SBS2008 email from POP3 Catchall

Hey everyone,
Ive been working on this for about 30 hours now so my brain has shut down from too much googlin.

Anyway, I have just rolled out a new SBS 2008 box for a client and we have now discovered they have a catch all pop3 account. Before in 2003 it seemed to be able to acknowledge a catchall account and send the emails to the right people. now its looking for a mailbox to put it to.

Question i have,
1. can it distribute the emails to the users based on the email address from the accout.
2. can i make a mailbox that all the rest/everything goes to that users can access from OWA?

Cheers
Sorry for all the spelling issues, 30 hours is too long...

G

POP3 connector got overhauled for 08, pretty sure the catchall 'n global drop is a disco'd feature.

The POP3 connector is designed as a transitional tool, the ease the segway to direct mail. Although I do have many smaller SBS clients (under 25) that I have continue to use the POP3 connector, I stayed away from the catchall approach, I always did a 1 to 1.

So I believe you'll be stuck either setting up individual POP3s....or moving the client to a smarthost like Postini.

Thanks Stonecat, Had a suspicion that was the case.
Oh well, can i at least have it download from a catch all account and distribute from there?

what is the point for the catchall? dont you have user accounts?

The catchall is from the domain host. So its not really for the client.
I however just like to have a safety net when working with clients emails incase they haven't mentioned their web site uses some random email address.

what is the point for the catchall? dont you have user accounts?

It's basically a wildcard POP account
*@hisdomain.com
Up front,easier to setup...as you just have 1x mailbox
On the other side...more problematic, can cause more frequent hiccups with the incoming mail distribution folder, and crazy spam.
If using the POP3 connector, I've always favored 1 to 1, and setting up the outbound SMTP relay to the POP host.

Back