Search is Turned ON! [Google.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
well, you know how the real forum Search is turned off?
i think i may have found a way to circumvent that, though it's probably riddled with problems and rife with reasons why it won't work, here it is:

www.google.com

that's right, now to search the hardforum, merely type this in your search query

searchquery site:www.hardforum.com

just replace "searchquery" with whatever you want to look for.

also, if you want to look in a specific Forum on the [H], just do this:
go to your desired forum, copy the web address of it

so if i wanted to search for "Chaintech" on the G[H] forum, i'd do the following:

1. go to www.google.com
2. type in: "Chaintech site:http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40"
(just like that, but without the "")
3. see if the results are worth reviewing.

just a thought....

meh, i've tested by just searching from site:www.hardforum.com and unfortunately, it doesn't go deep enough, i have yet to test via specific forum links.

i'll post back with results.

Originally posted by foreignkid
Google prolly doesnt index the forums quick enough timewise to be effective, if at all.

yeah, i guess you're right.

but wait, then how does that work for sites who have on their webpage "Search our site:________
Provided by Google"

:confused:

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
yeah, i guess you're right.

but wait, then how does that work for sites who have on their webpage "Search our site:________
Provided by Google"

:confused:

First off, google has a bot that goes out to the site and checks it for what can be searched for, Since im sure kyle is atleast a little familer on robots, he probly has them turned off via the robots.txt or whatever file does it, Hence google searches wont work

This has been tried before - it doesn't work. BBS explained why, and I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was something along the lines of [H] forum doesn't allow some kind of indexing.

Why don't we start something like the search will work for the first 3rd of the month for names beginning with A-G or something like that, 2nd 3rd for H-N and last third of each month for O-Z. This way at least some of us can use the search feature some of the time.

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
Why don't we start something like the search will work for the first 3rd of the month for names beginning with A-G or something like that, 2nd 3rd for H-N and last third of each month for O-Z. This way at least some of us can use the search feature some of the time.
i don't really think that's the problem. waits for thread to be deemed off topic....

iirc, the google bot can be disabled with some parts on many BBs, because it can slow them or whatever, else I'm not sure but often it will ignore the URL past the ? or = or whatever sign in it, I can't quite remember, I used to know alot about how google works....

All is fine and good, but the search still DOESN'T work. And that is all that matters.:(

Originally posted by tim
i don't really think that's the problem. waits for thread to be deemed off topic....

it was OT from the first post.

Why doesn't the search button work on these forums....that option is sooooooooooo useful...

my two guesses...
1. the "Search indexes" which basically are indexes of everyhting on here (Its a vbulletin thing, much like directory indexing in Windows NT, 2k, Xp, 03) got corrupt. and bieng it can take almost two days for a midsized forum to have its indexes erebuilt, this place would take at least a month...
2. or its too much of a load on teh server

Suffice to say I tried that a while ago with my google toolbar when i wanted to find things. Didn't work, and its a real pain.

Originally posted by RBall151
Why doesn't the search button work on these forums....that option is sooooooooooo useful...
It will be back eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back