Searching for (3) 24" Monitors for new setup.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Limp Gawd
Hello folks,

I've read/searched just about every single thread here in the past few months, along with other countless places. It seems like for every good review of a monitor, someone has a bad one about it. It's left me undecided.

I'm interested in purchasing 3 new monitors in the near future. They will be used for gaming, research, work, office, movies, some photoshop/video editing. Just about everything I can get my hands dirty with. My computer is a work horse, I use it for everything. I need a nice balance, skewed more towards gaming/productivity (I'd say 65% gaming). I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and multi-tasker.

I have a few in mind that I'm looking at, but I figured I'd reach out and see if there was something I missed.

Appreciate any further insight.

Are you going to use the monitors in an Eyefinity / Surround Setup or Standard extended desktop mode? I would assume you are talking Eyefinity / Surround but you never really said. Also will you be using Portrait or Landscape and how much $ do you plan on spending?

Doh!

Well I'm going to end up grabbing a 6950 2GB for starters. I plan on powering the 3 monitors using the single card, I won't be doing much eyefinity, but I'm keeping my options open. I'm typically just using extended desktop.

I will have separate programs running constantly on each different monitor. I do a lot of research so having an article on one monitor, another article/stream/video on another, while a third one with some sort of office program - will be common. I will very likely end up picking up another 6950 2GB and running them in crossfire and going eyefinity if it peaks my interest.

I've never had anything like it, but I can picture myself playing BF3 in eyefinity and liking it a hell of a lot :)

If you are going to have 3 monitors and 6950 crossfire and not run them in eyefinity i personally would think you are crazy :)

I recently made the move from one 24" to 3 24" HP ZR24w's and absolutely love them. I deffinatly know what you mean by you read three good reviews than the fourth is so negative you have no idea what to think.

The first thing to start with is if you plan on using portrait or landscape. Its a big decision because TN panels in portrait pretty much suck. (Especially 24" Panels) On top of this you need to decide if you are looking for 16:10 or 16:9 monitors. I would highly highly suggest 16:10 if Portrait mode interests you. The extra pixels really make a difference.

Once you make those two decisions its either going to really narrow down your options, or if your ok with 16:9's in landscape give you a shitload of options.

I'm looking at the higher end TN panels with lower response time, because for gaming it's important to me. I play a lot of fast paced/twitched games competitively so I need the edge.

I was figuring along the lines of a nice 24" 1080p TN panel. I plan on running landscape x3 monitors.

The second 6950 would be added if I liked eyefinity enough, no doubt would run it/need it at 5760x1080 resolution. I can't think of an advantage to buy a second video card right off the bat. I'll test the waters with 1 for starters, and if I don't like it, well then I am just fine without it. I'd game only on 1 monitor, and have the other 2 open for other productivity/entertainment things.

Also little side note, what is everyones favorite active DP to DVI adapter? There is one I read somewhere roaming around people liked for 30 bucks? I couldn't find it.

Newegg has a few of those adapters

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ni_Display_port_to_DVI-_-14-999-034-_-Product

If your going to go with Landscape and TN honestly there's so many options. You dont have much to worry about. Asus seems to review very well and newegg has some nice priced monitors from them like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

That would suit you fine. Just find a model that has good ratings, and fits what you need, ie Adjustable stand, Price, looks, whatever matters to you.

I chose the ZR24w's after months of deliberation because i insisted on going portrait, having tried landscape eyefinity i wasn't all that impressed, but using portrait eyefinity is like have a 46" TV sitting in-front of you capable of pushing 3600x1920 Resolution. But i found that even the 5970 i had struggled, hence the 580's :)

Back