Scariest video game moments...

Batman: AA - Scarecrow sequence when the screen corrupts as if your video card is artifacting. Almost fell out of my seat thinking my video card was taking a dump.

I have 3

1) Resident Evil 2, basicly the whole game for me felt creepy as shit. I was like 13 and only played it when I was home alone at night.

2) F.E.A.R Demo, I thought the demo was a lot scarier than the actual game, the part where the little girl is near the ladder I almost shit myself lol

3) Counter-Strike, Had a lan at my house and someones computer was producing x500 volume with headphones. I fell asleep and they put headphones on me and turned it all the way up and fired the AWP. I went into a shock and broke their headphones.

So its 1993 and a friend hands me this shareware disk and says try this out. I get home about midnight and boot up the ole' 486. The lights are off and I am alone in the dark. After plugging in the 3.5inch floppy I installed the game on the disk.

It was called Doom.

I played it for a bit. I eventually came to a long, lit corridor. Then the lights at the far end of the corridor turn off. Then more turn off. And more, and more, until I am standing in the light of a single globe with nothing but darkness on all sides. Then the light goes out.

There is a growl.

There is a snarl.

And then a fireball shoots out of the dark taking me right in the chest. I glimpse a clawed hand swinging briefly toward my head before vainly trying to flee a brutal and bloody death.

It scared me shitless.

Shadowgate on the NES

So many creepy moments and eerie music. And so many deaths!

"When you remove the book from its pedestal, the floor collapses, and you fall to your death."

"It's a sad thing your adventures have ended here!!"

"The shield melts under the intensity of the dragon flame. Your body fares no better!! Not even your best friend could recognize your burning body."

"You suddenly find yourself knee-deep in the moat. It seems that the alligators really enjoy your company!!"

"As you consume the liquid in the vial, your body convulses and death spasms quickly follow."

As weak as it makes me sound.... playing FEAR, I went through a little section through a sewer maybe 2? 3? hours into the game... and Alma shows up... I can't find a vid of that specific section but it felt like 30 million tiny spiders had found my spine an attractive climbing resort.

And... any time I turn on Amnesia, I'm already loading my pants XD

I got creeped out a bit the first time I ran into those glowing ghouls down in the subway in Fallout 3. But then I'm not a bit horror fan. And the first time I was ambushed by one of those big raptor thingies.

Pretty much all of Silent Hill. I was just a kid back then and rented it on a whim knowing absolutely nothing about it besides it was made by Konami. I got so creeped out by the first scary part that I had to turn it off until I wasnt home alone to continue playing.

Wolfenstein. The first on on Commodore 64. I was sitting in a room thinking trying to figure out my next move. Everything was nice and quiet. Then an SS guard comes in with "ACHTUNG!" loud as shit! Scared me to death.
(snip

QFT. I must have been 11 or 12 when I started playing Wolfensein on C64 and the SS freaked me out. I never beat that game.

For me it’s not necessarily the “boo” factor I think it’s situations where there’s a combination of things.

For example HL2 Ravenwood level really spooked me as there wasn’t hardly any ammo so you were forced to use the grav gun then the fast zombies show up and the freaking poison headcrab with it’s rattlesnake sound…

Far Cry had a crazy twist. I’m playing the game thinking it’s this nice little jungle shooter with all these pretty graphics and wide open spaces then BOOM you’re attacked my a Trigen. Then you’re in this crazy mad scientist laboratory with dead mutants, scientists and blood all over the walls and I’m thinking… this isn’t what I signed up for.

FEAR got under my skin for some reason. That little girl just freaked me out.. especially that part in the beginning where she’s doing this crazy crab run at you. I couldn't play it for more than 45 min at a time because it was giving me anxiety.

First Resident Evil, there is a part where you are in a room reading a journal of a scientist. It starts off normal and begins to describe how he started feeling sick etc. You put the journal down and the fucking guy bursts from the closet next to you and grabs you, damn near pissed my pants.

for true fear you can't beat what amnesia has to offer.... All other games just have something jump at you.. which is a cheap way to make something scary.

When playing amnesia you are truly afraid for damn near the entire time.. and the encounters are spread out perfectly so that just when you get comfortable and let your guard down, you get scared shitless and spend the next hour going oh god, oh god, please dont find me. . .

Theres nothing scarier than playing amnesia in the dark with headphones on...

and theres not much that is more fun than having a group of friends over, play amnesia in the dark on a tv with the volume up.

When you step into a cavern in Minecraft and you start mining then all of a sudden BAM, ridiculously frightening cavern noises occur and before you know it some monster creeps up behind you and before it attacks you, you turn around and unexpectedly see a creeper right in front of you, which blows up and kills you.

WOOT

Friday the 13th for the NES

This game scared the ever loving crap out of me as a child. Jason would randomly appear on screen while searching cabins for counselors in trouble or out of nowhere on the roads outside (accompanied by a loud WOOSH sound and creepy music). This is probably my most vivid memory of being scared playing a video game.

As for recent games, FEAR, Pnumbra (sp?), Doom 3 and Condemed were all really spooky games. However, nothing compares to Fatal Frame... I had hair standing up on my neck playing that game. My girlfriend at the time couldn't even watch most of the time. It wasn't even scary in the traditional sense, but the tension and uneasiness it would build was unreal. Fatal Frame was probably the creepiest game I've ever played

Resident Evil and Silent Hill series. I didn't get into PC gaming since I had a Mac in the beginning. The only scary game I had for the Mac was an old one set in rural Japan. Amnesia is damn scary.

Resident Evil 2 B Playthrough - This moment scared the crap outta me.

the spiders from Dark Messiah Might and Magic

the part were you had to climb up a giant room while fight spiders as the jump down on u

the whole room was no more than 7 mins worth of fighting and climbing but it took me a good 2 hours to do it cause i got insanly freaked out by those spiders

i hate spiders :p

Amnesia is freaking frigthning. I have ruined a few shorts while playing this game...
Resident Evil 1 was scary too when if first launched more than a decade ago. Not a big fan of being bitten by zombies...

Dead Space and Undying have also given my the creeps.

I was 10 when I played Xcom: UFO Defense for the first time. I remember being terrified of the alien Chryssalids especially at night on the terror missions. Just hearing them walk around during the 'enemy movement' part gave me the creeps.

Only one game has ever scared me....and that's Penumbra. When you are trying to hide from the alien creature thing and he's running behind you. Shits scary, yo.

Back