Secustick Gives False Sense Of Security

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tweakers.net put the Secustick to the test and it failed miserably. The secure 1GB USB stick, approved by the French intelligence service, is supposed to self-destruct when the wrong password is entered too many times. Instead, the company’s website self-destructed and the product has been removed until it can be fixed.

It should be clear that the stick's security is quite useless: a simple program can be used to fool the Secustick into sending its unlock command without knowing the password. Besides, the password.exe application can be adapted so that it accepts arbitrary passwords.

I'd like to see "self-destruct" defined a little better. It conjures up images of a memory stick smoking while it sits in your usb port. I was hoping they'd get a chance to blow one up!

i love the comments that the company makes at the end of the article.

if you are claiming to have a "secure" system there will be without doubt enthusiests that will try to break in, and when they do companies need to learn from their mistakes not just refute it ans say that not everyone is as technically inclined as the the person that "hacked" it.

It's the French. What do you expect? Their idea of security is passing their own puppet strings around to see who can do the stupidest things with them.

Back