Seagate : multiple drives RMA

Aesma

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. I've got one Samsung and 7-8 Seagate drives to RMA. On Seagate's website, multiple drives RMA is only available to resellers and the like, which I'm not. Do you know if by contacting Seagate (through their forum maybe ?) I could get a multiple RMA anyway ? I don't want to make that many parcels, and I would rather avoid paying shipping for each, too.

I'm in France if that has any incidence, though the French support page is identical to the one in English, only translated.

At work I sent 3 drives separately and they shipped a box back that holds 5 drives. So now each time I ship drives back to them (3 to 4 times a year) I ship 3 to 5 at a time and I always get a box that holds 5 drives back from them. We ship through the normal form. Although I realize this will not help your current situation.

Last edited:
So you make a parcel with several drives with as many RMA numbers ?

Actually, you just need a login, don't need to be a reseller or such. I created a login for my company so I could use the multi-rma without issue.

/D

I have a login but it doesn't work anymore. And it doesn't seem possible to just create a new one as a simple customer.

Just had this issue with Seagate... my *just* over one-year-old account quit working - it said that there was a technical issue or my account was disabled. So... thought I'd try a new account with a different email address. Then it said the site was having technical problems. Three days later, same thing. Gave up, emailed support. Got a response, finally, and they just reset my password. I can get in now... if you have an account, just email them through their support form, I saw no other option (short of calling... which rarely ends well).

Mike

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I cant for time life of me find where to register an account on the seagate site so that I can do multiple drive RMAs. I keep getting redirected around in circles, its really frustrating.

Thanks. I assume I can just use a fake company name and they wont really look into it?

Not really fake, just make it some variation of your name is what I do for when places require a company name.

I setup an account last time I RMA'd and this time it let me do multiple drives from my server. I still have some 1TB's that were bought in the 5yr warranty days. I wasn't watching my RAID5 too close and I guess it's had a dead drive for a few weeks. I had 2 with the click of death (1 was the hot-spare, 1 was part of the RAID5) so I got pretty lucky there.

My 3rd 1.5TB 7200.11 just died in my unraid box so I'm going to send them all in. Hopefully I'll get some 2TB back :D

Maybe, I've always gotten refurbs of the same size. I think one time I got a small size upgrade on a laptop drive. (750GB instead of 500GB).

makes me wonder if they're even worth the $9.99/ea advance replacement fee, they're such troublesome drives.

I never bothered with advanced replacement, but that's me. Cost me ~$9.75 to ship back 2 of the drives, don't really want to spend much more.

Over the course of ~3.5 years I've had maybe 4-5 of these 1TB 7200.11's die and they're running 24/7 in a RAID5. The 2 that recently died were some of the refurbs from previous RMA's.

They only charge $9.99 in Canada for Advance RMA, which is probably what I'd have to pay for Canada Post anyway. Plus I can reuse their redic packaging. I guess for 10bux, 1.5TB is pretty good considering today's prices.

Yea, I'd say it's worth it now. I didn't realize advance RMA covered return shipping back to them. So it's not that bad of a deal, I usually pay ~$7-8 to ship a single drive through UPS. Adding 1 more to the same box is only a couple bucks more it seems.

When 1TB's were $45-60 I was debating even bothering with RMAing my drives, But I figured then $7 was still cheaper than $45.

Getting a bit off topic though, just ramblin about Seagate RMA's.

Back