely intrigued. I really like the Seiki, but $300 cheaper and flicker free if that poses to truly be the case and not like igluk is posting about, a cheap workaround would be really nice. It looks like vesa is included as well so a really nice stand could be put to use with the $300 budget.

Back