Scientists Have Invented Transparent Wood

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine all the things you could do with transparent wood. The possibilities are endless. Let's all just hope this isn't another early April Fools joke.

Scientists have developed transparent wood that could be used in building materials and could help home and building owners save money on their artificial lighting costs. Their material, reported in ACS’ journal Biomacromolecules, also could find application in solar cell windows.

Yes, because I would love to have all of my house walls be transparent...

Imagine all the things you could do with transparent wood. The possibilities are endless. Let's all just hope this isn't another early April Fools joke.

Scientists have developed transparent wood that could be used in building materials and could help home and building owners save money on their artificial lighting costs. Their material, reported in ACS’ journal Biomacromolecules, also could find application in solar cell windows.

is it still a forest if you can't see the trees?

I'd prefer translucent wood rather than transparent.

Do they do transparent skin as well?
If so, they'll never catch him in the act!

we already have that..
Aluminium oxynitride

Or straight up sapphire (Al2O3). Of course, there's not going to be a transparent metal. A quick looks at the energy band diagrams (and definitions of metals vs. semiconductors vs. insulators, etc) tells you that.

Paper isn't a spoof. I didn't read beyond the abstract, but it was printed Mar 4.

Fantastic, saving that $3 a month in lighting cost will really pay off compared to the massive heating and cooling costs from not using insulation.

Fantastic, saving that $3 a month in lighting cost will really pay off compared to the massive heating and cooling costs from not using insulation.
So ... next step... invisible insulation?

Next step in transparent governments

So transparent you can see through them!

This is more reinforced acrylic than wood. I have doubts that screws or nails will work to well on this material without pre-drilling every hole.

Just think of the insurance scams you can now run. Surely this will burn with a transparent fire?

Termite 1: what did you have for dinner?

Termite 2: wood. But it was a light meal.

PA da dump!

Thank you thank you I'll be here all week. Try the viel and tip your waiter!

how different is this to Cellophane? i'm sure it's 1000% more expensive ....

We already have it. It's called paper. Especially tracing paper. You can see through it easily.

Just name one practical application where transparent wood is useful or beneficial. I can't seem to come up with any. Building transparent houses doesn't seem to be such a good idea. We have windows for daylight, and at night the transparency won't help much with lighting costs.

Just name one practical application where transparent wood is useful or beneficial. I can't seem to come up with any. Building transparent houses doesn't seem to be such a good idea. We have windows for daylight, and at night the transparency won't help much with lighting costs.
If its very very cheap... Use instead of glass is about the only thing im thinking.

transparent ladders, bridges, doors, drawers, countertops, desks, tree houses, trojan horses, toilet seats, etc...

Back