Seasonic S12 - I picked good?

somecallmeTim

[H]F Junkie
After reading the sticky, faq's, more reading and research I settled on and ordered the SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT from NewEgg on Monday and should be here either tomorrow or Thursday. My older Antec TruControl 550w has taken one too many hits from a faulty surge suppressor (that seemes to have taken one too many hits itself) and it just doesn't have stable outputs anymore. I thought about going modular, but I was on a pretty firm budget and wanted the best PSU that I could get for my $140 (okay,, $138.01 shipped)

I've read nothing but good about this PSU, and I like the fact that it's quiet very effiecient, and can easily handle my system:
AMD A64 4000+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (coming with PSU, swapping out my ASRock Dual)
4 x 512 Ballistix PC3200
BFG 7800 GToc
SB Audigy 2
Seagate 250GB SATAII HD
Seagate 200GB PATA HD
LiteOn DVDRW

Honestly, should I pick up another BFG7800GT and go SLi, I'm not going to have issues with the PSU am I? Hell, I problably could have gotten away with a lesser PSU for the sytem I have.. but when I upgrade, I like to get the best for my hard earned dollar. I'm swapping out the mobo because I replaced my CPU when I thought it was bad, as well as the mobo and 2 of my sticks of Ram, (which the PSU has been the culprit all along) so I have a "spare" A64 running around and may as well upgrade another system with it since it has AGP and I have plenty of AGP cards running around.

Anyway, just wanted to double check my choice, although it's a bit too late ;)

Peace,
Tim

GREAT choice. It should do 2 7800's without issue.

I have the same power supply and love it. I built this computer to be pretty quiet and it does a great job of going along with that :)

w00t!
Although I've been working with computer for... 25 years (gasp) and have probably forgotten more than half of you have learned (I mean, who here rememers CP/M?) I've found this place to really be a fantastic resource... hell, I'd never even heard of Seasonic unitl I started reading in here looking for a good PSU for someone else... :) - my degree and background is electronics and these Seasonics impress the hell out of me. I know how important good power is - without it, your system is poop (which is where I'm at now), too bad more people don't understand that. "OH LOOK! THIS CASE COMES WITH A 600W PSU AND IT'S ONLY $55!!!!!1111" - then they wonder why thier system isn't stable..

I should have it tomorrow... Just in time for our Thursday night BF2 server raid!
/me does happy dance

Peace,
Tim

Yes, you picked one of the best. I have a similar one myself and i'm very happy with it. It is reliable and quiet.

I've been running an S12-600 with the same motherboard and two 7800GTXs SLI since the 7800s were released and have never had a single problem.

It's in and running... and it is absolutely wonderful. My system is solid - played about 3 and half hours of BF2 last night without a problem. Very nice PSU, and very quiet. My vid card makes the most noise now - case has 120mm's front and rear... don't like noise.

+1 vote for Seasonic...

To be honest, I do not know why I didn't look at the S12 series since the begining.... they are absolutley the best psu that I've ever owned... I have two S12 600's and they are dead silent.... I mean dead silent... I love it.

Ockie said:
To be honest, I do not know why I didn't look at the S12 series since the begining.... they are absolutley the best psu that I've ever owned... I have two S12 600's and they are dead silent.... I mean dead silent... I love it.

I'm in the same boat... I've been a supporter of Antec and Enermax PSU's for year and thought "Seasonic... who thell is that?". So I started reading and reading some more and and from what I remember from my Electronic degree the Seasonic's are one damn fine PSU. A friend of mine has a 350w Seasonic and powers an OC'd 2500+, 2 GB of ram, two HD's, optical and an OC'd 6800Ultra with no problems.

I almost splurged for the M12, but needed to get another motherboard so I could use mine to rebuild one of my servers...well "need" is subjective I guess - just couldn't see a perfectly good A64 3000+ laying around now could I?

For the money, the Seasonic S12 series is an outstanding value - I feel silly for not starting to buy them sooner, they are going to be a required part of my system builds from now on.

If you need more than a seasonic 600, I'd look into the new M model or a PCPC SSI.

Back