Scythe Kozuti Low-pro cooler

bbbrad

Weaksauce
Haven't seen this before, not sure if its in the US yet because it shows it priced in €(25). But 32$ wouldn't be a bad price.

http://fudzilla.com/reviews/item/22929-scythe-kozuti-low-profile-cooler-tested

Kozuti_cooler_box_normal.jpg

The picture suggests the fan blows upwards, which might benefit those with PSUs directly over top their CPU, but the box art looks like it's meant to be oriented to blow down...

In either case, you could accomplish the same with a big shuriken (at a modest height penalty which TBH can't truly affect anyone), but I've found that they're becoming more difficult to track down.

It does seem like they've revisited the mounting system which was definitely an area in which the aforementioned cooler sucked it.

Will it work on ITX boards with the socket next to the PCI slot? Don't think so

I should be getting my Asus Board today. I can take a picture for you guys if you want? I already own the Scythe Kozuti! :) And it was around the Low 30~35 price wise.

I might pick one up next week, see how well it works with my Quad.

It might, here some pics that i gather while reseaching a couple of weeks ago.

kozuti.png

I should be getting my Asus Board today. I can take a picture for you guys if you want? I already own the Scythe Kozuti! :) And it was around the Low 30~35 price wise.
Pls post if you can, as even though the pictures seems to show it does, it would be great to see it with a GPU mounted.

Last edited:

kozuti.png

Pls post if you can, as even though the pictures seems to show it does, it would be great to see it with a GPU mounted.

Lol I posted that pic in some thread here...silly me

doesnt the 100mm scythe scuriken fit on most of the boards with the slot right next to the socket. This being basically the same thing with some retooling & made a little shorter one would think it would fit as well.

kozuti.png

What mobo is that?

The picture suggests the fan blows upwards, which might benefit those with PSUs directly over top their CPU, but the box art looks like it's meant to be oriented to blow down...
The fan appears to be secured by piano wire and shouldn't be difficult to yank it out and flip it.

Would it not be too noisy with that 80mm fan?
.. also I don't see a provision to put 120-140mm fan on top

imag0031mk.jpg

imag0032bt.jpg

imag0034cf.jpg

imag0035ga.jpg

imag0036d.jpg

imag0037dw.jpg

Here are my pictures from my phone. I added my 5850 from my other computer system so show how much room you have for the video card.

My Board is an ASUS P8H67-I

just saw this cooler for sale from directron and thought id come here to ask if anyones heard of it. $25 on sale, doesnt say if its free shipping or not and dont care enough to check since i dont have a use for it. link

Just got this heatsink in. Here are my initial impressions:

- Sits a lot lower than I initially thought. A good thing for cramped cases like the SG05

- I can only get the 80mm fan working when it's pointed blowing down. Reason for this is that there's a hump (for lack of a better term) over the heatpipes that sit over the CPU that push against the center of the fan. Since that part of it is part of the blades when set blowing upwards, it stops the blades from spinning. I might not have the fan clips secured right. I'll have to test this more.

- Replacing the 80mm fan and putting a 120mm fan on top cut my temps by about 7C. I used a 1300RPM Noctua, so a higher RPM / CFM fan will probably cut it more.

- Interestingly, the top / wider part of the heatsink has the same fan clip notches as the lower part that holds the 80mm fan. I'm going to see if it's possible to put 120MM fan clips from my TRUE to hold down the fan I set on top. Would make for a super simple mod. I blew up midnknight's image as I didn't have my camera charged:
AxBVK.jpg

- One bad thing is that on the H55N (and probably any mitx that has the CPU socket in the same place) the only way to mount the heatsink to keep the PCIe slot open causes it to slightly overhang on the closet RAM slot. You can't put in RAM (and I'm assuming take out) without taking the heatsink off first. Also, tall RAM won't fit either. Standard height RAM with heatsinks are fine. Haven't tried Ripjaws yet to see if they clear it.

- Still need to compare with the Prolimatech Samuel-17 to see which wins out. The flatter base of the Kozuti spreads the TIM a lot better than the Samuel. But the Samuel has more heatpipes ( 6 vs 3).

can you use an 80mm on the bottom and a 120mm on top at the same time? if so can you test it and tell us what difference it makes? thanks!

Just got this heatsink in. Here are my initial impressions:

- Sits a lot lower than I initially thought. A good thing for cramped cases like the SG05

- I can only get the 80mm fan working when it's pointed blowing down. Reason for this is that there's a hump (for lack of a better term) over the heatpipes that sit over the CPU that push against the center of the fan. Since that part of it is part of the blades when set blowing upwards, it stops the blades from spinning. I might not have the fan clips secured right. I'll have to test this more.

- Replacing the 80mm fan and putting a 120mm fan on top cut my temps by about 7C. I used a 1300RPM Noctua, so a higher RPM / CFM fan will probably cut it more.

- Interestingly, the top / wider part of the heatsink has the same fan clip notches as the lower part that holds the 80mm fan. I'm going to see if it's possible to put 120MM fan clips from my TRUE to hold down the fan I set on top. Would make for a super simple mod. I blew up midnknight's image as I didn't have my camera charged:
http://imgur.com/AxBVK.jpg[/MG]

- One bad thing is that on the H55N (and probably any mitx that has the CPU socket in the same place) the only way to mount the heatsink to keep the PCIe slot open causes it to slightly overhang on the closet RAM slot. You can't put in RAM (and I'm assuming take out) without taking the heatsink off first. Also, tall RAM won't fit either. Standard height RAM with heatsinks are fine. Haven't tried Ripjaws yet to see if they clear it.

- Still need to compare with the Prolimatech Samuel-17 to see which wins out. The flatter base of the Kozuti spreads the TIM a lot better than the Samuel. But the Samuel has more heatpipes ( 6 vs 3).[/quote]
Interested to see the comparison as I have the samuel in both my systems. Oh the samuel does the same on my zotac board, I recently upgraded my memory and had to remove the heatsink to do it.

I had tried posting a long update yesterday but for some reason it didn't take when I hit "submit" and disappeared. So this one's probably going to be a lot shorter :D

I pretty much gave up on using the 80mm fan on the Kozuti for a few reasons. One is that it doesn't seem to work with the fan pointed upwards. The reason being is that there's a "hump" for lack of a better term in the center opposite the CPU core. Pointing the fan upwards causes that hump to push on the center of the fan stopping the blades from moving. Also, like the few reviews I've found have said, it's loud at full speed.

Regardless, for my uses, I'm going for max overclock in an SG05 which works a lot better with the fan pointed up, pulling the heat off the CPU and exhausing it through the PSU and a second side fan. So for me, the stock fan in stock config wasn't going to work out.

Anyway, my testing was done with an i5 750 overclocked to 3.8GHz with 1.312v. Fan used on both was a 120mm Scythe Flex F fan (1600RPM). Intel Burn Test - Standard config to test CPU and RAM for 5 passes. Motherboard was outside of the case for all testing.

The Kozuti did rather well, but did hit 80C on the fifth pass where the Samuel-17 hit 75C. Overall the Samuel always beat out the Kozuti by around 5C. Still with the Kozuti being much lighter, it's pretty impressive.

In the end though, I did go back to the Samuel-17 not just because it cooled better but because it has the added bonus of cooling the motherboard chipset (or RAM depending on how you have it oriented).

Also there were a couple issues I had with the Kozuti, like not being able to use taller RAM. Also, the fan clip idea for mounting a 120mm wouldn't work if the PCI-e is in use because the design of the heatsink is a typical centered approach were the fins extend equally on all four side of the CPU base. Since the fins are already so close to the PCI-e slot, the clips themselves (on top of the fan) would overlap the slot. You could rig it to stay some other way, but you end up losing the size advantage it has over the Samuel anyway so why not just use that instead? Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the Samuel cools my chipset as well do to it's off centered design of the fins / fan mount.

That's not to say it's not a good heatsink. I was pretty impressed with it's performance for being so small and light. And in an HTPC or a light overclocking rig with space concerns it works great. Especially for being only ~$30 and not having to buy a fan. But since that's not what I'm looking for, I didn't test that. I had it on a i5 661 overclocked lightly to 4.0GHz briefly and thought it did pretty well with temps, but I forgot to write the results down... Oops

As a side note, I'm not sure if other people's Samuels are like this or if it's just mine, but the base isn't completely flat and finished to a shine. There are noticable grooves. Put a drop of Isopropyl Alcohol on it and you can see it spread in a line vs in a circle if it was 100% flat. As such, thermal paste tends to also spread along those grooves. So, in order to get a good mount and good performance out of it I had to mount it with the heatpipes to the right (next to the RAM). This causes the thermal paste to spread vertically across the CPU cores. I get even better results with the X-method of applying thermal paste allowing it to spread a little more horizontally as well.

I had tried posting a long update yesterday but for some reason it didn't take when I hit "submit" and disappeared. So this one's probably going to be a lot shorter :D

I pretty much gave up on using the 80mm fan on the Kozuti for a few reasons. One is that it doesn't seem to work with the fan pointed upwards. The reason being is that there's a "hump" for lack of a better term in the center opposite the CPU core. Pointing the fan upwards causes that hump to push on the center of the fan stopping the blades from moving. Also, like the few reviews I've found have said, it's loud at full speed.

Regardless, for my uses, I'm going for max overclock in an SG05 which works a lot better with the fan pointed up, pulling the heat off the CPU and exhausing it through the PSU and a second side fan. So for me, the stock fan in stock config wasn't going to work out.

Anyway, my testing was done with an i5 750 overclocked to 3.8GHz with 1.312v. Fan used on both was a 120mm Scythe Flex F fan (1600RPM). Intel Burn Test - Standard config to test CPU and RAM for 5 passes. Motherboard was outside of the case for all testing.

The Kozuti did rather well, but did hit 80C on the fifth pass where the Samuel-17 hit 75C. Overall the Samuel always beat out the Kozuti by around 5C. Still with the Kozuti being much lighter, it's pretty impressive.

In the end though, I did go back to the Samuel-17 not just because it cooled better but because it has the added bonus of cooling the motherboard chipset (or RAM depending on how you have it oriented).

Also there were a couple issues I had with the Kozuti, like not being able to use taller RAM. Also, the fan clip idea for mounting a 120mm wouldn't work if the PCI-e is in use because the design of the heatsink is a typical centered approach were the fins extend equally on all four side of the CPU base. Since the fins are already so close to the PCI-e slot, the clips themselves (on top of the fan) would overlap the slot. You could rig it to stay some other way, but you end up losing the size advantage it has over the Samuel anyway so why not just use that instead? Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the Samuel cools my chipset as well do to it's off centered design of the fins / fan mount.

That's not to say it's not a good heatsink. I was pretty impressed with it's performance for being so small and light. And in an HTPC or a light overclocking rig with space concerns it works great. Especially for being only ~$30 and not having to buy a fan. But since that's not what I'm looking for, I didn't test that. I had it on a i5 661 overclocked lightly to 4.0GHz briefly and thought it did pretty well with temps, but I forgot to write the results down... Oops

As a side note, I'm not sure if other people's Samuels are like this or if it's just mine, but the base isn't completely flat and finished to a shine. There are noticable grooves. Put a drop of Isopropyl Alcohol on it and you can see it spread in a line vs in a circle if it was 100% flat. As such, thermal paste tends to also spread along those grooves. So, in order to get a good mount and good performance out of it I had to mount it with the heatpipes to the right (next to the RAM). This causes the thermal paste to spread vertically across the CPU cores. I get even better results with the X-method of applying thermal paste allowing it to spread a little more horizontally as well.

Thanks for those results, Yea my samuels have the marks on the base as well. I use the x-method as well to apply TIM.

Thanks for the pics guys. I'm going to go with the exact Asus mobo, CPU fan and the SG05 thanks to your help.

Uh...isn't it bad to place hardware on the outside of antistatic bags? Isn't the outside conductive?

Uh...isn't it bad to place hardware on the outside of antistatic bags? Isn't the outside conductive?
As long as that hardware isn't plugged in / running there's nothing bad in resting it on a sheet of metal.

At stock speeds, more than enough. Overclocked? Depends on the overclock.

my xfx black edition 6850 won't fit because of the bracket underneath the gpu chip touches the kozuti fins. urgh.

i unplugged the 3000rpm scythe 80mm fan and put on top a 120mm scythe slipstream kaze-jyu ni fan for better sound characteristics.

i used one 'type b' 120mm scythe fan clip that seems to hold it in on 1 side and the otherside touches or nearly touches the video card pcb.

my brand new ocz agility 3 ocd was a lemon (fuck! i hate ocz, i should have never given them a second chance) so i can't run anymore tests until i replace it tomorrow. blowing air onto the cpu seems to be a few degrees cooler than sucking up into the silverstone psu fan--which doesn't seem to be spinning much at all to make it worthwhile.

side1gu.jpg

side2c.jpg

side3m.jpg

top1ov.jpg

top2f.jpg

Gallery page: http://imageshack.us/g/10/side1gu.jpg/

Hope this helps someone.

I'm using this cooler on an Asus F1A75-I Deluxe and when it's oriented with heatpipes on the "side", I have about half an inch or more of space between the heatsink and the RAM (GSkill Sniper stuff, which is pretty tall)

Oriented with the heatpipes front-to-back, it is about 1 sheet of paper's thickness away from the RAM.

Additionally, for anyone wondering how it compares to the Stock AMD Heatsink in terms of height, It's the exact same height.

For my implementation though, it is too wide. The Voom 2 case has grooves machines into it that stick out a bit. These grooves are used to hold the screws that allow the end caps to be screwed into place.

The heatsink is tall enough and wide enough that it hits one of these grooves so I am left with three choices:

Continue to use the stock heatsink/fan combo, which is inadequate for many reason
Use a different case
Use a grinder to remove the metal that interferes with the heatsink.

I chose option 2

Travla C292 was ordered, then I received a call saying they were out of stock and did not expect more until next month.

I emailed the company back and told them I could use either the C299 or the C287.

Hoping they ship it out today because I'd like to finish my project sometime before the end of the Mayan calendar...

EDITED TO ADD:

With this heatink/Fan combination, you do not mount it to the motherboard. You mount the motherboard to the heatsink/fan.

Due to the way the unit is manufacturered, combined with the way the retention brackets are installed and oriented, you may find yourself placing the heatsink on the floor upside down and flipping over the motherboard to mount it to the heatsink

Last edited:
Back