School me on RTS

N3mi5is

Gawd
I've never been a big fan of RTS games (most of them in the past look like your fighting with giant alien bugs etc. just doesn't interest me).

I'm getting quite bored of FPS nowadays so I just downloaded the COH demo. That was the most fun I've had getting my ass kicked in any game lol.

So, I'll definately be picking this up, what are some other RTS that play similar (or better?) than COH? I'm D/L the WIC demo right now as well.

Also, how can I go about not getting my ass kicked?

In the final level of the COH demo you have to defend 3 bridges, the town hall and a church in Carentan from a German counter-offensive. I had an MG nest with a V of sandbags from each side (in front of each bridge), paratroopers and snipers in the buildings over looking the bridges, one anti-tank gun per bridge, and a 30 cal squad on the sand-bags at each bridge. I placed mines all across the bridge as well as barbed wire to stop infantry. The third bridge I actually forgot to put an anti-tank gun on, and that was where they broke through. As soon as a tank got through my defenses on the right bridge, it went down-hill quick. I managed to fall back to the church and hold out with airstrikes until my armored re-informents arrived, but lost everything except that church.

Sorry for the long post, that was the most fun I've had in a game in a long time :D

Dawn of War is made by Relic, save devs as CoH. It's worth a look at the demo at least. World in Conflict is also a good choice as you'll soon see. I recently picked up Sins of a Solar Empire and so far it's a blast to play. If you crave realistic battle, don't forget to try out any of the Total War games, they're fantastic.

The Dawn of War Series is nice because it "front loads" the action so you spend more time managing the combat and less time on the resources.

But that makes it hard for me because I'm a slow thinker and am still trying to adust from my C&C Generals days of sitting there quietly working on resources and fortifications. If I try that in any of the Dawn of War games I will get gang banged by orks before I can even get to the second control point. :)

The good thing about the Dawn of War series and Company of Heroes is you can download other people's replays and learn a different strategy if your new to RTS.

haha this post is kind of funny to me, mostly because I'm the same way, I like my FPS games, but I'll occasionally try an RTS game. I also just got Sins of a Solar Empire, haven't played it yet though, looks difficult... but when me and my friends get together to play games most of them aren't into FPS games so we usually play Age of Empires 2... it's still pretty fun. For newer games though I think CoH is one of the better ones, play through the original and if you're still into it pick up the expansion Opposing Forces I think it is.

Also, Supreme Commander is kind of a cool futuristic RTS game, that takes some definite strategery also.

Supreme commander was, for me, a big disappointment. I still play Total Annihilation, and that's a blast. I've played a fair bit of CoH, but I just feel like Dawn of War is a much better game (Certainly faster).

I'd definitely try Dawn of War if you haven't, otherwise WiC is my favorite RTS next to Tib Sun. :D

Well it's something rather unique to RTS games. It doesn't really apply to other genres. Instead of partaking in something you can't/shouldn't/wouldn't do in reality, RTS games offer you the ability to play god and ravage the enemy. Amass resources, armies, minions, etc. Or even The Sims, for example. You play a character and yet you're also god. Build your house, customize yourself, your family, etc. Everything can be exactly how you want it to be.

I like RTS because of the sheer amount of carnage. I am into C&C3 right now.

Supreme Commander just might be the most polarizing RTS game ever made. Yes, even more so than Total Annihilation. But it's also definitely a massive timesink. If you're just starting in the RTS genre, stay away from it...unless you're a sucker for huge (and I mean huge) armies blowing each other to hell, it'll drive you nuts. The more "intimate" (smaller theater of war) RTSs are a much easier way to get introduced to the genre, and CoH is probably a great starting point.

Beyond that? The Dawn of War series has already been mentioned, and you should have the World in Conflict demo by now (not exactly smaller-theater, but the basic operational style is about the same). This is where folks pipe up with stuff like the Total War series, Command & Conquer 3, Universe At War, and so on...

Not quite RTS, but a must-have for any strategy enthusiast, Rome: Total War and/or Medieval II: Total War. Spent way too much time on Rome... awesome game.

Currently playing Sins of a Solar Empire and finding it very enjoyable. :)

I've always been a fan of RTS games. I just started (finally) playing World in Conflict online. I've played the single player campaign and did some skirmishes but I forgot about the game for a while mostly because of Crysis and COD4. I really like it in that there's lots action with plenty of explosions and destruction :D but there is strategy involved by trying to out-flank and out-maneuver your opponents in order to smack them upside the head....so to speak.:cool:

I like Supreme Commander as well but it's not for the RTS-faint of heart. It definitely takes some experience with the genre to even get a grasp for the game.

N3mi5is said:
Also, how can I go about not getting my ass kicked?

The best way to get better is just to play more. The more you play the more you'll find what works and what doesn't. Sounds cliche but it's true, in my experience at least. Some units work well against others but get owned by different units. Also, multitasking is key. Being able to have a grasp on what all of your units are doing at the same time can go a long way towards winning.

Just got finished playing the world in conflict demo, and it definitely seemed easier than company of heroes did (played both on easy). WIC also seemed easier with the resource allocation in that you start off with a pre-set amount and earned more, instead of capturing things like fuel/ammo etc in company of heroes.

They're both really good, now to decide which one to get...both?

or hold out and get a g92 gts...hmmmm.

If you are looking for RTS games centered more around combat/strategy with emphasis on things like the environment/unit strategies, then I suggest the following:

The Myth series by bungie (Myth, not Myst lol) - probably my all time favorite RTS Series (with Myth II:Soulblighter being my favorite from it). It's an older game, from circa 98' but it still holds up today imo thanks to some things being ahead of it's time, such as physics (Bodies/body parts, blood, etc used physics to fall down hills and do other things) as well as reflections on water and other things that you didn't see that much in that era.

The game itself is a fantasy RTS with an epic storyline. The game is focused 100% on combat, there is no base building, no harvesting resources to build buildings to make units. You get a certain amount of troops and play each chapter (lv) and must use those units wisely to complete the mission. Sometimes you might get reinforcements depending on the lv. In multiplayer this worked by each unit costing a certain amount and players having a select amount to spend on their army which players built before a game starts).

The gameplay is very strategic. Elevation matters a lot, units like Archers/dwarves and such have a longer line of sight/firing distance on hills/cliffs, etc. Archers can even set their arrows on fire and burn tall grass which will do extra damage to units in it. The dwarves use molativ cocktails that explode after thrown and can set down satchel charges which in tandum can cause huge explosions (the satchels can be set off by flaming arrows as well). However the weather can affect both of these, when it's raining in a map it can sometimes cause flaming arrows or the molativ cocktails to go out and not set off. Certain units after faster then others (the dwarves are slow whereas the berserks and such are fast).

Another aspect of the game that you may like (or not) is that the bodies/gore on the battlefields doesn't disappear. When a unit dies it's body/parts stay on the battlefield. After a long battle the area looks like....well like a battle just took place, not all clean like many other RTS games where the bodies/damage disappears after so long. Watching a dwarve's molativ cocktail blow someone up never gets old, then seeing the gibs fall down a hill or hit another unit.

The game had some of the best multiplayer of any RTS I've played and back in it's day it was the "half-life" of the RTS world, thousands of user made mods/conversions/maps, etc were made by the community.

Sadly bungie.net went down some years ago, but the community stepped up and supported the game after take2 stopped doing it and have made patches for it to work today among having their own multiplayer gateway so people can still play online.

To play online you will need to use:
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php
(some good forums there for the games as well)

For a collection of the various mods/conversions,
http://tain.totalcodex.net/

Another good site/community geared toward map making
http://projectmagma.net/

Ok, enough of me pimping myth still :p.

Here are some other great RTS Games i would suggest:

Sacrifice
The Total War series
Homeworld series
Ground Control I/II

That COH mission had about the same results for me, and I consider myself a fairly experienced RTS gamer. I think the computer keeps pounding and wears you out until you have to fall back and then stops the waves of panzers. COH and the expansion pack are great fun - I just finished the expansion pack last week and one of these weekends my entire office is going to have a COH LAN party.

I'd recommend Age of Mythology and the titans expansion pack. It's older (circa 2002) and not the most innovative, but definitely one of the most refined RTS games. Plus it'll run on just about any hardware out there today.

You should pick up The Command & Conquer Saga. There's enough RTS action there to last a year.

just wanted to welcome you to the wonderful world of CoH! My friends and I had an excelent 3 person team on CoH and it was the most fun i've had in a while. one of the coolest parts is talking about the after-action. just go back and reread your original post...lol.

Be prepared though... As a team we never lost online but individualy you can get your butt handed to you. people know many "tricks" online, many I consider cheap(such as running an infantry squad around a building with an MG in it, the MG has a specific cone of fire and has to relocate to shoot them, the whole time the sqaud is firing at it) When we were deep in it we were memorizing the stats of each unit. but it is a FUN game.

as for more games to try

-supreme commander (not my cup of tea but was a fun diversion)
-Command&Conquer (I personally prefer Generals, the same team played that game)
you can pick up the combo pack with all the C&C games for $40.
-Empire Earth series
-Age of Empires series
-world in conflict(played the demo)
-starcraft with expansion
-warcraft (though I never played warcraft 3)
-homeworld series
-total war series

there are many others I can't think of any more right now though

Just an update, picked up COH and I'm lovin' it. Looks fairly good too with all settings maxed (just can't pan the camera down to view the whole map lol)

Back