Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular $79.99

i may have to upgrade my bronze 620w i like power sipping

A friend of mine has a similar Seasonic (the 760W) and the fanless operation is pretty great. Very quiet fan when on. I had to put my ear up to hear it even over his very quiet watercooling setup.

dayum. Not sure if I should go ahead and swap out my X650 Gold that I got in April 2011 now or give it another year or two. I like power efficiency.

dayum. Not sure if I should go ahead and swap out my X650 Gold that I got in April 2011 now or give it another year or two. I like power efficiency.
Gold is right below platinum in efficiency, it would take a long time to recoup $79.99AR with that tiny increase.

Not to mention there's other things you can do in your home to save that extra dollar or two a month :p

But otherwise it's a great deal on a silent, modular, extremely efficient power supply imho.

Gold is right below platinum in efficiency, it would take a long time to recoup $79.99AR with that tiny increase.

Not to mention there's other things you can do in your home to save that extra dollar or two a month :p

But otherwise it's a great deal on a silent, modular, extremely efficient power supply imho.

Indeed. The X series are very, very efficient units, coming in just under the minimum "Platinum" ratings @ 50% (1.5~2% difference) and just a tad lower @ 100% (2~3.5%)...I run my X850 with a heavy load 24/7 (CPU+2X 290s @100% load) along with a ~30W water pump and fans that draw some decent wattage and its rock solid..You made a good choice getting the X650 Gold and to replace it with "just" a Platinum unit would be a waste of money IMO..Spend that money on another nice SSD or something that you would actually notice..

Indeed. The X series are very, very efficient units, coming in just under the minimum "Platinum" ratings @ 50% (1.5~2% difference) and just a tad lower @ 100% (2~3.5%)...I run my X850 with a heavy load 24/7 (CPU+2X 290s @100% load) along with a ~30W water pump and fans that draw some decent wattage and its rock solid..You made a good choice getting the X650 Gold and to replace it with "just" a Platinum unit would be a waste of money IMO..Spend that money on another nice SSD or something that you would actually notice..
Already have a 4790K, lots of RAM, a 980ti, and a 1TB 850 Evo, nowhere I could really improve on lol, especially for $80. The power supply will be at five years of use in April, so it would have lost some of its efficiency. [H] actually did a retest of a power supply they've had for 7.5 years. It wasn't near the build quality of these Seasonic units, but the results from new to used were pretty different and have me leery of keeping even a high-quality for 'too long'. I realize that this supply will most likely last another several years and still be within tolerances for probably bronze or silver and is unlikely that it will change as drastically as the Silverstone unit did, but I do think I would rather go ahead and swap it out either now or some time soon. :) http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...000w_power_supply_7_year_redux/6#.VpUD1xUrLIU

Already have a 4790K, lots of RAM, a 980ti, and a 1TB 850 Evo, nowhere I could really improve on lol, especially for $80. The power supply will be at five years of use in April, so it would have lost some of its efficiency. [H] actually did a retest of a power supply they've had for 7.5 years. It wasn't near the build quality of these Seasonic units, but the results from new to used were pretty different and have me leery of keeping even a high-quality for 'too long'. I realize that this supply will most likely last another several years and still be within tolerances for probably bronze or silver and is unlikely that it will change as drastically as the Silverstone unit did, but I do think I would rather go ahead and swap it out either now or some time soon. :) http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...000w_power_supply_7_year_redux/6#.VpUD1xUrLIU

I didn't realize your unit was 5 years old. As for the test [H]ard did, I remember it, and am glad they did it since it put some of the old way of thinking to bed..I cringe when I see guys have a top tier rig powered by a mediocre "high end" PSU from years past.

Back