Seagate makes a mess with 7200.14 1TB platters drives not having 1TB platters !

Aesma

[H]ard|Gawd
This has been discussed for weeks now in my country (France) but I didn't see anything here so there you go :

www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/confusion-seagate-7200-14-platter-138435/

http://www.hardware.fr/news/12580/seagate-7200-14-2-to-avec-plateaux-667-go.html (French only)

Lots of people are buying 2TB 7200.14 drives hoping for incredible performance thanks to two 1TB platters, and getting average performance caused by 3 platters.

11475_ST2000DM001-portada.jpg

Apparently this is happening at least in Asia and Europe, don't know about the US. 2TB drives are definitely affected, 1TB drives are probably affected too.

Are they being advertised as the same model number?

I've moved on to 3TB drives. All 1TB platters in those.

Oh my, getting mine from the post office tomorrow (Germany). Being curious...
Thanks for that info

Unfortunately, at the bottom of just about ever piece of Seagate marketing documentation, as well as the EULA you agree to by using the drive is this little ditty: "Seagate reserves the right to change, without notice, product offerings or specifications". Your recourse as to a specification change where 1> it didn't affect size and/or capacity (which is the major legal distinction as to where case law has gone) and 2> the terms and conditions stated it can be changed without notice would put you at a significant disadvantage in any suit.
That said, I agree it sucks. IANAL, I am not saying what it fair or right, I am just pointing out what I have seen to be legal.

couldn't care less what Seagates specifies in its warranty-yadda-yadda,
In Germany you are allowed to return anything (to the merchant) bought over internet within 2 weeks without specifying a reason. And you get the shipping fees back as well, if the item is over ~40 eur. long live europe ;)

So, would you return or keep it?
Are there any better alternatives? I am not dependent on that drive, I just wanted to switch my old one to get another backup-drive...

couldn't care less what Seagates specifies in its warranty-yadda-yadda,
In Germany you are allowed to return anything (to the merchant) bought over internet within 2 weeks without specifying a reason. And you get the shipping fees back as well, if the item is over ~40 eur. long live europe ;)

So, would you return or keep it?
Are there any better alternatives? I am not dependent on that drive, I just wanted to switch my old one to get another backup-drive...

So if you order something and don't like it for whatever reason, the reseller is required to refund you the full selling price, VAT, the original shipping costs and your return shipping costs? Not quite a business friendly environment is it?

Well, that law only applies to private customers. If you run a business you have to still think about what to buy first.

EDIT: The better alternative would be the 3 TB version, you get always 1 TB platters. It also has one of the best price/performance ratios of currently available drives.

Last edited:
ah, man something new i learn today. they don't teach you this in school.

and of course that consumer-friendly law is priced into the items, we pay way more than you in america...

And the VAT is 2-2.5x our sales tax, and most of the "progressive" European governments have a vacuum inserted into your wallets for taxes.

Does it work? Burn it in. If it stays alive, then keep it.

LOL! Too true... It's becoming increasingly rare to get a hard drive of any capacity, any performance that isn't either DOA or dead shortly after being installed.

So if you order something and don't like it for whatever reason, the reseller is required to refund you the full selling price, VAT, the original shipping costs and your return shipping costs? Not quite a business friendly environment is it?

I seem to remember this was done for businesses, because people were very reluctant to buy online. However the EU law is more lax than that, so in France it's only one week and you pay the return shipping.

So it's...

Germany = 2 weeks
France = 1 week
Denmark = 2 weeks (hardware only, not media like games and movies where the seal is broken, unbroken seal are returnable)

Back