SBS08 and Untangle in HyperV VMs on same physical box?

joblo37pam

2[H]4U
From what I can see, it looks like SBS08 is supported as a VM on a HyperV server, but a quick google shows some problems with Untangle. Has anyone tried this? I'm a newb to Untangle, so I don't really know what to expect.

I'm sure it would probably work with VMware, but I don't see where Microsoft will support anything other than HyperV for SBS.

Also, is anyone using the included Forefront package for AV on SBS 08? I usually go NOD32, but wouldn't mind giving Forefront a try, especially if I have Untangle running at the perimeter.

Any opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

You would need to use the legacy network adapter in Hyper-V for your Untangle box, and the host integration tools won't work, but other than that you can run it just fine.

Does it run well? The client is still deciding on if they needuser-level web usage reporting. That's the only real feature of Untangle that they want that their old SPI firewall can't do.

How about the Forefront package? I've heard it's decent, but this client is very concerned about security, so that may not be good enough.

Thanks.

Back